• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Multiplayer Strategies?

dmnky88

Smash Rookie
Ok, so ive been playing brawl for about a week straight now. I was never a very good melee player (i had no idea what wavedashing or l-canceling was until yesterday). Ive gotten pretty good with Sonic in one on one battles (thanks to lots of posts that were already here) but i still cant seem to master sonic in free-for-alls with 4 people. It feels like all i do is get slapped around from person to person, never getting a hit in. Can somebody help?

Metroid475

Smash Cadet
you mainly want to take advantage of everyones confusion. Use your specials alot to combo and then either edgehog, edgegaurd, or just finish them off with a Bair.

dmnky88

Smash Rookie
thanks for the tip. ive heard theres a way to reduce the time of your homing attack (by pressing b a second time) but it only seems to work occasionally for me, are you supposed to hold b down the second time or something?

Psymantis

Smash Rookie
I honestly find the best tactic to be more of a hit and run. Run or Spin in and hit them with a couple of attacks generally, if it's a spin attack I'll use the spin to hit them initially, then immediately jump for an air combo. Fast fall down, run under them and UpB to finish them. (given that they are at a higher percentage)

Browny

Smash Hater
Dont take unnecesary damage, run in and out with spin charge etc and a few d-airs from high up so you dont get ending lag.

The instant someone gets knocked off the edge, steal the kill. no other character in the game can steal kills off the stage as well as sonic. no matter where you are youll always be the first to the edge, pivot jump off with a fast fall, spring back up and follow with an u-air or b-air. chances are if someone got knoced off the stage, they will be at least above 40% and a bair off the stage at that % will kill pretty much anyone.

dmnky88

Smash Rookie
thanks dj, thats actually the most useful tip ive gotten, the other general strategies were great but ive had trouble with the off-stage combos and the fast fall up-b tip really works. im not sure wat you mean by pivot jump tho, i usually just jump (maybe that is pivot jumping?) is pivot jumping something different?

Browny

Smash Hater
i guess its not really a pivot jump at all now i think about it. i think in the lucky tute vid on these forums he does an instant-edgehog thing where he dashes to the edge and almost instantly hangs off it without ever having to jump off the stage while facing backwards which is what most characters have to do when they try to edgehog. doing that is more faster than dashing, turning around and then jumping off.

as for a pivot jump, i think i read about if on the dojo... or maybe that was just a pivot throw :/

Top Bottom