• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, out of curiosity, who thinks Duck Hunt was put in to replace Ice Climbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying this is my main belief, I just feel like bringing up a theory.
Sakurai has said that in Melee, he wanted someone to represent the 8-bit era. After a lot of looking, the Ice Climbers were chosen to be these representatives.
However, thanks to the graphical limitations of the 3DS, the Ice Climbers were incredibly hard to create. Since they weren't worth the effort, they had to be cut. Now lacking the 8-bit era representation (with the only characters who could've done so before now having newer games), Sakurai may have looked for someone to take their place, and thus, the Duck Hunt Dog along with a duck working as the same entity joined the fight.
This is purely speculation, but I'm curious about what you guys think.

And I apologize if someone already made a thread about this theory, since it seems like a pretty logical theory that could be pretty easy to come up with. :nervous:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope... and the haters need to stop making DHD a scapegoat.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Nope... and the haters need to stop making DHD a scapegoat.
I'm just thinking of a theory. I'm not trying to put Duck Hunt in a bad light. Trust me: I love the Duck Hunt Dog being in this game, but I could see him being here to take up the IC torch.
Of course there may be (and likely is) multiple reasons Duck Hunt made it in, I'm just thinking of one that's possible.
I understand you're an avid DHD fan, but please don't take this topic too seriously.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
DH reminds me more of Snake than ICs, but even then he's pretty unique

noticus

Smash Cadet
absolutely
not because they thought, oh ****, ice climbers aren't in, we need a dummy character
i think they were probably planning on duck hunt being in anyway, but it inadvertently filled the gap for Ice Climbers
Ice Climbers couldn't work on the 3DS, so they needed another classic NES rep, and the next best choice is Duck Hunt

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Just you. Furthermore, what you have is a hypothesis not a theory.
Theories are not in any way "facts". I formed a hypothesis, but it became a theory after I supported it with some evidence. (the evidence doesn't "prove" anything, but it does deem my theory at least possible). A hypothesis is a guess based on basically no knowledge of the situation whatsoever.
And again, just because I made this theory doesn't mean I 100% believe this is the soul case Duck Hunt is in the game, heck they might just be in the game because it's the freakin' Duck Hunt Dog teamed with a duck and that's awesome. I just thought it would be an interesting and understandable possibility. Can't a guy ponder the possible reasons?
Of course, feel free to give some counter it with opposing evidence.

Last edited:

fill

20EggsEggs
I feel that the "bar napkin" idea was probably for Nintendogs. Remember this?

two things, villager should of had a horned hat and that nintendog being an item made me think of M2Ks comment/rant about nintendog during the demo play, "...who the hell wants nintendog as an item...", as its blocking his screen lol

Last edited:

slipnslide

Smash Rookie
You supported it with opinion tho D:. I don't think we can really test it using the scientific method, dude either wanted it to be the new ics or he didn't. My opinion is that DHD seemed like a fun idea and so he made another crazy new character.

D

Deleted member

No, I don't. I think the roster was planned to have them (and the Climbers) from the very beginning and due to difficulties with the 3DS handling the Ice Climbers, they were scrapped. Duck Hunt had nothing to do with it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Even though I think DHD did replace the Ice Climbers, I don't think he was responsible for their absence. There's a big, important difference.

Consideration and development for him probably only started after the ICs were already deemed currently impossible. They would have been gone anyway, there's no two ways around that, so I'm glad they thought of him to fill in the hole instead of leaving the roster short one character.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I don't think DHD replaced anyone. Sakurai added two retro characters to both Melee and Brawl: one cool classic character and one strange wildcard. DHD seems to be the latter character for SSB4, with Little Mac probably being the former (he had another game recently, but he's not been a recurring hero lately; Pac-Man could also be considered the classic character for SSB4).

Retro: Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac
Wildcard: Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Dog

So while both IC and DHD are quite old, I don't think they replaced each other, or were even really in for the same reason.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
No. Smash always has an obligatory retro character. It's about time Duck Hunt made it. I predict Excitebike for the next one. They'll make it happen.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Icees were in, they were just cut because they wouldn't work on 3DS. No one got "replaced".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom