• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something interesting GC controller, and Matchmaking.

Nint3ndii77

Smash Rookie
As I hadn't really ever got into Smash Bros. before the release of Brawl, except for a few instances where I played at a friend's, I'm pretty new to the series. I also didn't own a Cube, so I naturally adapted the Wii-mote nuchuck control config.

I got curious and wanted to see what it'd be like to play Brawl with the GC controller. So I borrowed my neighbors and played for about an hour and a half. Thanks to fully customizable controls, It didn't take me too long to get the hang of it. I absolutely love the rumble intensity, as well the responsiveness of the buttons, especially the tightness of the analog stick. It seems the button response is just a tad faster than using a wireless wii-remote. Everything also feels really nice and in place.

So I decided to hop online and play. I played about 5 random games as well as some friend matches. It was obvious the GC controller made me better, cuz I wuz kickin some a**. I usually don't have too much trouble finding random opponents. This time around, on about 3 different occassions I found matches even quicker. The button lag also seemed lesser, and it kinda just felt better overall.

It kinda makes me wonder does the matchmaking server match you up with people using the same controls? Also, does using the wireless Wii-remote add some lag?? Thoughts?

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I have more lag with Wiichuck. Dunno why. My Wavebird acts fine.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I dunno, I also see some quirks related to matchmaking and control scheme. I too learned this series from Brawl and the Wii-chuck. However, whenever I use a customer controller setup, which for me is assigning smash keys to the d-pad on the wii mote, I get taunted incessantly. Almost every time, unless I use standard controls, I can't get a decent match. As soon as I put on smash keys out comes a sonic "you're too slow!" As if to say that smash keys make me cheap! As a result, I've actually had to learn the game sans smash keys. It -has- made me a better brawler, as I don't rely on them, but at the same time, I'm missing out on all the move combos that require them. It's kinda lame.

So last night I turned off all items and set stage to FD or BF, chose Marth, with smash keys assigned. And whatdoyaknow... taunted! And a Sonic there too. What was nice was after a round, 2 dropped leaving me in a nifty no items match on BOE against the Sonic. We ended in sudden death 1 ko a piece and he got me on my failed attempt to counter his uair. It was a good match actually, but from that point on it dissolved into a taunt party. When I disabled the smash keys things went back to normal. Then I turned them back on and ... taunted! >< My only guess is that one or even 2 of my opponents can see what I've got as a configuration. I've also noticed that some players pick their characters seemingly based on my pick, as if they can tell who I've picked before we've left the practice stage. There's too many little coincidences like this throughout the online brawl with anyone experience to rule out the possiblity we have it all wrong, and there really is a structure behind it all. meh.

Top Bottom