• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what do you think of the split art style?

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
3DS has every thing cell shaded and the Wii U has high detail characters.

I think it's a really cool idea. Can't wait to see Megaman cell shaded.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the cel shading is to get around the technical differences.

Overall, I absolutely love this new art style and the changes made to the character designs. Samus is in her gorgeous Other M armor and Fox's clothes seem more streamlined.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I think it's neat. I wasn't sure at first on the 3DS style but when they showed that was only for the handheld version, I was okay with it. The Wii U graphics look great. I lost it as soon as Mario touched down on Battlefield. Plus looking at the renders on the Dojo; everyone has been updated a tiny bit and all fit this new style that is just perfect for Smash. Super excited.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There are screenshots of 3DS Mega Man on the site:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/mega_man.html

In general, I'm a lot more excited for the Wii U version, and I'm not a huge fan of how the 3DS game looks, but we'll see. Obviously Wii U will be the tournament standard so my main question for 3DS is "what does this game offer me?" with the answer so far being "it seems to have completely different stages".

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I don't think they could have picked 2 better styles! I'm very happy it's this decision!

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE the graphics; especially for the Wii U. The game is more detailed than brawl, and the characters look a lot smoother and more colorful. Everything is more vivid and overall very appealing, which is what I was hoping for.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty happy with it too - I like a bit of block outline every now and then.

Ruthy

Smash Apprentice
The Cell Shading is a brilliant way to get around the fact that the 3DS isn't HD, and I like it too. I still like cleaner models of the Wii U version but 3DS is still pretty good. I like that they look like sprites to ^^

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Sakurai said that the cell-shading/outlining was to help with visibility off of the big screen and I kinda like how it looks.

Now if only they could put the outlining back in Yoshi's Island :\

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
I like how the characters are being redesigned to fit their current games. Other M Samus looks fantastic and Megaman looks straight out of a Powered Up style game. The outlines are a nice, subtle way to handle the 3DS graphics. Kudos Nintendo!

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I love how they took the games in these art directions. The characters seem more true to their series while in Brawl they were not all a reflection of their series art style

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think the cel shading is to get around the technical differences.

Overall, I absolutely love this new art style and the changes made to the character designs. Samus is in her gorgeous Other M armor and Fox's clothes seem more streamlined.
Pretty much this. Hit every nail on the head with how I feel.

Top Bottom