• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic footage and move analysis (18 sources so far)

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Okay, post your findings.

Color coded just 'cause:
  • Tilts and Running Attack
  • Smashes
  • Throws
  • Aerials
  • Homing Attack
  • Spindash-related moves
  • Spring
  • Other stuff

(Smash Run)
  • 5:59 - Dtilt doesn't move Sonic forward at all, apparently;
  • 6:04 - flopped Fair landing;
  • 6:20 - fake out running doesn't move Sonic forward at all as well;
  • 6:31 - another flopped Fair landing;
  • 6:41 - Homing Attack cancel.
  • (This was Smash Run so... take this with a grain of salt.)
  • 0:54 - Jared says a little about Sonic's FS.
  • 0:44 - Spin Charge actually hits Marth twice. Hopefully this is a new feature with proper programming, otherwise decay's gonna kill our % racking even MORE. The SDR seemed way too slow after the hits as well;
  • 0:56 - Ftilt hitting only once now and dealing 11%;
  • 1:00 - SDR going slower after the hit = easier SDJ hitting afterwards. Can you say SC to SDR to SDJ to Bair? F-ing awesome;
  • 1:18 - FSmash hitting 15% uncharged. I really don't remember Brawl's % so...;
  • 1:22 - Grab+pummel+Bthrow. Pummels hit 2%, 3%. Bthrow for 7%;
  • 1:29 - Grab+pummel+Uthrow. Pummels hit 2%, 1%. Uthrow for 7% (1+6);
  • 1:34 - SC to SDR again. Utilt: 8% (2+6);
  • 1:49 - Final Smash;
  • 2:07 - New DSmash;
  • 2:10 - I love the new Spring animation;
  • 2:13 - Aerial SD's trajectory seems weird now but FAST. Almost mistook it for a HA trajectory, really;
  • 2:23 - Ftilt: now it looks like it's two hits: 4+7. USmash for 15% (7+2+1+5);
  • 2:28 - Aerial SD. Hits both Pikachus for 4% each;
  • 2:30 - Can't really tell, but either this is a SC->SDR->SDJ->Nair combo or simply a SC->Nair, in which case the Nair is hitting 13%;
  • 2:33 - The new Uair. Side hits for 3%;
  • 2:48 - New SC charging sound.
June, 11th Nintendo Treehouse livestream:

• Running attack is now MULTIHIT;
  • Looked like you can cancel the HA.. like, really cancel it. It was close to two other characters but it didn't follow any of them, just hitting the ground as if there was no target nearby at all.
  • 7:51 - HA hitting the ground. Way cooler. Way faster;
  • 7:53 - Running grab. Seems the same (hopefully the range is improved);
  • 8:06 - Ground HA. It's that fast. Also, it seems you only get that long recovery if you don't hit anything at all (opponents, shields or the ground and possibly walls. If you do hit something, you won't have to wait was long to recover);
  • 8:46 - Dash fake out doesn't move you as much now;
  • 9:02 - HA was used 10 "squares" from Little Mac and it did not lock on him at all. Compared to the HA at 8:06, I think the distance was almost the same. MAYBE he was just borderline past the HA's range limit but PERHAPS you can actually cancel the HA targetting altogether..;
  • 29:51 - Running to shield;
  • 30:07 - HA trajectory;
  • 30:14 - Hyphen Smash (though not from a full run, it seems);
  • 30:27 - Same;
  • 31:13 - Dair... still not the sweetspot!

