• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... what exactly does Dedede not kill?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm curious as to what characters counter Dedede, and how badly, and maybe a little insight on how to deal with them/what character to counter pick.

Thanks. :)

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
we already had a post bout this man
olimar is the best counter pick, because ddd is a good pikmin target, and olimar just works good against him.
i cant think of anyone else, but olimar can own ddd hard.
shiek might be good against him, with her ftilt and uptilt, he'd get comboed alot.
its my theroy that kirby is good against DDD but this is a theroy, i havent seen many matches vs kirby

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
falco is the only counter pick for ddd that i see so far ,he can chain grab ddd and he can't cg falco so he has to space very good to do damage and falco is fast and has lasers so he can put the press on lord ddd , i pick snake to counter him because he hits hard and can space falco away with his missles and can ko easy with his forward tilt

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Metaknight is harsh, really harsh. Both people that knocked me out at Chapman 4 were Metaknight players, they are very hard to fight, very fast movement speed/grab speed, basically unpunishable side B(drill) hes basically too quick to fall into the basic mindgames, so you'll spend most of your time spamming waddle dee's and f/utilts

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Metaknight, wolf, and Olimar are easilly my worst matchups. wolf is probably the best counter pick to DDD, which sucks because of my friends mains him, and punishes my DDD so hard I have to go Marth or Toon Link. Metaknight I have learned to deal with. Patience is the key to fighting a good metaknight. if they use drill, just make sure to shield, space, if they are open go for a low lag move (nair or bair work best from what I've seen). Metaknight is basically a spacing game. Don't toss too many waddle dees or you might walk into a trap by accidentally picking them up. Olimar is rough on all big characters, just make sure you space your tilts and try to get him off stage as much as possible for a very easy edgehog.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Thanks for the tips, Cuba. Unfortunately, none of my friends play MK, so my only expierence has been in a tournament bracket :( One thing that pisses me off about waddle dees in general is how much they can screw you over with C-Stick. If you short hop a forward air, you have to start it early, but if there's a doo or dee in thte way you automatically pick it up and throw it, grrr.

My general strategy for fighting MKs was very slow (first match on battlefield lasted 5m30s) almost all ftilts and doo toss. I mostly have to work on edgeguarding, against other characters (zero suit, pkmn trainer, rob) I always have a very aggressive edgeguariding style, flying off the stage with several back airs, but against metaknight, I almost always get punished by the drill.

Met

Smash Ace
Olimar is real good vs him. a real good snake player can out spam him and keep him away. falco is good vs him pit is too and also MK. any character that can stay on him will give him trouble. ooh also toon link does well.

some people may disagree but play chillins toon link or azens pit and its real hard to do anything.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips, Cuba. Unfortunately, none of my friends play MK, so my only expierence has been in a tournament bracket :( One thing that pisses me off about waddle dees in general is how much they can screw you over with C-Stick. If you short hop a forward air, you have to start it early, but if there's a doo or dee in thte way you automatically pick it up and throw it, grrr.

My general strategy for fighting MKs was very slow (first match on battlefield lasted 5m30s) almost all ftilts and doo toss. I mostly have to work on edgeguarding, against other characters (zero suit, pkmn trainer, rob) I always have a very aggressive edgeguariding style, flying off the stage with several back airs, but against metaknight, I almost always get punished by the drill.
You're welcome. yeah, **** waddle dees and the c-stick auto pick up. you have to be careful with your edge guards doing bair edge guards is a very good strategy, especially for gimps, but you have to be careful. luckily most characters will try to recover directly below the edge (space animals, falcon, luigi, etc.) so you can actually sit near the edge, and before they use a recovery move just do a dair right where the edge is. sometimes it will soft spike them, but most cases it will pop them up, leaving them open for an uair or possibly even a bair afterwards. but yeah, be careful about edge guarding MK. I almost never edge guard him unless he is lower than the edge, and even then they can tornado all the way up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alright, thanks for all the good posts, cubaisdeath especially.

Which characters are good against MetaKnight/Olimar, then? Kinda off-topic, but eh, I want to be a Dedede main and I want to know who I should pick up as a secondary to cover for his bad match-ups.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
i heard wolf is good against olimar because of his moderate speed and longer reach/quick attacks.
but id go with sonic, he is too fast to stick a pikmin on, you can just fly in and out of battle and olimar would be confused

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What of the starting roster are good counters of MetaKnight and Olimar? I'm going to a Brawl launch-tourney, and they only have the starting roster I think.

Sonic_VS_Mario

Smash Cadet
this is sortof a guess but i would think sonic would have a bit of an adv because hes fast and ddd is not extremly slow but hes not fast sooo..... maybe sonic.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone think Olimar owns Dedede

tether recovery, guys, does no one remember that?

Met

Smash Ace
Despit him having a tether recovery a good olimar can live for a very long time (with correct DI) his upB still sends hime upwards when he does it. Play a good olimar that just runs throws pickmin and keeps you away from him. They do a whole hell of alot of damage and ddd is slow and big and doesn't have to many good moves to get them off of him. thats why he is a good counter to ddd.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
So my friend plays Dedede almost exclusively (in the four sessions I've gotten to play it). The best character I've found to counter him is Zelda (though this could be due to my being good with Zelda).

Din's Fire is longer ranged and more powerful than waddle-dees. It is also one of the few projectiles they cannot simply get in the way of. Naryu's Love can reflect Gordos to boot. Zelda's grab is one of the few non-ranged grabs that competes with Dedede's for range. She is too light to be chainthrowed inescapably. Her lightning kick is super-easy to hit on such a large target, and can kill him at lower percentages than most other characters can manage. Din's Fire can also hit him during his recovery easily.

Basically, she has counter-points to all of his main advantages: Waddle-dee spamming, chain-grabbing, and his heavy weight/good recovery.

Top Bottom