• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, what does the rest of the FGC use for low-latency tournament monitors?

Brian_Buckley

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrianBuckley
We're finally being made switch from CRTs, and it's scary. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a new monitor to bring to tournaments/smashfests to use with Smash Wii U and was wondering what the consensus is within the rest of the community, and maybe this might help some of you guys out as well. I currently keep a small CRT and carrying case with a Melee setup in my car at all times and it's extremely convenient for bringing setups to tournaments and other peoples' houses, etc. The problem is it's impossible to get a monitor that's both low latency and cheap enough to be able to not worry about like we do with our cheap ass CRTs. As a PC gamer, I currently use two Asus VG248QE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0) monitors for my PC setup, but those might be a bit much for a cheap tournament setup. It'd be great if we could find a cheap monitor (less than $200) that could easily be put into a carrying bag along with a Wii U for easy tournament setups, has sound (not as common for monitors), and <5 ms of lag. Really what that means is a monitor 24 inches or less with a detachable stand such that it can be placed flat in a bag. What have you guys had in mind with this, and is there any consensus within the rest of the FGC for what to use? Thanks.

PND

Smash Champion
Tagged, I am super interested in this as well. Hopefully I can snatch up a couple on black friday.

Nyhte

Smash Cadet
Anyone know if they'd go 144hz or 60hz?

Around $200 I know there's some gaming monitors, with averaged, (I believe that's how it works) low response time, but they're more entry/mid level, the 'good' or decent ones with 144hz are more around $300

Last edited:

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
Well smash is capped at 60fps so there would be no advantage to a 144hz monitor.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
www.displaylag.com

I use a BenQ RL2455HM, some people use Asus. As long as the input delay is under 16ms and the response time is 1-2ms you should be fine

But yeah just be careful to understand that response time and input delay aren't the same thing. Response time is the speed at which the display changes the colour of pixels from black to white/grey to grey. Basically a faster response time means less ghosting, since no TV/monitor will respond so slowly that it causes actual delay in image display.

Edit: For all you guys wondering whether you should go 144Hz 1440p etc, that depends entirely on what you're playing. For PC games it is worth it but only if you have an enormously powerful PC that can play games at high frame rates in said resolution. If you're going to be playing console fighters, they put out a 1080p/60Hz signal maximum so ultimately you'd save yourself a huge amount of money sticking with a high performance 1080p/60 display.

Good luck with hunting. :)

Final note, you're going to be sacrificing some noticeable image quality for the performance. The blacks won't be as deep and the colours will be a little washed out. That's the price you're going to have to expect to pay for a more responsive HDTV. Still, displaylag has a list of TVs that perform well and don't lag too much, which is what I'd recommend for your more casual experiences.

Last edited:

Brian_Buckley

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrianBuckley
I was actually just looking at the BenQ RL2455HM since you can get it for $170 refurbished on their site. You say you'd recommend it?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well I use it and it was the standard at MLG last year so you're not going to go wrong with it. Can't you get it new for about the same price? Seems a bit much for a refurbished one.

I'd definitely recommend tweaking some of the settings when you get it though, namely changing the HDMI option to RGB 0-255. I can't understand for the life of me why irs standard configuration would use a lower colour gamut.

But yeah it's still got a little less colour depth than the WiiU gamepad, so don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited:

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
EVO standard for years has been Asus VH238.
displaylag.com has a list of monitors and display lag.

Top Bottom