• 0:53 - New running attack. Lol Dtilt doesn't hit Villager (iframes during his Neutral B?);
  • 1:25 - Fair seems faster;
  • 1:28 - New DSmash;
  • 1:32 - Weird.. Looks like an aerial SD but moves and looks like a brand new attack;
  • 1:55 - Some USmash priority;
  • 2:02 - They've fixed HA's trajectory, it seems (well, at least it works correctly against Pit now). Now hits for a solid 12% (I think it was less than 10% in Brawl). I don't like how there's a huge graphic showing when you actually release the HA though..
  • 2:59 - New Sonic palettes;
  • 3:49 - FASTER HA;
  • 3:51 - Flopped Bair landing. Looks really bad now;
  • 4:07 - the new glorious ground SD;
  • 4:09 - Flopped Uair landing. Looks like the same but hard to actually see it;
  • 4:18 - Dair actually sends Kirby flying upwards..;
  • 5:12 - Just to show you how the new priority is good: I actually lost track of Sonic because I'd thought he would be knocked alongside the other characters instead of actually hitting someone with Dair.
June, 12th Nintendo Treehouse livestream:
  • HA hitting the ground seemed to cause damage to nearby opponents;
  • SDR near the edge seemed to stay in place for a few moments;
  • Using the Spring will make you auto-cling if you're near an edge;
  • SD goes downward WAY TOO FAST for you to use it as a recovery option;
  • Sonic used HA outside the stage and fell to his doom;
  • Sonic's horizontal recovery looks pretty bad now.
  • 1:19 - Non-cancelled Dair landing lag;
  • 1:40 - Dair sending Mario diagonally up;
  • Many times during the match: HA hitting the ground has a new, cooler and faster animation :D
  • 0:07 - SD shield cancelling;
  • 0:10 - ASC to SDR to a hit and then a full stop. Maybe charges are actually more important now in order to keep the SD going? Utilt hitting for 8% (4+4);
  • 0:14 - ASC hitting a measly 2% :( Footstool after SDJ;
  • 0:16 - Spring hitting 4%. Practically zero landing lag from a cancelled Dair;
  • 0:30 - SDR/SDJ really seems to slow down a lot after a hit;
  • 0:32 - Simple dash to a stop to a screech stop (?);
  • 0:36 - Sub 100% ledge getup animation looks the same;
  • 1:11 - SC to Bair.
  • 0:00 - New tech, it seems: apparently you can do a VSDJ while still charging the SD;
  • 0:07 - SDVSDJ to VSDJ;
  • 0:10 - VSDJ to shield;
  • 0:57 - Apparently, you can still use SD to improve your horizontal momentum, but you'll surely have to jump cancel out of it way earlier now;
  • 1:12 - HA for recovery doesn't seem as viable as before. After using it you start falling like a F-ING ROCK. Also, auto edge clinging after Spring.
  • 0:55 - New DSmash used a few times;
  • 1:13 - Fair lasting less time means you can use it at low heights and avoid the landing lag;
  • 1:17 - Using SD for recovering will send you to the bottom of the screen and FAST;
  • 2:17 - Fthrow for 7%.
(separate links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ofy7RJNvYo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDF-wxxIDbQ)

• 9:04 - HA still goes at a very low height after it hits a shield;
  • 9:16 - SD to a full stop after hitting a shield;
  • 9:22 - SDJ landing to a pivot;
  • 9:30 - Aerial SD to SD (self destruct lols);
  • 9:41 - Jump cancel out of a SDR/SDJ. Looks like you can cancel almost all horizontal momentum now;
  • 10:44 - whiffed HA's recovery is as bad as ever;
  • 45:25 - Uair's landing lag;
  • 46:15 - Delayed running attack;
  • 46:32 - SDR to SDJ to Fair combo.
  • 21:55 - SDJ's hitbox seem to last longer now;
  • 22:26 - Looks like running off a ledge will make you spin instead of simply falling;
  • 23:19 - SDJ setting Kirby up for a perfect followup. Nair landing lag;
  • 23:25 - USmash hits Mario through his shield;
  • 23:30 - Running attack's last hit sends Kirby flying at 68% (last hit is 3%);
  • 23:37 - New DSmash's trajectory. Looks totally viable;
  • 23:39 - Hyphen Smashing;
  • 23:41 - New tech: you can now do a low SDJ apparently!

• 16:43 - Looks like a pivot SDVJ (from facing right to left) to SD;
  • 16:53 - New FSmash shouting sounds pretty good;
  • 16:55 - Dammit low priority during SDR;
  • 16:59 - Doesn't look like SD charging hits opponents at all;
  • 17:26 - Dtilt not moving Sonic forward;
  • 18:12 - SDR turnaround. Can't see it that well though;
  • 18:33 - I've seen quite some SDing with SDR off ledges. Hopefully it's just because these people suck at using Sonic;
  • 18:39 - Looks like opponents can actually get launched alongside with Sonic when he uses the Spring in midair;
  • 18:49 - Derp.

