• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Recovery + Footstool jump + Up-B = ?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about Sonic a bit recently. Its no mystery that he is hard as hell to play with, and he seems to be rather weak with absolutely no good KO moves other than his F smash. But after playing Brawl for a while, I feel like we just don't understand him very well. I feel like Sakurai made him this way for a reason, and he is a balanced character once we figure out his nuances. I say this because Brawl is ridiculously well balanced as far as I've noticed, and while there are a few characters that stand out above the rest (for now) there aren't really many that are just plain bad (only some characters that are harder to use, but have alot of potential in the right hands, i.e. Sonic or Jiggles).

And so I thought about ways to get KOs with Sonic, and one thing that stood out in my mind was the Footstool Jump. Its no exaggeration when I say that Sonic has a ridiculously good recovery, and its really too bad he doesn't have any effective spikes to use. Then I remembered that all characters have a spike: the footstool jump. Once we become better at doing the FSJ, I think Sonic will become a beast at it, not only because his recovery is ridiculously good, but he can even follow the FSJ up with an Up-B and continue to hit the opponent downwards. This could turn out to be a very effective strategy for Sonic given time and polish IMO.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I've been thinking about Sonic a bit recently. Its no mystery that he is hard as hell to play with, and he seems to be rather weak with absolutely no good KO moves other than his F smash. But after playing Brawl for a while, I feel like we just don't understand him very well. I feel like Sakurai made him this way for a reason, and he is a balanced character once we figure out his nuances. I say this because Brawl is ridiculously well balanced as far as I've noticed, and while there are a few characters that stand out above the rest (for now) there aren't really many that are just plain bad (only some characters that are harder to use, but have alot of potential in the right hands, i.e. Sonic or Jiggles).

And so I thought about ways to get KOs with Sonic, and one thing that stood out in my mind was the Footstool Jump. Its no exaggeration when I say that Sonic has a ridiculously good recovery, and its really too bad he doesn't have any effective spikes to use. Then I remembered that all characters have a spike: the footstool jump. Once we become better at doing the FSJ, I think Sonic will become a beast at it, not only because his recovery is ridiculously good, but he can even follow the FSJ up with an Up-B and continue to hit the opponent downwards. This could turn out to be a very effective strategy for Sonic given time and polish IMO.

Not that this is that important. But the few matches of Brawl I got to play, I picked Sonic. And in one of them, I, by mistake really, did that exact thing you are saying. It looked so awesome.

I actually jumped out, in order to B-Air my opponent (Toon Link), and well, I noticed that I on top of him (so my B-Air would not hit), and that he would soon Up+B, so I jumped (It was just to get back to the stage), and I FSJ him, then I waited a bit, and did Up+B, he avoided it (I never got to hit anyone with it), but he did not make it back to the stage avoiding the Up+B, it was the coolest thing I did. It looked awesome.

I also got a kill with my Neutral B. It was against, hmmm, I think it was Bowser, now I can't remember correctly. In the middle of the match I remembered this post a guy made about Neutral Air being used to gimp recoveries, so after the Bowser did his mid-air jump (while coming back to the stage), I jumped out of the stage and did Neutral B, hit him, then just did it again, hit him again, then I went back to the stage. He did not reach the stage after that.

Edit: Actually it was Donkey Kong, now I remember, because he was using the Albino Donkey color.

I tried the Double-Triple F-Air thing I saw in a video, but I wasn't able to replicate it, heck it was hard landing 1 F-Air.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
*points to his topic*

Quite frankly I've been bothered with this as well. Sonic isn't designed for the knockout blow but for the chase, the gimp, and the mindgame.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
*points to his topic*

Quite frankly I've been bothered with this as well. Sonic isn't designed for the knockout blow but for the chase, the gimp, and the mindgame.

Oh, yeah. Thats exactly where I read the Neutral B thing. I wish I had remembered earlier though (I remembered on my 3rd match, out of 4) so I could try it out more, but at least it worked on that match.

I coudn't connect most aerials with Sonic (I missed B-Air and F-Air a lot), it just seemed kind of hard, any idea why? (Then again I only used Sonic in 3 matches, I probably wasn't used to him)

Edit: Actually I could connect Up-Air a lot, almost every time I did it, it was just F-Air and B-Air I had problems with.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
This sounds like a good strat. Actually, in the right hands, Sonic sounds scary. To build off what Kuja said, instead of combos and building up damage, Sonic is about gimps. He is really ****ing fast, and he even has 2 or three moves that look so similar, which can be used for movement, that you're opponent can hardly read you, for uber mindgames. Then you hit them to the edge (no matter your KO power, any character can hit his opponents to the ledge) then you get them off, then KO with your amazing edgeguarding skills described above. You could do all this in about 10 seconds, or less.

When you think about it, it seems like Sonic was built to do this. It even fits his speedy persona. (I think that's the word, correct me if I'm wrong.)

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
You could also skip the middleman and just footstool once, allow them to fall, then spring spike them.

Watch some of InterimOfZeal's vids... there is one against Ike where he does a superb job of using the spring as a projectile to gimp his recoveries.

SonicOfDarkness

Smash Apprentice
suffern new york yo no items no ****y stages i
to the people who are playing sonic in brawl no one can stop us !!!! with the carzy and good idea's you guys come up with sonic will be an off the chain fighter keep up the good work and yes plz like kuja said when we get the US game in 2 days plz sonic fighters out there make sure to put the tant YOUR TO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL alright so.. see you guys online word !

Sonic is going to be an edgeguarding beast, from the looks of things.

This is another good strategy. As if his spring spike alone wasn't good enough, we now have Brawl's shinespike.

With Sonic ;D

blackavengre

Smash Rookie
I think its a great idea. Sonic having a fully-flexible recovery, plus FSJs could open up multiple spike opportunities, i can even see someone pulling off 2 spikes on 1 opponent using the FSJ followed by a Dair - sounds like we're in for some serious mid-air contact this time around.

Top Bottom