• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic vs a metaknight/pit

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Blade users and those with extended hitboxes will be sonic's hardest match up period. I haven't played too many matchs against non cpu pits but one thing I have noticed is you have to priortize edgeguarding and punish for projectile spamming.

Still, best advice I can give is play smart and don't do the same thing twice. O and spring gimping/escaping is your friend.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Homing attack while they are using any attack that leaves them open,(pits forward b or metaknight's tornado.) Don't stay in one place for too long, sonic won't win in straight fighing, you gotta out speed them and make yourself unpredictable. Use sonic's up tilt at the ceiling for finishes because pit or metaknight are hard to gimp, but are surprisingly light and can be killed at 80 or 90 with up tilt.

f4lc0_m0nk3y

Smash Apprentice
I would have to say metakight would be an easier fight because of the lack of finishing moves.Try spacing yourself (wont work with pit) and strike when you get a chance.

And for pit uuuummmm.... get owned

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
One thing to note about pit. He is extremely gimpable with the spring once he is below the edge. He can't attack you during his up b and he can not do it again should you hit him out of it. That said:

Gimp
Take advantae of the fact you can dash under his arrows.
Approach him in new ways. A perdictable sonic is a dead sonic.
Combo like mad in the air. Most of his wtfbbq attacks are on the ground.
You can dash through his shield.
Don't be afried to eat his projectiles.
Gimp

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
cobalt speaks truth.

Pits attacks may be disjointed, but most of his attacks are stabs with a narrow range. It's very hard for him to counter approaches coming from weird angles. And Sonic's Down-B is low enough to avoid arrows.

With Metaknight you have to try shield grabbing in the middle of his multi-hits. It's safe since normal grabs now have super armor.

S

sn1per13

What about in the air? I know Sonic slows way down, but Pit and Meta Knight don't.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I was having trouble with Pit until I started practicing against him an now I destroy Pit with Sonic. Juggle him to get the damage up (since he floats real well)and finish him with either fsmash or homing attack him while he is at the edge of the screen or below the stage.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Sheld grabbing has super armor?Didn't know that.Also, the Metaknight and Pits I play, gimping is somewhat impossible.

Fr0g

Smash Rookie
Wow i've been playing sonic all week and these two give me a hard time too. Both are very hard to KO cause they fly and sonics kill moves are limited.

If pit uses that skill where he spins his swords, better get away from it and then hes WIDE open.

Dont rush in at either of these guys. Let them attack, and use your speed to run in and take cheap shots at them right after there attack is over and they are vulnerable. Abuse the hitshock on them and try and combo a little and then keep a distance. Mix up your moves and keep your distance just to pile up damage and be as cheap as possible. If either of these *******s fly above you, start trying to hit them by springing yourself up, and then using up+a to offstage them. If u hit them once with this attack and they go offscreen at top (and dont die), you have a huge op to end them by hitting them twice with the same move. The second time you use it make ONE difference, JUMP before you spring for extra height and hit them before they come back onscreen. This is the only time I'll say use the same move twice with Sonic.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
Yeah, I've taken up Sonic recently and faced a human Pit.
I tried abusing Sonic's speed and attack aggressively, which obviously didn't pay out in the end. My problem was when Pit would get me in the air where Sonic's speed is somewhat limited compared to when he's on the ground. I tried Dairing but then Pit would time it right and Usmash...

Spartan64

Smash Journeyman
my best friend has mained pit and i have observed that to beat him you really need to take a hit and run tactic. sonic is good at doing this. a definite help is his up smash while running.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
One thing to note about pit. He is extremely gimpable with the spring once he is below the edge. He can't attack you during his up b and he can not do it again should you hit him out of it. That said:

Gimp
Take advantae of the fact you can dash under his arrows.
Approach him in new ways. A perdictable sonic is a dead sonic.
Combo like mad in the air. Most of his wtfbbq attacks are on the ground.
You can dash through his shield.
Don't be afried to eat his projectiles.
Gimp
This guy knows what he is saying, and the up-B above Pit as he is flying is a great strategy I am slapping myself for not trying or thinking of yet.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Well, first of all, approach with the spindash, it goes right under pit's annoying arrows. Launch him up to the air and if the pit starts clubbing you with his areals, use down A to get to the ground. Repeat.

And also NOONE expects the spring to hit them, maybe mix it up with a little up B to a down A.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The only safe attack you have against Pit is your uair. His nubbly little sword can't chop through your kick and he gets out-ranged.

The problem is, grabbing Pit can be tricky if he likes to spam side-b and neutral b (chances are he will).

For everything else, there's some risk of you getting punished if you don't play a very smart game. So just use a lot of edge play and gimp him to death. That at least should be the easy part because of how slow and predictable his recovery is.

ScytheReaper

Smash Rookie
I cant even beat a lvl 9 cpu pit with sonic. what do you guys mean by gimping btw?

BTW we need mre pit tips for sure

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I play mostly Pits as the 2 friends I most play both main Pit.

I feel sort of good I already do all of the strategies said in this thread, but at the same time I would have liked to learn something new in order to beat them easier.

First thing is first, the rule number one in every match is not to be predictable.

Down-B will go below his arrows, and will clash with his Side-B (I found this useful, because one of the 2 Pits just loves to spam Side-B when I approach). I think Pit might have less lag from this clash though, but since he is not expecting it, you can get the most out of it.

If your Pit opponent likes to Side-B a lot, I would suggest to try to trick him into using it then Short-Hopping a Homing Dash (which will actually go in an arc avoiding his Side-B, but still hitting him), or try and Jump behind him for a Foward Smash (I have been able to do this a few times).

When on the air, try to either, land as soon as possible, through D-Aerial, or if he is above try to do U-Air, its safe, but I find it hard to land on Gliding Pits.

When Pit is below the stage, what I personally do is. If he is recovering in a way that allows me so, I will jump out and Homing Dash him (you need to know if you are going to be able to hit him or not, don't just go out there randomly) if not, I will just put a spring board in his way and then come back down as fast as I can, and try and put another one on his way.

As soon as you force the Pit to do Up+B he is done for, just hit him with a Spring and he is gone.

When a Pit arrow spams me, I just charge Down-B, until he starts directing the arrow, as soon as you see he is going to hit you (normally takes them 2-3 hits in order to curve it correctly) then you can release it, and hit him, trick him into using a laggy move. I normally either, hit him with the Down-B into a Nair if i see he has lag remaining from the last arrow, or if I see he is going to do a laggy move (IE: Foward Smash) I JC my dash into a Homing Dash.

The way I play a Pit is basically a safe game, with hit and run tactics based on tricking him into laggy moves so I can get the hit.

When he approaches you, try to score a little damage or trick him with some dash attacks and maybe F-Tilts, then just Shield Grab him. I normally prefer doing the B-Throw against a Pit, as it will normally put him outside the stage and at a height at which it isn't even close to deadly, but at least it isn't way up in the sky.

Another thing I like to do is when he tries to edgeguard, I like to Spindash into lots of different things, I vary it everytime. I sometimes just Spindash, or Spindash to jump, or Spindash to jump to Up+B, or Spindash, to fall under the stage, to wall jump (Final Destination) (Or if you can time it right, you can also Spin JUMP back to the stage, leaving the Pit wondering WTF just happened). Why Spindash? Well I guess it will SEEM like a predictable recovery to the Pit tricking him into coming out, while in reality its not that predictable.

These are just tips from a Sonic player who has to fight Pits all the time. I would also appreciate all the help I can get, as my strategies barely pass by (meaning I normally win by very little).

PS: Also if you are D-Air(ing) in order to fall faster, and the Pit somehow manages to reach floor before you (lets say he was on the floor and you were scared he was gonna jump and U-Air you or something), try to Up-B as soon as you hit the floor into another D-Air faced on Pits direction, they normally don't see this coming and you can land and score a hit, and since you have no lag after this D-Air (as it was done at the exact height it loses lag), you can combo it into something else. (Maybe try to tech-chase to grab to another set up)

I appreciate all the feedback and critizism done to my post, as it will help me become a better Sonic player and beat my friends more often :).

disguy

Smash Cadet
My friend mains pit and I have trouble facing him sometimes. I'll take your strategies into account and see if they help me out. He loves spamming that side b and arrows -_-

Another match up I've had trouble with is Lucario. I can rack up damage against him, but then he gets stronger because of the higher damage % and with a few hits kills me before I get a chance to use one of sonic's few KO moves.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Since this thread is metaknight also. I'd like to share some of my recent discoveries and adventures vs MK as sonic.

When i first played, it was complete nonsense.. i quickly learned that most of MK's attacks if timed properly will peirce right threw things that sonic do.

Now I am definately no pro at fighting MK with sonic, but i have a few tips to offer.

Tip#1: one of the most annoying attacks that you will have to deal with is the tornado (MK's neutral B)
Do not go near him if you know he is about to use this, if he just straight uses it you only have 2 options.

there are only 2 ways to counter this move, and its simple... homing attack, and attacking from ABOVE MK

if you hit MK from above then it knocks him out of the tornado. anywhere else and you can just expect to take some damage. You can also just avoid it, and wait for him to fall out and he will be vulnerable to attacks.

Tip#2: offensively speaking your best bet vs metanight would be: homing attack, Spin dash, and forward A. no matter which of these you use, you have to do them fast enuff to where the MK can''t react. All of these are counter able in different ways. If you use SD the only thing that MK can outright beat it with is the tornady, so if he does that ur gona wanna jump above it while in SD and then Dair into him, but make sure u clearly hit from above him.. u could also homing attack and that would work.

usually the best way to damage is combo from SD, its easier to hit him with SD if your close to him. because it gives him less reaction time.

Tip#3: gimp the **** out of him. if you see him off the edge, and low.. just drop those springs man.
its a good way to get a kill without having a lot of damage on him..

Tip#4: somtimes just knowing how to jump out of the way, or dodge his attacks is best, usually after metaknights attacks, he opens himself up pretty wide for a combo or atleast a quick hit and run.

Tip#5: Uair and spring is a good way to kill MK because its another thing you can do at low damage, and it is very hard for him to counter(his best counter to uair is MK's down B, so watch out for that, as he could turn the tables and kill you instead of vise versa)

Tip#6: chase him always, MK is more vulnerable in the air, but as always know how to predict him, because he can nail you with his UP B if your not careful. Homing attack works well for chases, and definately if he is hangin on the ledge.

Tip#7 aside from gimping/chasing the easiest move to kill MK with is the sonic glove(Fsmash).. Running dash attack into him when an opportunity comes, and then turn around into a sonic glove, and he will be fried.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
the drill can be tinged with SD im pretty sure, oh yea... if you ever ting anyone with sonic, imidiately start jabbing and usually u will get em.

*Edit:* that probly isnt the correct term for that haha.

Top Bottom