• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...Which Popular Characters WON'T Make It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memememe

Smash Apprentice
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection (For reference)

I'm sure a lot of you have read the above article by now....for those of you that haven't, it's a cool read on the character selection process as described by Sakurai. Of note is how it's inferred that popular characters may not be included because they don't contribute anything to the balance and variety of the roster.

That being said, which popular characters do you think run the risk of falling under this category for SSB4?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It seems to me he's looking for feshness moveset wise first, and fan appeal to a second (but not distant) degree.

For example... Mach Rider with a mechanic where he rides his bike all the time sounds like it would add more to the game than Black Knight representing Fire Emblem attacks that don't really add anything that's already not present.

At least this is what I'm getting.

But I still think he's going to try to bring characters that have both unique mechanics AND are fan favorites.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It seems to me he's looking for feshness moveset wise first, and fan appeal to a second (but not distant) degree.

For example... Mach Rider with a mechanic where he rides his bike all the time sounds like it would add more to the game than K.Rool just sporting his DKC attacks that don't really add anything that's already not present.

At least this is what I'm getting.

But I still think he's going to try to bring characters that have both unique mechanics AND are fan favorites.

I think that was a really unecessary and untrue jab at K. Rool fans. I think both characters could add something unique to the game, and I won't hesitate to say there's alot of ways to approach K. Rool other than what the fans consistently go for.

Sakurai tends to think outside the box. K. Rool has alot to work with. Granted, you have to get more creative with someone like Mach Rider or Takamaru, but I don't really think that means one can be there while the other can't...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think that was a really unecessary and untrue jab at K. Rool fans. I think both characters could add something unique to the game, and I won't hesitate to say there's alot of ways to approach K. Rool other than what the fans consistently go for.

Sakurai tends to think outside the box. K. Rool has alot to work with. Granted, you have to get more creative with someone like Mach Rider or Takamaru, but I don't really think that means one can be there while the other can't...

I realised that as soon as I finished my post, I'm really sorry. I have NOTHING against K.Rool. I actually love the villain. I'm just trying to go by the line of thought that Sakurai apparently has in that interview.

Switched K.Rool for Black Knight. But not as an intentional jab or anything.

I could also use Ray 01. I like him, but unless Sakurai uses a customization mechanic, Ray 01 would essentially be just another Rob/Fox type character.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I realised that as soon as I finished my post, I'm really sorry. I have NOTHING against K.Rool. I actually love the villain. I'm just trying to go by the line of thought that Sakurai apparently has in that interview.

Switched K.Rool for Black Knight. But not as an intentional jab or anything

I feel pretty awful now. Didn't mean to fly off the handle, I just get uppity about DKC things. Black Knight is a much more agreeable comparison for sure. (And one of the reasons I'm sure his popularity is nonexistent these days, in addition to his lack of recent importance in a series that thrives on that.)

If we're going by series comparison, I think K. Rool is a much more likely candidate than Dixie for not being easily compared to DK/Diddy, etc. However, only time will tell!

I do love that there seems to be more emphasis on unique characters. Fo real.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I kinda suspected this was true, and I also kinda agree with his reasoning to a point. Adding a bunch of sword-wielders seems kinda boring to me, for example. Depending on how much he weighs that criteria, a character like Fiora might be more likely than Shulk, to use Xenoblade Chronicles for an example, because she's not just another sword-wielder (although personally, I like Dunban and Riki better than both of them, and the latter would certainly have a unique move set).

Not to say that Shulk wouldn't have any unique moves, but certainly his A-attacks at least would be pretty standard sword stuff.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A
I feel pretty awful now. Didn't mean to fly off the handle, I just get uppity about DKC things. Black Knight is a much more agreeable comparison for sure. (And one of the reasons I'm sure his popularity is nonexistent these days, in addition to his lack of recent importance in a series that thrives on that.)

If we're going by series comparison, I think K. Rool is a much more likely candidate than Dixie for not being easily compared to DK/Diddy, etc. However, only time will tell!

I do love that there seems to be more emphasis on unique characters. Fo real.

No worries! I made a poll a while back (for a project's purpose) wether who was more significant/popular, either K.Rool or Black Knight, and K.Rool won by a landslide.

Started playing DKC because it got me curious, and now I love DKC. (Sad he's not in TF).

But yeah, I think Sakurai wants Mechanics > Fan appeal this time for some reason. I'm ok with that, to be frank. Just as long as he stirs away from clones/semiclones. :D (Or even Final Smash clones)

D

Deleted member

Mods, we have another anti support thread. Please lock it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
After reading that article, I wonder how Sakurai felt even more now when he had to cut Mewtwo from Brawl at the time. Regardless, he's gotten more respect from me, surprisingly.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'd love to see Dixie AND King K. Rool in this game, but I doubt we'll get both. So whichever we don't get in Smash 4, we should get in Smash 5.

Same with Toad and Bowser Jr.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Those at high risk:

- Dixie or K.Rool: Less likely that both will make it. So there's probably going to be one big disappointment here. Would have thought K.Rool is a shoe in until the rise of Dixie at E3.

- Shulk: No Xenoblade sequel in development means that he does not belong to a staple series which hurts his chances badly.

- Geno: Only a supporting character in one game ever. Unfortunately because he's great.

- All of the popular FE reps: No one is a clear choice so several of the popular choices will definitely miss out.

- Girahim: A villain in only one game so far and probably ever. His supporters are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

- Banjo & Kazooie: Microsoft! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom