• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Slightly-Advanced Mega Man Techniques found! Get your weapons ready!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I found some slightly-Advanced Techniques with Mega Man.
  1. Mega Man can use his FTilt at any walking speed (so he could go at the slowest speed possible, while shooting), could be useful for approach
  2. Using his DAir after a jump or his Up B makes him "glide" (makes him float, as if he lost some gravity) for a little bit. That'll definitely be useful in the Meta Game (maybe)
  3. UTilt is great for Punishing, but is also very Punishable. High Risk, High Reward.
Research. :4megaman:#MegaDorfPatrol:4megaman:

Last edited:

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Ah I noticed the dair AT as well. However, I noticed it only worked during Mega Man's ascent and found it to be difficult to do after up B-ing. I don't think the Dair AT will be used for recovery, but I can see some use in a short hop aerial attack. It also doesn't take him too far horizontally.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Util has a sweetpost in the very start that kills around 100-110. Is his fastest killing move by far.

Double jump Dair can be used to mixup with which direction go after the hover. It hits for 17 and is great for pressuring shields or escaping tough situations.

The jab, ftilt and nair share similar properties:

-They have a sweetpost in the cannon where they do one damage more and send people backwards enough. Not really useful but is better than nothing: avoids getting punished because they got too close and the pellet doesn't have enough hitstun.
-They hit for 3, 2 minimum.
-They can do 3 pellets in sucesion before going in a brief cd butt...
-You can do any attack with the normal pellet cd after they end. You can pellet, B, pellet, Side b, pellet, fsmash (although fsmash timing is tricky).
-You can jump any time during the jabs, and you can land any time during the nair. You can move freely in the space after jumping and you can do other attacks. For example Jab, nair, Fair is great for punishing aproaches.
-Jab has IASA frames where you can input dtilt. Dtilt has invinicibility in the very start.
-At long range you can spam side b or b to side b to b to side b.
-Reversing momentum in the air with a reverse b is a great way to escape situations.
-After Leaf shield you can only throw it forward or grab. Really bad unless to destroy enemy proyectiles because it has the highest priority i have seen (it's still very lackluster tho).
-You can jump after Upb if you didn't use it yet.
-Uair has less lag between attacks if you shffl it (that means that you land after the uair, quickly jump and use another).
-Specially Jab is totally strong even with the lack of range. Having trouble against CPU who can perfect shield them 3 but even with that they have no space to punish you if you are quick. The idea approach i have seen is to jump backwards after every 3 pellets or do 2 pellets one in the floor, one in a short jump and fastfall.
-Terrible english.

-Megaman is REALLY DIFICULT to use, you can micromanage most of his cds into jabs and that's extradamage and zoning. Is pretty much a better and shorter falco laser, without the followup game sadly :(.

Usmash, Dsmash, Dtilt and Fair are great antipressure mechanics if they manage to get away from your pellets. Sadly the timing is really difficult to pull off. The easiest one is to just jump fair after pellets.

Bair kills at 140 from the edges. Usmash at 160. Dsmash around that percentage and fsmash is even higher. Dairs is not very reliable as a gimp mechanic (i find metal blade to be better, or pellets or bair/fair) but it can be a very strong zoning technique and is a great on stage attack using the glide portion of it.

Annnnd that's all, i'll post more as i find out.

Oh i forgot one thing: Pivot fsmash and pivot pellets are great too if you need a quicker retreat. Pivot fsmash is just fantastic, it works like olimar's pivot grab in brawl: every time the aproach just do that and it should hit them during the landing unless they double jump. Is free 14%. Although the timing is tricky

One more: Uair may kill people randomly. It doesn't do a lot of damage but is a force to be reckoned with. If you cancel it in the floor the rate of fire is very fast.

Grabs kill at 160/180. Dthrow to uair is not really good because Uair is easily airdodgeable but you have other moves. Bthrow/Fthrow are good enough to send people offstage at decent percents.

Fully charged fsmash will hit people who grab the ledge when they have their invulnerability time nerfed (i mean, when they have been out a lot of time and it just last a microsecond. well fsmash will last just enough to hit them and is big enough to hit them in the border).

I don't know what more to post.

amdlkasmdl

Metal blade to the ground is terrible, it has insane priority and can mess with you if the enemy grabs it. Also you can't use metal blade until the last one despawns.

