• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic and Mario go for gold?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
First of, let me stress the time of year. Almost 1st of April.

With that out off the way, holy cow. Don’t think many people saw this coming.

<a href="http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php">Mario and Sonic at The Olympic Games</a>
<blockquote>UK, March 28, 2007 - Finally the dreams of SEGA and Nintendo fans come true as news hits thats Mario and Sonic are set to star side by side in a new game for Wii and DS, based on the 2008 Olmypics.

<!--more-->SEGA made the historic announcement this morning and confirmed that Mario &amp; Sonic at the Olympics (as it’s known) is due for release this Christmas. The game’s currently in development by SEGA Japan and Shigeru Miyamoto is supervising the project.

Players compete in events around venues based on official locations for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Featuring a supporting cast of recognisable faces from the world of both Sonic and Mario, players can choose from a range of characters including Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, Tails and more.

“Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,” said Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto. “In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

“We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,” said Hisao Oguchi, president and chief operating officer, SEGA. “For the first time, two of the world’s greatest games’ characters come together to compete in the world’s greatest sporting event and we couldn’t be more excited.”

“The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,” said Raymond Goldsmith, chairman and chief executive officer of ISM. “Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.”</blockquote>
So what does this mean for us? Well pretty much nothing if it’s an April Fools day joke (Don’t shatter our fragile hopes you jerks! Oh, I didn’t call you jerks, sorry! Don’t say it’s a joke! *sob*)

Where was I? Oh yeah, well if they’re willing to team up for a sport game, I don’t see why they couldn’t have Sonic in Brawl. It shows that there’s no legal issues, other than Sega saying yes, and it shows that they’re willing to work together.

Why could this be fake, and everyone get excited over nothing? Asside from the fact this announcement has come from nowhere 3 days before the foolingest day on the interweb? The fact that the release period is Holidays 2007, seems to be both too soon for development time, and timing for the Olympics, which aren’t due til around Mid 08.

Anyway, try and not get too excited, and see if any “HA! Gotcha!” press releases are released on the 2nd. The topic on SWF to discuss this is <a href="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=100278">right here.</a>

Yeah, hello EB? I’d like to make a reservation…<!--more-->

T

Toby

Saw this five hours ago…the more I look at it, the more I think it is an April Fools joke. Still, if Sega and Nintendo would not only team up but go to all this effort (posting official press releases and items on their official websites) for a joke…I can’t help but wonder if this is a precursor to announcing Sonic in Brawl? Guess we’ll see on April 2nd.

A

Alan

From what the press release tells me, the game is being licensed by the ISM, the company that licenses Olympic video games. The announcement and press release are posted at their site (www.ismltd.com) I don’t think the International Olympic Committee would make themselves look bad by attaching their name to an April Fool’s joke.

As far as this relates to Brawl…I think Nintendo and SEGA have more or less confirmed Sonic’s inclusion into Brawl with this announcement. But I could be wrong. As much as I have to say it, we’ll just have to keep waiting.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
Of types of games to put both Mario and Sonic in… Why an Olympic game!? It’s confusing to me. This does give Nintendo and SEGA a chance to totally be greater than all those other mediocre Olympic games that have been coming out since a very long time ago.

I’m also confused as to if this is a real game or not. It seems fake. But then there’s the whole thing with the Olympics site and the official Nintendo site having this kind of information on it. *can’t wait until the next four days are over*

S

Super Smash Blog » Blog Archive » SmashCast #3: Ma

[…] Notes/Links: Mini WWYP2 “The Thing” Forum Game INNsomnia V Results Sonic and Mario go for gold? Sonic in Brawl “not on the cards” Overswarm’s Tournament Stages Topic MLG […]

B

Boo

ya true…
sonic would pretty much kick mario’s @ss if it was the olimpics…
cause mario’s fat!!!
can’t wait for more news!

A

Aaron

same thing i said when i read this in my magazine.sonic can whup marios ass in the olympics.sonics fast and athletic. while marios down in italy eating lasagna.(sorry mario i still like you better than sonic.)

S

shadow

yes, fox will be in super smash bros brawl. Go to http://www.smashbros.com for proof.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games?
Mario is such a fat plummer!
Mario isn’t getting close to even bronze!
Sonic is going to kick mario’s fat @ss!
I mean look at Sonic compared to Mario, hes a plummer!

Top Bottom