• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

some speculation

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
is there a more forgiving window to l-cancel with Z rather than L or R in theory? near the first actionable frame after a move, L or R will make you airdodge, while in the same situation, z will make you l-cancel.. it's really weird, like you can airdodge before the last few frames of lag

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
is there a more forgiving window to l-cancel with Z rather than L or R in theory? near the first actionable frame after a move, L or R will make you airdodge, while in the same situation, z will make you l-cancel.. it's really weird, like you can airdodge before the last few frames of lag
If you're able to airdodge, then the move has finished and it's not possible to L-cancel (nor do you need to).

You can L-cancel with a light (analogue) press; an airdodge requires a hard (digital) press. The Z button is just a macro for "very light shield + A", so using Z is equivalent to using a light press with one of the triggers.

The window for an L-cancel is the 7 frames before landing regardless of how you input it.

Narpas_sword

You can L-cancel with a light (analogue) press; an airdodge requires a hard (digital) press. The Z button is just a macro for "very light shield + A", so using Z is equivalent to using a light press with one of the triggers..
I think in PM, Z counts as hard shield; missing an L-Cancel with it will ruin your tech window.

In theory, you should have more of a chance L-Canceling with L or R, and staggering from soft to hard press, as it would count it as two different inputs. (and as there's no fail window for L-Cancel, mashing at the input is ok.)

Although, you really only want to softpress to L-Cancel.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I think in PM, Z counts as hard shield; missing an L-Cancel with it will ruin your tech window.

In theory, you should have more of a chance L-Canceling with L or R, and staggering from soft to hard press, as it would count it as two different inputs. (and as there's no fail window for L-Cancel, mashing at the input is ok.)

Although, you really only want to softpress to L-Cancel.
Right. I didn't notice that this was the PM board and unconsciously assumed it was the Melee one. I'm not sure about Z counting as a hard press, since PM definitely distinguishes light and hard presses in some cases (airdodges are hard press only). Maybe it doesn't apply completely/universally like in Melee though.

Do you know any players that actually stagger/mash L-cancels? It certainly works, but honestly seems like more trouble than it's worth since the timing for L-cancelling is so lenient. At least, I can't imagine anyone who can already L-cancel consistently benefiting from it, except for maybe when they connect with a move with extremely large amounts of hitlag.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Right. I didn't notice that this was the PM board and unconsciously assumed it was the Melee one. I'm not sure about Z counting as a hard press, since PM definitely distinguishes light and hard presses in some cases (airdodges are hard press only). Maybe it doesn't apply completely/universally like in Melee though.

Do you know any players that actually stagger/mash L-cancels? It certainly works, but honestly seems like more trouble than it's worth since the timing for L-cancelling is so lenient. At least, I can't imagine anyone who can already L-cancel consistently benefiting from it, except for maybe when they connect with a move with extremely large amounts of hitlag.
anyone hard pressing L is technically staggering =p albeit it only covering two different frames at best.
But, no, id imagine most people just press L when they need to.

Chevy

Smash Ace
anyone hard pressing L is technically staggering =p albeit it only covering two different frames at best.
But, no, id imagine most people just press L when they need to.
Not necessarily, you can press all the way down in 1 frame. Also the Z macro is definitely hard press in PM, which is why you can't z-air out of tumble anymore.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Not necessarily, you can press all the way down in 1 frame. Also the Z macro is definitely hard press in PM, which is why you can't z-air out of tumble anymore.

yes, that's why I said, "at best"
at worst, they'll stagger the inputs within a frame.

The inputs would come after another, though the game might only read it as one.

=p

Chevy

Smash Ace
yes, that's why I said, "at best"
at worst, they'll stagger the inputs within a frame.

The inputs would come after another, though the game might only read it as one.

=p
My interpretation was 2 frames at best equals 2 consecutive frames, best and worst are kind of ambiguous here. Words amirite?

Top Bottom