Standard side b is decent/good. The timing is to fire it every time it hits/dissapears on a shield. After the enemy is hit with it, any pellet combo/metal blade will do enough hitstun to combo into the explosion. DO NOT GRAB BEFORE IT GOES OUT, it will latch onto you, but do grab after it explodes because you have a free window while they shield the explosion.

(Also, villager can do this too. You can follow sideb and grab anyone who shields it or spotdodges it. If they jump you can follow with fair easily).

The TLDR tip if you don't want the big chunk of terrible english: try to jump during/just after the three pellets and you will see a world of oportunities.

About the Dair: the best use i have found is to pressure people shielding you. If you do it in a double jump you will land with no lag. Also you can do a short jump and quickly do it to hover along the ground hiting the opponent, but is easily punishable :/

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
There are not many things you can do while having the Leaf Shield up, but if you grabbend an item you can throw it without losing the Leaf Shield. Could be used as some pressure to get a grab afterwards.

The saws go through Links shield (not the bubble).

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can use metal blade to ground, pick up metal blade, then leaf shield and throw the metal blade with the leaf shield up. Leaf shield prior to grabbing the ledge isn't too shabby and can mess up some recoveries if you're on the ledge with the leaf shield on.

D-smash is the fastest kill move (% wise) and can be done OoS on some attacks. U-smash OoS is pretty good too.

Megaman can edgeguard really well with footstool and bair, but both are situational. Z-dropped metal blades are good. (grab drop in this game I guess?)

Megaman overall is seeming fairly mediocre in that most of his "punishes" aren't super good. He has to work really hard to get something and then only get 10-20% from it. He has an advantage in that his same tactics work at virtually any %, but he unfortunately doesn't have any easy combos that are reliable to get off.

U-smash to u-tilt at low % works. Falling u-air to double jump u-air works as a combo.

Dash attack is near worthless as an attack, opponent can SDI through it easily. Almost better as a run away move.

up+b out of hitstun is pretty good.

U-throw is great for followups with metal blade -> fair, d-throw -> fair can work sometimes.

Megaman's grab is great, his throws are pretty bad.

There's no way megaman can really guarantee a KO on his own, but he can put the opponent in a lot of bad situations.

You can crash bomb an invincible person.

You can crash bomb the ledge as you're returning to the stage; if you time it right, you can input the jump fro mledge and the crash bomb's last hit will cancel it and you'll have no lag. Like a waveland on stage, but harder to do and faster.

Megaman is really, really easily edgeguarded if he comes at the wrong angle. If his momentum is lost and he has no jump, he will die. Hopefully a custom move will help him out.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
To my surprise, this is easily my favorite character in the game so far. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, seeing as it's relatively simplistic compared to the great stuff you guys have discovered and I'm only working off ~6 hours with just the demo, but I wanted to get other opinions about that Dair. Others have seemed a bit dismissive of it, but I've had great success with it off the ledge as a gimping tactic. I've been regularly taking people out with it at as low as 25%, and while a character like Villager can still recover from it most of the time, it's particularly useful against characters like Link and Mario. It's much safer to even attempt than similarly powerful gimp moves like, say, Mario's Fair or Link's Dair, since you can maintain a safe distance and avoid being punished. I'm sure there are characters (like the aforementioned Villager) who shouldn't be approached from above in this way, but otherwise, it seems like a really strong edgeguarding tactic. I'm probably not articulating this very well, but I feel like there must be some downside I'm missing, and I'd appreciate anybody explaining why I may be overrating this move. Again, sorry if I picked the wrong place to ask!

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I've been playing him the most in the demo, since I usually enjoy projectile type characters and I don't plan on main the anyone else in the demo.

The only really advanced thing I found with him is that his n-air sweetspot on the arm cannon has more knockback then f-air and launches them at the same trajectory, which could make if better for gimping characters with strong enough recoveries to survive a f-air, and for saving your b-air for the future. Also it's just be funny to score a KO with the lemons. It could also be used as a way to jump back on stage from the ledge in some situations.

Just some other cool stuff:
-Mega Man falls as the same speed as a Metal Blade, so he can fire it down and pick it up before it hits the ground if he's high enough.
-Crash Bomber does a hefty amount of damage to shields if it's not perfect shielded. I managed to break a computers shield with it and a charged f-smash, and maybe another attack. Don't remember exactly how but I did do it. However the computer also isn't very creative when it comes to being stuck with crash bomber and will always elect to just turn it shield on and off instead of trying to get it to stick to Mega Man, so going for the shield break might not be an option against a human unless you got them really scared.

Last edited:
Top Bottom