• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Predictability Problem...

Kynesis

Smash Rookie
Ok, I play Sonic a lot whenever im fighting against my friends and Sonic's >b and vb are essentially the same thing. What I'm wondering is how do you hit/surprise your opponents without them predicting your moves hence your limited moveset? I remember reading some where that you want to you use the spin dash often, but on 1-on-1 matches its always dodged. Maybe its just me and using the spin dash too often, but any helpful input is appreciated.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
If your Sonic is predictable, you're not using him right. Trying to hit with the spindash for any reason other than starting up combos just won't work.

Try different moves, most notably nair and fair.

You can also fake Spin dash by pressing down+b just once.

Also... just use other moves. Spamming spindashes won't cut it. Period.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I remember Zeal mentioned running towards someone and side-b charging at the last moment. So essentially the pull back from the run will create extra space and make your opponent whiff his attack thereby allowing you to pop into him and possibly combo.

Another thing that I saw Orochi use was using the homing attack out of the side/down b. Although it doesn't really make the side/down b more effective, it does make the homing attack more effective.

You can also try sling shotting out of a side-b to surprise your opponent with an aerial.

I think for the most part your problem with Sonic's b moves stems from your use of them as linear attacks. I've had games where I never actually hit someone with the move but it proved highly useful in leading into other attacks.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
if u have mastered the spinshot (thx u twinklepoo for the awesome name) in both usage of sideb and downb, a good way of approaching u're opponent is to feign off spindash (sideb), for those who dont know about spindash shield cancel. u dash, hit b which'll start even if u arent hitting analog stick as long as its a dash, b will recognize the input as a sideb. Right after u start dashing immediatly shield n roll back. so the animation will be u running towards your opponent, initiating a spindash, shield, n roll back. 2 times should be the most u should do this to get u enough range to sideb spinshot and dair, while their up in air follow up with fair and happy chasing. Alot of wording but it all happens very quickly, so it is practical for mindgames.

Another way of putting sideb into good use instead of ramming head on is to use the nice initial short hop sideb has and range it into your opponent and as u land u will hit your target, hit "a" to pinball off the ground into air. At this time u should be behind u're target allowing u to bair. percent range for this to work properly is 50-80% of wut ive prac'd. All in one motion, sideb>a to launch in air after first hit that will launch target in air, then bair.

I wouldnt rely on homing much at all really, its easily op'd and will leave u open if u miss it. It does have its uses but not to be spammed. hope this helped. i need some sleep.

Ashadelo

Smash Rookie
if u have mastered the spinshot (thx u twinklepoo for the awesome name) in both usage of sideb and downb, a good way of approaching u're opponent is to feign off spindash (sideb), for those who dont know about spindash shield cancel. u dash, hit b which'll start even if u arent hitting analog stick as long as its a dash, b will recognize the input as a sideb. Right after u start dashing immediatly shield n roll back. so the animation will be u running towards your opponent, initiating a spindash, shield, n roll back. 2 times should be the most u should do this to get u enough range to sideb spinshot and dair, while their up in air follow up with fair and happy chasing. Alot of wording but it all happens very quickly, so it is practical for mindgames.

Another way of putting sideb into good use instead of ramming head on is to use the nice initial short hop sideb has and range it into your opponent and as u land u will hit your target, hit "a" to pinball off the ground into air. At this time u should be behind u're target allowing u to bair. percent range for this to work properly is 50-80% of wut ive prac'd. All in one motion, sideb>a to launch in air after first hit that will launch target in air, then bair.

I wouldnt rely on homing much at all really, its easily op'd and will leave u open if u miss it. It does have its uses but not to be spammed. hope this helped. i need some sleep.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Hitage

Smash Cadet
Whenever my friends begin to predict the spin dash attacks I tend to run at them and up throw or run and up smash.

Station

Smash Cadet
Ok, I play Sonic a lot whenever im fighting against my friends and Sonic's >b and vb are essentially the same thing. What I'm wondering is how do you hit/surprise your opponents without them predicting your moves hence your limited moveset? I remember reading some where that you want to you use the spin dash often, but on 1-on-1 matches its always dodged. Maybe its just me and using the spin dash too often, but any helpful input is appreciated.
You could always trick your opponent, Sonic's down b can be canceled, you can jump whilst charging it up, trying and draw in your opponent making him think your vunerable then cancel the attack and use the attack of your choice.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
yes down b can be cancelled easily. just like side b in the same way, u can charge up then jump vertically up and thats that u can also air dodge outta spindash and spin charge which is nice if u can short hop an airdodge and get into grab range before frames are gone and u start takin damage again. however sideb shield cancel is VERY fast and does not require u to jump at all. If u happen to use it in close proximity of an enemy fsmash and u do this to make em punt off a fsmash u're way u can sometimes ps the shot or shield n counterattack the instant they realize u just screwed with their mind.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
for the record.... i dont think it matters if u know somthings coming.... if u cant hit the brakes fast enuff to stop it...

and what i mean is: once u got an opponent knocked off their feet, u can keep them on the floor or in the air a lot of the time.

Top Bottom