• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic vs DDD

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
there really needs to be a matchup thread. sonic vs ddd is okay. wall dees stop a lot of dashes. dont get hit and watch out for his up b. and dont mess up the CG. ^^

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
i play against a VERY good sonic player on a regular basis...this is a hard matchup...even harder when you are playing against skilled a skilled sonic player...

patience wins this match...play smart...

alot of sonic players look / wait for delay

hit and move is how they usually play

stay away from him...wait for him to get aggressive...then punish

hard match for ddd

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
When sonic's on the ground, use lag minimalizing moves. Tilts, SHB'airs and F'airs. When he's airbourne, D3 has priority moves. Punish that little blue rat.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The main issue though is that DDD appears to have issues spacing Sonic.
He really cannot use waddledees effectively since the spindash and spincharge only clank so they won't do anything to Sonic's approach.
Spindash also goes through during that little hop so that appears to be an issue as well.

Bair is good though as is the Uair but punishing sonic is somewhat for a DDD.
As a sonic user most of the damage I suffer comes from the CG/tilts. I also find using a DAC helps if the DDD is more prone to use Bair as an approach (due to the disjointed hitboxes the Usmash has).

I am unsure of whose advantage it is for though mainly since I do not know many DDD mainers and online is a poor method of verifying a match up.
At worst i think its neutral. I am leaning slightly towards sonic's advantage though, mainly since I just don't see DDD overwhelming sonic like Pikachu,Luigi and MK are capable of doing.

Its The Jinks

Smash Cadet
When sonic's on the ground, use lag minimalizing moves. Tilts, SHB'airs and F'airs. When he's airbourne, D3 has priority moves. Punish that little blue rat.
lol little blue rat...:laugh: but yea he got speed on you no question but d3 is a quick killer, you can out priorty him in the air with bairs and fairs. So just be cautious and punish after he misses and cg all day:chuckle:

saberhof

Smash Master
just suck em up when hes gonna attack, he has no priority...so your B will just bring him in...thats what i mostly do if he just runs around and spams all that speedness!

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Swallowing sonic when he charges with a spin attack actually makes Dedede take damage from the spin attack 90% of the time, so there's no real advantage, but I agree it is a good method of stopping him in his tracks.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I play both D3 and Sonic and its one of my favorite matchups because it can go either way. As sonic, I bait the tilts, especially F tilt, then counterattack with spin combos, I grab often and the main goal was to keep him grounded.

In order to stop sonic with D3, you have to use moves that make his spins, as useless as possible. In a normal situation, tilts and Waddles work well. but the problem is that when Sonic begins to mix it up with the aerial versions and thier cancels, stopping his approach becomes very very hard to anticipate. For example, He can quickly short hop over f and D tilits, Do an Aerial Spin Charge, then decide whether to spin normally into you, spin into you then jump with/wo aerial, or shield cancel the spin and grab you.

Also, Sonic's grab game is about as good as D3, becuase of the cancels he has for both spin charge and dash. plus he can tech chase well, better than D3. Im actually afraid of a good sonic player on knockdown, because regardless of how you respond, his speed lets him get you anyway. and to make matters worse, his spins can cancel into grabs almost instantaniously.

Sonic can escape the chain grab by DI ing back, then using the Spring Jump before you can grab him again.

If sonic plays outside of f tilt range, baits a tilt, and does several spin dash combos, that's at least 30% everytime folks.

In the air, Sonic can live there is he avoids the bair for the most part. then if he can suprise D3 with fairs and the speed they come out. both can gimp each other pretty good too.

but sonic has to be smart with the spins, or he can get grabed out of it. I would give it the slight edge to Sonic though. But D3 is easier to learn so it may be awhile before we see sonic's true potential, whereas we already know D3 can be gay.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Against Sonic or other fast characters I tend to almost subconsciously spam tilts and bair just because they are quicker and less predictable, therefore more unavoidable.

Timbers

check me out
Sonic's a harder matchup than people give him credit for. He can avoid getting grabbed quite easily. His movement allows himself to get around your laggy game. It's hard to actually get a killmove off on him, as your bair will most likely be stale given the fact that it's really the only thing DDD's got that can go up against Sonic's speed. Commonly used killmove for me is buffering an fair where the peak of their uB recovery will end, or Gordo. It works pretty well so far.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I actually just played against a Sonic a few minutes ago. He really was very tough. There was just about nothing I could do to stop him. I started using waddles in order to stop his sideB, but that would only do so much. I ended up trying to spot dodge his sideB and then dtilt or dsmash, and that didn't work too badly, but it wasn't nearly enough to really kill him.

Timbers

check me out
Sonics I play usually go straight from sideB to nair, so spotdodging is pretty useless as I'll get caught in one or the other. There's probably a way to punish it, but for now I'm stuck having to just shield the sideB and whatever followup the Sonic chooses, and then go on the offensive. It's not a stupid hard matchup like Olimar or TL, but given how much DDD focuses on punishing, Sonic avoids it quite well.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I've only played 1 really good sonic player and the key to the matchup was patience. Never be the one to act first. If you can bait him into an approach and then punish appropriately. You have to play extremely defensively without using waddles. Waddles generally get dodged and punished. Use your up and down tilts, because those are the quicker and more lethal, and the f-tilt is usually the bait sonic players are looking for to run in and combo you. You just have to read their approach and try your best to counter.

Timbers

check me out
I'm usually hesitant about using dtilt in this match. Sonic will usually approach with a sh aerial if he's not using sideB, and whiffing even the dtilt will set you up for punishment. I end up using a lot of bair and dair in this match. Ftilt is too laggy. Utilt seems to have more opportunities to use in this match than usual though. If they whiff a neutral B or nair, they're usually going to be in an ideal position to get utilt'd. Your smashes are just pretty bad in this match. Sonic can easily move and punish accordingly. I feel like bair is just ideal in this match. It's the only thing that goes up against Sonic's speed. Not to mention it takes full advantage of his mediocre priority.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
So then it is established the utilt, sometimes dtilt, and then your aerials minus fair...

That's not too much. :(

saberhof

Smash Master
and the B, the B does wonders, even IF you take damage, its not that bad...and it will suck in any attack, because we all know.

Sonic = no priority...

Timbers

check me out
How could i forget. Inhale is great. Just don't abuse it, or the sonic will start getting smart and start jumping into your face each time he approaches, making your inhale worthless and you take damage for being predictable. Inhale feels really underused in DDDs metagame, or at least the DDDs I've seen. It is great against characters who lack disjointed hitboxes, not just on Sonic either.

Top Bottom