• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic’s Falling Up Air (Combos and Kill Confirms)

Caah

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so falling up air is kinda broken. For those of you that don’t know, if you SH and slightly delay Sonic’s up air then fast fall, it will auto cancel. This is safe on shield, combos, kill confirms, crossups, anti-airs, aggressive approach option... in all honesty it’s kinda like an Ike Nair. It combos at all, non-ridiculously high, percents, and what i feel more importantly to Sonic, leads into kill setups. To me, it’s like a better, more consistent, Sm4sh upthrow, especially once you get down the timing.

So here are some BnB’s I like to use off of falling up air:
0-10%
AC Uair -> SH Uair FF -> FH Uair

AC Uair -> SH Uair FF -> FH Bair

AC Uair -> SH Uair FF -> FH Nair (slightly delay for sweetspot)

AC Uair -> SH Fair FF (Delayed) -> Dash Attack (Doesn’t work on floaties and some mid weights)

Which one you want to use depends entirely on you, whether you want to juggle (with DA, Uair and Usmash), edgeguard, string, get stage position, etc. They all do around the same percent

0-100%

AC Uair -> Bair (This combo works for a LONG time but the percentage for which jump you should use between SH, FH, SH DJ and FH DJ, vary and I haven’t tested exact percents)

50(ish)-100%

AC Uair - Homing attack (slightly charge homing attack to get a little off the ground, whole combo does about 20%)

110-(150-160-170>% (Kill Confirms)

AC Uair -> Spring -> Bair

AC Uair -> Spring -> Nair

AC Uair -> Spring -> Uair

For these, bair starts working earliest, best to use by the ledge. Nair kills off top earlier than Uair and more consistently than Bair, but timing windows can vary to land the sweetspot. Uair should always be used once it starts killing, easier to catch DI’s, easier to land, and more consistent to kill with.

I haven’t labbed everything out, and am currently trying to make a chart of the specific percentages that each kill. But 74 characters and 3 kill confirms for specific percentages for each is a LOT of time.

I’ve already seen pretty substantial success with this, my roommate complains about it constantly, and I’ve been able to get it off in tournament. It’s harder, but not impossible to land on smaller characters, but kills them much earlier.

Counterplay is really just mixing up DI. If you DI in front of Sonic, the most he can get is a drift Nair or Uair *IF* the player guesses right but if not, they’ll have to go for a Fair, which is still damage, but hey, at least you’re alive (¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Big bodies can’t really do much.

I hope this can be seen and used to advance Sonic’s meta further, and open up for more aggressive options and optimized combos in this rush down meta.

Thank you for reading through this! I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom