• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some character-specific tips for my Lucas

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I've been playing my friends for quite a bit and I find some issues I think I can improve on:

1. How do I counter Lucario's chaingrab (forcepalm)?

2. If Lucario starts out the match by charging his aura sphere, what do I do? (and does the same advice go for Samus's Charge Shot and DK's Giant Punch?)

3. Should I play an offensive or defensive approach against falco?

4. How do deal with Snake's side b?

5. General tips for olimar/wolf (they're fast and annoying).

Any help would be appreciated.

Levitas

the moon
Welcome to smashboards ^_^

1. Try to avoid getting hit by the first forcepalm within the percents that it'll chain. This means using moves with less lag like ftilt, jab, and autocancelling nairs, or just staying away for a while and tossing a few pk fires.

2. If they start off by charging a move, take the initiative to move to a good part of the stage. At the beginning of the match, that means trying to corner the lucario/samus towards the edge (but leave a bit of room). Note that they can release the blast, and have a countermeasure ready at all times, whether it be a pk fire, bat, or dodge/shield. Your goal is to start off at an advantage, and you'll do better by starting off where you choose than they will with a charged shot.

3. I like playing more defensively than offensively against falco, but once they start approaching you, stop turtling. If you only get a few glancing blows, you're not gonna win.

4. Ignore it. rush the snake if he's firing at you from a distance, and pretend to rush him if you're somewhat close by to get him to drop the nikita preemptively. grenades are much more of a pain, anyway.

5. Both olimar and wolf aren't great at defending against diagonal up... sometimes. if olimar gets wise to your plans, he'll up b and get you, so it's necessary to mix things up. Beating wolf depends on your ability to make him die when he's offstage. I prefer PKT for this.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
1. And what percents are those?

2. What stages (and what parts of those stages) would be considered good for lucas at this point?

3. Is Lucas Nair > Falco jab combo?

5. What do you mean by diagonal up? And for wolf, what about onstage?

And some more questions:

6. How do I bait Pikachu into thundering? (for healing purposes)

7. Preventing DDD's chaingrab.

8. What to do if star fox keeps spamming their blasters? Ignore, absorb (at the start of the match i'm at 0% anyway) or approach?

lil cj

Smash Lord
Not to be mean but...
some of these things
are just common knowledge and can be figured out on your own
And have been discussed in other threads

The smartest thing to do is go to other character boards
and do research on the characters yourself
Thats what alot of people do

The Lucas boards even have a matchup thread and Lucas guide that all Lucas players...especially new players should read

Welcome to smashboards and the Lucas boards btw

/thread

Levitas

the moon
It sounds like you're trying to get a bunch of knowledge without actually playing the game.

You'll find that playing will give you more relevant information faster, and you'll have the advantage of experience, too.

The last one is an important question, though. Stay far enough away that you can magnet safely, and do so. The point is to force him to approach, and therefore play on your terms.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Levitas, check the OBR. I'm doing some testing and I need you to make sure I'm doing it right before I start.

Top Bottom