• 0:14 - Uthrow to Uair. Seems legit;
  • 0:18 - SDR turnaround looks faster now;
  • 0:26 - SC release seems a lot faster. Also, the hitbox after the SDR turnaround seems to reappear faster as well;
  • 0:36 - HA for recovery seems less and less viable;
  • 0:39 - Two Dtilts and Sonic doesn't move forward at all;
  • 1:10 - Screech stop after SDR looks the same;
  • 1:39 - HA actually targeted someone who was FARTHER than Mario. Maybe now you do have more control over it after all?;
  • 2:09 - IS THAT IFRAMES DURING SPRING STARTUP I SEE?;
  • 2:41 - SDR to HA. I am so proud.
  • 0:38 - Jump cancelled Bair from SDJ actually reaches top platform in Battlefield. I don't think it could do that in Brawl;
  • 0:49 - Backwards jump cancel after SDJ still makes you jump straight up, it seems. You'll grab the ledge even if you Spring up while facing away from the stage!;
  • 0:58 - Dat HA trajectory actually hitting people now.. ALSO, no laggy recovery from that height!;
  • 1:20 - Sub 100% ledge getup attack. Seems even faster now!;
  • 1:22 - SD iframes?;
  • 1:28 - Can't tell if HA was targetting Marth or Rosalina... If it was Marth, the trajectory is kinda improved, but if it was Rosalina... the trajectory is HUGELY improved (it was probably Marth, though);
  • 1:46 - Utilt improved hitbox;
  • 2:09 - Here we can see how long the SD lasts during the air. Looks like you can actually cancel the SDJ and fall normally much quicker than before (either that or it simply autocancels itself);
  • 2:18 - HA trajectory. Awesome;
  • 2:28 - Sub 100% getup attack: looks the same but with more range, maybe?
(FREAKING TERRIBLE video and yet there are TWO matches with Sonic. I even downloaded this in order to rotate the video but the cameraman shakes so much is makes me nauseous.. Uuuughhhhhhhhh)
  • 4:27 - USmash actually killing Greninja at 91% -> 106% (I think);
  • 7:36 - More USmash kills;
  • I did NOT bother trying to watch this more than once. If anyone's able to stabilize the video, I might give it another go. Seriously, this is headache inducing.
  • 1:00 - The Spring works like Mega Man's Rush Coil: you'll actually go farther if you use an already placed Spring;
  • 1:22 - Hitting both Uair hits seems a lot easier now;
  • 1:27 - ASC;
  • 2:06 - The new ASD trajectory;
  • 2:41 - A look at how fast you can VSDJ from SC (I think. If it was SD it would probably have that weird new aura around Sonic).

(to be continued...)

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
  • 2:07 - WHOA. IS THAT A NEW MOVE THAT CAN BE DONE AFTER A NON-CANCELLED DAIR? WTF
That looks to be his new down smash

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
  • 2:07 - WHOA. IS THAT A NEW MOVE THAT CAN BE DONE AFTER A NON-CANCELLED DAIR? WTF
That looks to be his new down smash
That does make more sense but I've yet to see it being used at all during a match. Lack of Sonic during the tournament didn't help either..

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Ooh, those little buffs here and there. Looks like Sonic is getting improved from Brawl after all!

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
That down smash. I don't know how to feel about it until I try it out.
The range looks reduced from the old one. Hopefully it has better knockback or a better trajectory. Would be interested in a side by side speed comparison as well.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If it can kill, that'd be better already. As far as animation goes I think it looks a lot cooler and at least it still hits on both sides like the old one. If we got ourselves a KO option that'd be tight. Also hoping it's just a faster move in general from the old one.

:093:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
At the very least, it hits both sides at the same time now. That's an improvement imo. In a perfect world, it would send them at a low angle off stage. Nothing seems to do that at all in this game so far though, so I'm not holding out hope on it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks for the thorough analysis, Orochi!

Sonic's looking great. Impossible to know how things will change before the launch, and how things will play out after experience with the game.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new down-b / side-b mechanics, they seem substantial. Sonic also seems to have very low aerial mobility.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In the Treehouse stream, Sonic was featured when Smash Wii U was up. Prog was commentating the match, and specifically mentioned that Sonic had received a lot of improvements. He has more KO power, and his F-tilt in particular has longer range and more knockback.

I've been noticing a lot of buffs myself. I think in this game, he'll be like the fast version of Rosalina - difficult to get used to, but terrifying when in the right hands.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
If it works like Falco's down smash then I am all for it. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but in one of the videos I was watching someone did Dair into Down Smash with little to no lag. I'm assuming it was from the height he did the Dair. Still was pretty cool.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Sonic also seems to have very low aerial mobility.
Yep, and I believe that we won't be able to rely on SD for recovering, thanks to its trajectory change. Hopefully HA will still be viable as a recovery option, and possibly even better, since it has a faster recovery time now.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
All from what I'm seeing, it seems like he's gotten more attack power, even more combo ability, but with some noticeable recovery nerfs. Which is fine, being able to actually kill now is much more useful than being able to live to the 150's. One thing I want to know though, since we have no footage of spin shot, I was wondering if like a few other things in this game that it would now retain it's momentum.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Espy Rose played at one of the Best Buy locations and reported that you could still Spin Shot from the SideB

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I realize that you can still spin shot. What I was asking was if you retained the momentum of the spin shot this time, rather than coming to a slight stop after the jump animation.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
I realize that you can still spin shot. What I was asking was if you retained the momentum of the spin shot this time, rather than coming to a slight stop after the jump animation.
Oh, ok. I have no idea then.

Not happy about how fast you fall after a missed HA in the air btw. I'm not going to dare to try using it as killing move off stage unless i'm very high up and the accuracy really has improved. Very unfortunate.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
A friend went to a Best Buy, he told me that as far as his down smash, it acts pretty much like Jigglypuffs.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I found this video pretty enlightening with regards to his spindashes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnmzGlYvFJI

Sonic's aerial mobility looks especially terrible in smash4. To compensate, his spindashes (especially side-B) seem to have increased versatility. Sonic looks like he's super fast on the ground, fast to move up+down (spring, down-air, and now spindashes to get down to the ground super quickly), and super slow horizontally in the air. So that's kinda like a Fox fast-ground, vertically fast-up+down gameplay but jacked up 200%. The side-B seems to give a lot more options.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lmao sorry but that wavedash conversation though. Assholes.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I kinda like how Super Sonic now screams "Super Sonic Style!" from Generations, but kinda feel that there could've been better lines for that. It fits the more "hype" feel that Smash 4 has in comparison to previous games, though, so I don't really object to it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Speaking of dthrow... With the way throws seem to be in general now and the whole cluster**** of DI and SDI in this build of the game, I'm going to assume that currently we can't tech Sonic's dthrow? That'd be a plus.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I expect DI/SDI was just turned off for the demo build, something they're still tweaking and was too risky to enable in its current form (if they've even added it to the game yet at all). I expect it to be in when they're done. *shrug*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
DI is a part of what makes it the game that it is, and I can't imagine them just throwing that away. Brawl just handled SDI in particular pretty poorly, so I wouldn't be surprised if they modify it to make moves less escapable. Which I'd honestly be down with.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
From what I've seen people say, I thought DI was in. It just seemed as though SDI wasn't working. I'd still expect to see SDI come release, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. No DI in general just seems odd though. That's kinda the selling point of Smash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I feel like there were times that DI occurred, but I remembered reading people saying that they felt it wasn't. Who knows.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I feel like there were times that DI occurred, but I remembered reading people saying that they felt it wasn't. Who knows.

DI is definitely in because I was definitely DI-ing regularly. It's just harder to do. Smash DI isnt in right now though. Honestly I totally wouldn't mind if they keep the DI how it is right now in the demo, i like it this way.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
People also claimed momentum canceling to be in? Does anyone know if Sonic's current MC methods worked in the demo?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I won't trust anyone's opinion on that, and I wouldn't expect the result to be "stable" before game release anyway.

Momentum / hitstun-cancelling means a few different things, some of which are difficult to test correctly at full-speed, without extensive familiarity with the game's hitstun/knockback timings, and while taking into account "stale move" effects.

I have not seen any evidence for it, though some people have said they pulled it off. Who knows.

Top Bottom