• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, who is going Evo?

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
I am the only noteable D3 is Las Vegas, and it would be great to meet up with some fellow D3 players and talk about smash.

I don't know about housing anyone personally, but if you're in need, I could figure something out.

I go by Senpai

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I am going to EVO! And I would love to meet you there and do some friendlies and all that! I also know that TortillaThePun from the Discord will be going, so look out for him too!

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ok I'm here. Wearing a shirt with a bunch of classic nintendo characters on it, with a Pikachu and his trainer playing video games at the bottom if you want to meet me. Currently standing at the very corner of the smash wii u section

GuardianOfTheLedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoofNStein
I really wish I could have gone, even though I heard EVO treated Smash 4 pretty bad. Was the tournament any any fun despite the problems? And how did you guys do?

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Funny thing is I probably will never go to a tournament until I am 25, so all I can do is sit back and hope for the best. Didn't see Big D's name in Top 32 :/

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Big D did not go to this tournament. In fact no real notable DDD players went at all! Personally I went 2-2, ChrisTheHatman ended up not being able to go, Pluck from the discord went 3-2, a DDD I met there named Swamp went 4-2 I believe, and TortillaThePun from the discord was the best performing DDD there as he made it out of round one pools, I believe getting 5-2! There were a few other DDD players there but sadly most went 1-2 or 0-2. I met one DDD who said that EVO was his first tournament ever! Talk about diving straight into the deep end!

Anyways I still had fun, and despite everything we missed out on, Grand Finals was still hype. But even though I was glad I went and had an overall great time, I really want to rant about one thing, so hang with me here if you will:

One thing that really bothered me about finals, I don't mind the time slot, I don't mind the location, I don't even mind the lack of seating that caused this problem, but I really do mind how they treated the people not lucky enough to find one of the limited seats. There were probably a couple hundred seats, I would guess around 500, and there were over 3000 entrants for Smash Wii U I believe, but I think only about 1000 woke up early enough to come back day 2 to see the finals. So we had a few hundred people forced to sit on the concrete off to the side of the main seating area, and they were fine with doing so. But other games were having important matches going on at that time too, and smashers had to compete for floor space with other FGC fans, so there were probably about 200 people still with nowhere to sit after the sides filled up. So they did what any normal person without a seat would do: stand behind the last row of seats or sit in the aisles. However, the EVO staff went out of their way to somewhat rudely force these people to move. They people asked where they need to move to, and they got no answer. There was nowhere else within a decent range of the projector screen, so they were forced to move pretty dang far away, so eventually they all came back and filled the space again, so the staff yelled at them again. Then in Grand Finals, the staff LEGIT STOPPED A GAME IN PROGRESS just to yell at the people standing and sitting in the aisles. Nobody was mad at them for sitting there except for the staff, everyone sitting in the seats was fine with the aisles being filled, but the staff straight up stopped game one of grands to yell at these poor folks who never found a seat. Personally, I was lucky enough to have someone hand off their seats to me and my girlfriend in the back row, so I didn't even experience this firsthand, but I could feel the disrespect that the fans were getting from the EVO staff. That is the one thing I cannot let slide. No pools projector? Fine. Only 2 setups per pool? Fine. Pools running late? FINE! Disrespecting the people who came here from hundreds of miles away just to spectate in this subpar grand finals viewing area that didn't have enough seats to begin with? Now you've crossed the line!

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Big D did not go to this tournament. In fact no real notable DDD players went at all! Personally I went 2-2, ChrisTheHatman ended up not being able to go, Pluck from the discord went 3-2, a DDD I met there named Swamp went 4-2 I believe, and TortillaThePun from the discord was the best performing DDD there as he made it out of round one pools, I believe getting 5-2! There were a few other DDD players there but sadly most went 1-2 or 0-2. I met one DDD who said that EVO was his first tournament ever! Talk about diving straight into the deep end!

Anyways I still had fun, and despite everything we missed out on, Grand Finals was still hype. But even though I was glad I went and had an overall great time, I really want to rant about one thing, so hang with me here if you will:

One thing that really bothered me about finals, I don't mind the time slot, I don't mind the location, I don't even mind the lack of seating that caused this problem, but I really do mind how they treated the people not lucky enough to find one of the limited seats. There were probably a couple hundred seats, I would guess around 500, and there were over 3000 entrants for Smash Wii U I believe, but I think only about 1000 woke up early enough to come back day 2 to see the finals. So we had a few hundred people forced to sit on the concrete off to the side of the main seating area, and they were fine with doing so. But other games were having important matches going on at that time too, and smashers had to compete for floor space with other FGC fans, so there were probably about 200 people still with nowhere to sit after the sides filled up. So they did what any normal person without a seat would do: stand behind the last row of seats or sit in the aisles. However, the EVO staff went out of their way to somewhat rudely force these people to move. They people asked where they need to move to, and they got no answer. There was nowhere else within a decent range of the projector screen, so they were forced to move pretty dang far away, so eventually they all came back and filled the space again, so the staff yelled at them again. Then in Grand Finals, the staff LEGIT STOPPED A GAME IN PROGRESS just to yell at the people standing and sitting in the aisles. Nobody was mad at them for sitting there except for the staff, everyone sitting in the seats was fine with the aisles being filled, but the staff straight up stopped game one of grands to yell at these poor folks who never found a seat. Personally, I was lucky enough to have someone hand off their seats to me and my girlfriend in the back row, so I didn't even experience this firsthand, but I could feel the disrespect that the fans were getting from the EVO staff. That is the one thing I cannot let slide. No pools projector? Fine. Only 2 setups per pool? Fine. Pools running late? FINE! Disrespecting the people who came here from hundreds of miles away just to spectate in this subpar grand finals viewing area that didn't have enough seats to begin with? Now you've crossed the line!
Man, those staff are worse than Leffen

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
I went 4-2 in my sets, GimR was in my pool and I played him in losers semis; I really expected game and watch and I know how to win that match up, but he went fox instead and beat me 2-0.

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
I personally do not think so. His invincible up smash loses to fast fall back air, and range is less, and he dies early. He has no kill set ups, you just have to play a strong neutral and it's possible to win.

Top Bottom