• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Observations from a Metaknight main.

psg188

Smash Rookie
This is not a shoddy attempt at a guide, but merely some observations I've come across while playing. (I've played Metaknight a good 20 hours at least)

- His down smash is his best killing move. It hits hard, it hits fast, and it has little to no lag. I can't say how many times I've down smashed and then when they go to shield grab I just down smash again and it comes out faster then their grab, killing them. It also has very long range, I'd reckon longer then Metaknight's forward smash.

- Metaknight can edge guard (unlike many Brawl characters), he can do so with down air as it is his only air move that has reliable horizontal knock back. His forward air sends too far up, and his neutral air also sends up too high to be a good edge guarding maneuver and also has long cool down lag (compared to his other moves)

- Metaknight has beastly combo potential, you'd think he's a melee character by how well he can combo you. His throws can't be used to combo very well but his moves are fast, have priority you won't believe, and have decent range considering how small a character he is.

- Don't crouch, it's worthless, his crouch reminds me of Mewtwo's from Melee.

- Some combo's I've used to great effect:

Forward air to down smash, basically to pull this off you approach with the forward air and space it so only the tip of the sword hits, then land and mash down-C. It works pretty well.

Down throw to forward tilt x3 (remember it has 3 hits with the last hit having more knock back) This only works at very low %, but if it does the knock back from the 3rd tilt won't push them very far, allowing you to follow with a forward air, or up air.

Up air x3+... this is a fun one, I like how his up air sends straight up, with his multiple jumps you can just up air, jump, up air, jump, up air, et cetera. This won't work for long as they can DI out of it, but it's fun none the less.

- Metaknight can run very fast. For having short legs he can sprint with the best of them, giving him very good ground throw potential as you can run right up to them.

- His down B is not very good, at least I haven't been able to use it to any great effect yet. (This is the dimension cape where he teleports and slashes) The slash is only in one direction, and the move has eons of lag.

- His up tilt and up smash do not send very far, but are decent moves, the up smash has lots of range, which is good, the up tilt has more combo potential.

- Pros of Metaknight:

fast
good range with his sword
fairly strong if you use the right moves
mucho recovery
is the coolest character by far

-Cons of Metaknight

no ranged attacks
glide can take some getting used to
some of his moves are worthless (most aren't though)
no defense against ranged attacks
grabs aren't very good (for KO or combo)

UPDATE::

- Neutral B has rediculously good horizontal recovery and can be used to surprise your opponent, mash B to rise a decent amount. The last hit has just enough knockback to prevent punish, otherwise the attack isn't that good. Not much damage even though it looks like a ton.

- Forward B has really good priority but virtually the same problem as neutral B, not very much damage (though it looks like a lot), can be used to mind game while recoverying, just enough knockback to prevent punish, not combo/ko potent

Thanks for reading, if you want to use any of this be sure to ask permission.

Top Bottom