• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Controversy

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Here is one topic that I've been wanting to talk about for a while.

Ever since the reveal of Simon from Yogscast in Sonic Racing Transformed, fans of the game have been going nuts to the creator on the Sega forums. There are the people complaining that Yogscast sucks and Simon shouldn't be in the game because no one likes him/has heard of him, and there are the people complaining that Simon should be downloadable on consoles as well as PC.

Adding fuel to the fire, fan favourite Ryo Hazuki, whom fans have been begging to appear in the game from the beginning, is only available on Android and iOS, presumably with all the other most wanted DLC characters. The fans have been raging against Sumo Digital non-stop on the Sega forums. Seriously, those guys are some of the angriest forum users I've ever seen. Only a few guys are genuinely reasonable.

I would like to voice my opinion on this rather trivial and overblown subject, since I love Sonic Racing Transformed to bits.

First of all, I have no problem with Yogscast being in the game. If anything, it's really awesome how a Youtuber can make it into an actual game full of famous characters. While it may be a little annoying that console users can't use these characters, but who really cares. Like most people, I think Sumo Digital should probably release some more DLC for console gamers, but if Sega decide not to, then that's cool I guess. What I really can't understand is the fact that players are complaining that he's in the game, even though he is still optional DLC unlike Team Fortress, Willemus and the other PC exclusives. What's the big deal? If you don't want to play as Simon, then don't, simple as.

Yeah, I'm a little gutted that Ryo's only available on Android and iOS. But it's just one character. Get over it. But I can see that there may be concerns that all of the wanted DLC characters may be only playable on phones. I still want Segeta Sanshiro dammit! I personally think that they should have saved all of this DLC for the next game in the series and then Sumo could have avoided all this agro.

What are your thoughts?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't know Yogscast was still big enough for this kind of thing TBH

Maybe 2 years ago

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm just mad there's never any DLC for consoles. Doesn't matter, it's not like the 3DS version is worth having.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I actually kinda want more unexpected 3rd party characters, maybe to just piss the angry fans off even more. :awesome:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Personally, I think that this kind of adds to the fun a bit. I mean, racing games aren't exactly as complex as fighting games, so Sumo can just throw in whoever they want without much thought. I kind of wish Smash Bros was a bit like that, but obviously without Yogscast!

finalark

SNORLAX
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Yogscast a Minecraft guy primarily? I haven't seen any of his stuff, but just hopping on his channel and scrolling through it shows that its filled with the standard LPer fare. Minecraft, SCP Containment Breach and G-Mod. Nothing SEGA or Sonic related in sight, so yes, I can understand why people would be upset over him being a DLC character as opposed to someone like Ryo (seriously, why did they take him out?).

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Ryo is in the mobile version of the game. And Simon was chosen because he and Sega were supporting some charity or some ****. Seriously, any crossover can happen if a charity is involved these days!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm a more of a Nintendo fan than a Sega fan, so let's swap Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for SSB4, let's swap Ryo for Little Mac and just for the fun of it let's swap Simon for another internet celebrity, let's say... The Nostalgia Critic.

So Nostalgia Critic gets into SSB4 for the Wii U but Little Mac is only in the 3DS version...

Yep, I'd be pretty annoyed. I can see why Sega fans are angry.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm a more of a Nintendo fan than a Sega fan, so let's swap Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for SSB4, let's swap Ryo for Little Mac and just for the fun of it let's swap Simon for another internet celebrity, let's say... The Nostalgia Critic.

So Nostalgia Critic gets into SSB4 for the Wii U but Little Mac is only in the 3DS version...

Yep, I'd be pretty annoyed. I can see why Sega fans are angry.
"Ha! The "consoles" aren't worthy of such a privilege!" -Some Sumo Digital Employee.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
In the end, the game is really marketed towards kids, who probably won't even really mind that there are so many third party characters. In fact, that kind of adds to the game's appeal if you think about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
In the end, the game is really marketed towards kids, who probably won't even really mind that there are so many third party characters. In fact, that kind of adds to the game's appeal if you think about it.
Well lets be honest here. Most kids who ask their parents for this game don't really give a damn about who Ryo, Beat, Vyse, ect. are. Most kids who play SEGA All Stars Racing play it because of Sonic.

Although hopefully it was get enough younger kids interested in old SEGA games enough for SEGA to make a Skies of Arcadia 2, or Jet Set Radio 3, or Shenmue 3. Also, while we're here, **** Yogscast, **** Wreck-It-Ralph, **** the TF2 guys, I just want to see Alis, Rolf, Nei, Chaz or SOMEBODY from Phantasy Star make it in.

Top Bottom