• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some videos of my Ike.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
So yesterday at night, before my router began to suck more than it did, I got some Wifi friendlies with Naucitos, a Yoshi main. I had little experience fighting Yoshis of any type (no johns) and it later turned out the matches were recorded, or at least some of them were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-voeIWQZbk (A surprising lack of me recovering OR using Aether, probably due to me not knowing how Yoshis punish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JelF1nq4E (Cut off, but it was just one dash attack in the start)

Well, those are the videos where I enjoyed the fighting by both parties. There wasn't any real lag, either.

Rate and hate.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I never experienced fighting a Yoshi as Ike myself, so this was pretty insightful. The 1st match was pretty one-sided, while the 2nd was more intense. I like how you handled it. I suppose the only beefs I got is that you relied on counter a bit much (especially when Yoshi spiked you), and you slightly misused quick draw which usually resulted in you getting hit by an egg. All-in-all a very good Ike.

I seriously need to get a router for college so I can play more. -_-

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I never experienced fighting a Yoshi as Ike myself, so this was pretty insightful. The 1st match was pretty one-sided, while the 2nd was more intense. I like how you handled it. I suppose the only beefs I got is that you relied on counter a bit much (especially when Yoshi spiked you), and you slightly misused quick draw which usually resulted in you getting hit by an egg. All-in-all a very good Ike.

I seriously need to get a router for college so I can play more. -_-
Yeah, I mistimed some of those Quick Draws, in essence because I didn't know what trajectory he threw the eggs at when I was charging.

And as for counter, I sometimes predict a move, counter, and then cry as I realize that there's a 10 frame start up (I did this a lot when I started, but it's much less now). I also sometimes degrade it on random things like eggs, for no reason.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Your Ike was pretty good, from what I made of the second match (didn't watch the first). You just need to grab more (which is sort of ironic, considering that you made a whole thread about it), FTilt less (you only got it to hit once if I recall correctly; you should save it as a wall, not a close-range attack), NAir more (especially at low %s; it's a great set-up attack), and don't use the full jab combo every time; it's great for damaging, but it works even better as a set-up. Single jabs or double jabs can lead to a grab, more jabs, or even DSmash if you need a quick kill.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
And as for counter, I sometimes predict a move, counter, and then cry as I realize that there's a 10 frame start up (I did this a lot when I started, but it's much less now). I also sometimes degrade it on random things like eggs, for no reason.
That's why you don't use it based on reaction (unless your opponent's moves are slow) because that's what Marth's is for. I find Ike's Counter far more useful for predicting and intercepting. You'd be surprised how many successful Counters you can pull off with Ike once you've perfected the timing of it.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, hopefully ill be uploading some more soon of me not getting owned and eating forward smashes for no reason >_<

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Your Ike was pretty good, from what I made of the second match (didn't watch the first). You just need to grab more (which is sort of ironic, considering that you made a whole thread about it), FTilt less (you only got it to hit once if I recall correctly; you should save it as a wall, not a close-range attack), NAir more (especially at low %s; it's a great set-up attack), and don't use the full jab combo every time; it's great for damaging, but it works even better as a set-up. Single jabs or double jabs can lead to a grab, more jabs, or even DSmash if you need a quick kill.
It is mildly ironic that those games had a pitiful successful grab amount, though I do miss the grab quite a bit every match. And I did notice myself Ftilting too much against Yoshi, but I don't usually. And as for the jab combo, I didn't know it led to a Dsmash, I'll be sure to look into that. Much thanks.

That's why you don't use it based on reaction (unless your opponent's moves are slow) because that's what Marth's is for. I find Ike's Counter far more useful for predicting and intercepting. You'd be surprised how many successful Counters you can pull off with Ike once you've perfected the timing of it.
I did a brief one month stint as a Marth user, actually, and I shook off the habits from that main, all except countering rates. Practice, practice, I guess.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Very good Ike. You did a ton of things right, especially spacing and edge guarding. I would just be cautious with using quick draw every time there is some space between you and the enemy. Smart players will catch on and just run and shield then punish. You did a good job of avoiding this though. Watch the spacing on the tilts and resist the urge to Bair every time the enemy is behind you. A few times you did this when Yoshi was too far to connect. Hopefully it didn't sound like I nitpicked too much, everything else was great. Keep it up;)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I think it's good I had these matches when I did, actually. My Wii broke almost as soon as I tried to play some matches with it. It's been a pretty bad day, but at least Smashboards is entertaining.

Very good Ike. You did a ton of things right, especially spacing and edge guarding. I would just be cautious with using quick draw every time there is some space between you and the enemy. Smart players will catch on and just run and shield then punish. You did a good job of avoiding this though. Watch the spacing on the tilts and resist the urge to Bair every time the enemy is behind you. A few times you did this when Yoshi was too far to connect. Hopefully it didn't sound like I nitpicked too much, everything else was great. Keep it up;)
Much thanks for the compliment. That was actually an interesting point about the back air, I always think Yoshi is bigger than they actually portray him :laugh:.

I think I got two matches done today with the same good Yoshi player (Before my Wii...died), but I'll have to check if they were recorded.

metroid1117

Smash Master
And as for the jab combo, I didn't know it led to a Dsmash, I'll be sure to look into that.
I should clarify: Jab -> DSmash works only if your opponent is DI'ing upward, so that when the first or second jab ends they're off the ground and land in time for the DSmash. It's not that good, given DSmash's relatively low killing power, but it's amusing to catch people with it the first time.

Top Bottom