• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Finisher Strategies and Suggestions

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
We all know that Sonic has no kill moves but that doesn't stop the Sonic fans from going the extra mile to master him enough to learn how to dominate the off stage pursuits. I made this thread to act as a kind of archive for people's suggestions and strategies for Sonic finishing combos. Many are hard to pull off but with enough practice you can be killing scrubs with your spring in no time! Note that it is possible to simply kill with Sonic's fsmash, dsmash or bair if you are a good enough player to run circles around your opponent and as long as you don't spam one of those three attacks. If you can manage fair or bairing off the ledge to strike an enemy, if done correctly is almost a guaranteed kill. Also for characters who recover from under the stage try to hit them on the head with your spring in the opposite direction of the stage so they get stuck under it. Point blank homing jumps off the stage will usually seal the deal and if your opponent is a noob its not too hard to KO him by juggling him to the ceiling of the stage.

If anyone else has some simple or advanced techs for killing with Sonic please share.

(I wish Sonic had a meteor smash :( )

Spin Dashie

Smash Cadet
Sonic does have his down smash and forward smash that may act as his kill moves....

Here's some advice that can hopefully help you.

When approaching most characters, use the side-b. Personally, I like to open with a down-b then it comes down to whether I wanna fake them with a jump cancel into a homing attack or just follow through with my down-b then home attack. Another great approach is your fair. Mainly against characters taller and/or bigger than Sonic, it works very well, especially if you fast fall and follow up with 1 or 2 more fairs. Btw, make sure your fairs are shorthopped. Against more experienced players, you'll may want to lay off the side-b and use some fakes. Since wavedashing has been cut, you're able to dash cancel with or without the shield (without the shield makes it less obvious IMO). And dash dancing to me has lost its effectiveness.

Remember to always stick to your guy, and keep harassing him. Obviously you'll use your better judgment when and when not to stick to your opponent, but its key to keep your spacing and know when to not let him/her breathe. Your spring jump can be used as an offensive technique. Jump above the opponent, spring jump and use down-a to fast fall right back down with no lag. Your opponent will probably wait for you to come back down to attack, but you have plenty of options on avoiding. Sidestepping, and punishing his mistimed attack can help. Also, many people say Sonic's neutral-a sucks. I beg to differ. Sonic's neutral-a sucks damage wise, but just like Sonic's down smash, if you want people to get off you fast, its great. Like if you're having an aerial battle and your opponent gets to the ground before you, and all you have are attacks that leave you open thanks to lag, use your neutral-a. Dont worry about it not racking up %s, worry about using it to get people off you and give you space as you land.

When your opponent is down, I recommend using either the side-b, or a running charged up-smash, or maybe even your running dash. With the side-b, follow through, and hit them with your uair. If they're at a really high percentage, follow up from that uair with a spring jump uair or at low percentages, you can follow with a homing attack.

Now for (h)edgehogging, I like using homing attacks. Run off the stage, fast fall enough to be below your opponent, and use it. What you can also do is use the spring from your 3rd jump to gimp someone from coming back to the stage. I like using the spring for characters that can fly, but ill let you decide whats best. If a character has a low percentage, dont bother using the homing attack. Maybe your spring. At low percentages I like to chase them with another side-b into an uair, or if you're lucky enough, fair.

One of the characters ive found to be near helpless to Sonic's (h)edgehogging is Ike. Chase Ike, use your spring board at the same level as the edge of the stage and watch that spring bounce him farther from the edge.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
I have not sat down and analyzed the damage and KO potential of these moves, but they're underused by me and seem pretty nice. The up tilt and the up air. The up air, if I recall correctly, sort of 1-2 clips the person, with the second kick being the smashy part. That and it just looks nice. I think finesse would be a great way to describe how Sonic should be handled.

So, when people talk about Sonic and finishing... I don't really think of a standard Smash off, like on the ground. I think of Sonic, continuing his air assaults, and choosing the smashier moves up there. Not sure if that's what you already implied.

I realize that's less active/voluntary, but with Sonic's speed, he's really that opportunistic. In a FFA, you could turn one man's exaggerated recovery into his own demise.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Sonic does have his down smash and forward smash that may act as his kill moves....

Here's some advice that can hopefully help you.

When approaching most characters, use the side-b. Personally, I like to open with a down-b then it comes down to whether I wanna fake them with a jump cancel into a homing attack or just follow through with my down-b then home attack. Another great approach is your fair. Mainly against characters taller and/or bigger than Sonic, it works very well, especially if you fast fall and follow up with 1 or 2 more fairs. Btw, make sure your fairs are shorthopped. Against more experienced players, you'll may want to lay off the side-b and use some fakes. Since wavedashing has been cut, you're able to dash cancel with or without the shield (without the shield makes it less obvious IMO). And dash dancing to me has lost its effectiveness.

Remember to always stick to your guy, and keep harassing him. Obviously you'll use your better judgment when and when not to stick to your opponent, but its key to keep your spacing and know when to not let him/her breathe. Your spring jump can be used as an offensive technique. Jump above the opponent, spring jump and use down-a to fast fall right back down with no lag. Your opponent will probably wait for you to come back down to attack, but you have plenty of options on avoiding. Sidestepping, and punishing his mistimed attack can help. Also, many people say Sonic's neutral-a sucks. I beg to differ. Sonic's neutral-a sucks damage wise, but just like Sonic's down smash, if you want people to get off you fast, its great. Like if you're having an aerial battle and your opponent gets to the ground before you, and all you have are attacks that leave you open thanks to lag, use your neutral-a. Dont worry about it not racking up %s, worry about using it to get people off you and give you space as you land.

When your opponent is down, I recommend using either the side-b, or a running charged up-smash, or maybe even your running dash. With the side-b, follow through, and hit them with your uair. If they're at a really high percentage, follow up from that uair with a spring jump uair or at low percentages, you can follow with a homing attack.

Now for (h)edgehogging, I like using homing attacks. Run off the stage, fast fall enough to be below your opponent, and use it. What you can also do is use the spring from your 3rd jump to gimp someone from coming back to the stage. I like using the spring for characters that can fly, but ill let you decide whats best. If a character has a low percentage, dont bother using the homing attack. Maybe your spring. At low percentages I like to chase them with another side-b into an uair, or if you're lucky enough, fair.

One of the characters ive found to be near helpless to Sonic's (h)edgehogging is Ike. Chase Ike, use your spring board at the same level as the edge of the stage and watch that spring bounce him farther from the edge.
Yeah I use all of those strategies and they work out great. I remember hearing that people hate fighting Ike with Sonic but I obliterate him everytime.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
For sure, the best way to KO with Sonic is his side-smash.

I try to knock them off the cliff with B standard usually, then camp the edge they are going to recover to and get ready to flick the c stick. You really need to be good to land the side-smash because you need to be VERY close and you takes a bit of time, but I truly think this is his best finisher.

However, in sudden death I don't use this, it is too risky. In that situation I just jump up and use B standard, which is usually a K.O. at that high of a percentage.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is great at sudden death. All you have to do is sprint straight at them to psych them out usually resulting i them performing an fsmash. Just before you come in range for an attack perform a normal jump and dair. It will autokill them unless its on an enormous map.

Top Bottom