• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So much Mega Man love in the VC. Do you think....

BigBossJelly

Smash Rookie
NNID
64supermario
3DS FC
0387-8778-1783
CAPCOM is leading up to a new Mega Man game on either platform? Honestly its probably just riding the Smash announcement train and getting as much profit from the reveal, but there is a little part of me that thinks a Mega Man game isn't too far off. I just recently got into the Network Battle series and to be honest, I love it! The only other one I'd played was the GCN one and I love that game as well...even though everyone else hates it.

Anyways, if there is a new Mega Man game what series would you want it to be and on what systems?

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Yes I do think another megaman game will be announced... but the real question is, Will it be cancelled. I seriously just hope nintendo buys capcom and makes megaman game them selves.
I think megaman legends 3 would sell a lot of wii U's

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
As much as I want another one I doubt it, especially with Mighty No.9 on the way too. I've recently got into Megaman myself and have the 6 NES titles and Battle Network downloaded.

Playing through Megaman V at the moment.

BigBossJelly

Smash Rookie
NNID
64supermario
3DS FC
0387-8778-1783
Yes I do think another megaman game will be announced... but the real question is, Will it be cancelled. I seriously just hope nintendo buys capcom and makes megaman game them selves.
I think megaman legends 3 would sell a lot of wii U's
Yeah I would love Megaman Legends 3 to come back in some shape or form. However I can see your plight, we had so many Megaman games announced and all got cancelled at some point in development. CAPCOM needs to just focus on one and put all their effort behind it like they do Monster Hunter.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
As much as I want another one I doubt it, especially with Mighty No.9 on the way too. I've recently got into Megaman myself and have the 6 NES titles and Battle Network downloaded.

Playing through Megaman V at the moment.

If you get a chance, please buy Mega Man X series as well. Love those games. I know Mega man 9 and 10 are not on Wii U VC but find those too. Pretty much all MM games are legend!

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I too have noticed the love for Mega Man o VC and a lil piece of me hopes it leads to Nintendo buying Mega Man from Capcom. If it's just to get last minute profit then I'll be bummed! Cmon Nintendo buy Mega Man! You know you wanna!

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Either Capcom needs to fix their **** and make a new Mega Man and not cancel it, or sell the IP to Nintendo and let them do it, since I'm sure they'd give him the love he deserves.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
CAPCOM is leading up to a new Mega Man game on either platform? Honestly its probably just riding the Smash announcement train and getting as much profit from the reveal, but there is a little part of me that thinks a Mega Man game isn't too far off. I just recently got into the Network Battle series and to be honest, I love it! The only other one I'd played was the GCN one and I love that game as well...even though everyone else hates it.

Anyways, if there is a new Mega Man game what series would you want it to be and on what systems?
It would be nice. I think we could have another Mega Man one day. Though I don't know what system it'll be on. Nintendo would be a good choice, since Nintendo and Capcom have always had a good connection with Mega Man.

I should get some of the Battle Network games. They seem fun. I'm not into RPGs, which says something if I actually want to try them.

But Capcom needs get their stuff together. Not just with Mega Man. :4megaman:

Dr_Falchion

Smash Cadet
Mega Man Prime, possibly?
The Mega Man shooter they had planned didn't really do it for me, based on the footage. We keep getting new Mega Mans - I'd love to see original Mega Man or Mega Man X star in a first person shooter in the vein of Metroid Prime. Or a third-person shooter in the vein of Metroid: Other M.

That said, I'd like to see a new Mega Man. As much as I want Battle Network or Legends, I think what Mega Man needs most now is a new iteration. Just keep more of a retro-aesthetic than they originally planned with the next-gen Mega Man games.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega Man Prime, possibly?
The Mega Man shooter they had planned didn't really do it for me, based on the footage. We keep getting new Mega Mans - I'd love to see original Mega Man or Mega Man X star in a first person shooter in the vein of Metroid Prime. Or a third-person shooter in the vein of Metroid: Other M.

That said, I'd like to see a new Mega Man. As much as I want Battle Network or Legends, I think what Mega Man needs most now is a new iteration. Just keep more of a retro-aesthetic than they originally planned with the next-gen Mega Man games.
That Mega Man was a redesigned Mega Man X, so I don't know if that counts as a new incarnation. And if we're honest, it was Alpha footage, there's plenty of time to fix the design. I liked it myself for what it was(a more serious looking Mega Man), but it could have been tweaked. Make the colors brighter and add a bit of bulk to his limbs, like the other Mega Men. Also a less robotic face.

I'd still prefer X9 to be made most of all. But a NEW Mega Man in a Platformer would be cool. Maybe it can be a 3-D Platformer too, since Classic, MMX and MMZX all suffice for a 2-D perspective, and those series could still continue if need be.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I don't trust Capcom anymore for many reasons but the main one is that they've been butchering all of their games in the past two years. Just when you think they can't make a game worse, they release another that is even worse. As for Mega Man, I'm guessing the execs hate Inafune far too much to even consider making a new Mega Man game now especially when you consider the fact that every Mega Man game they released that didn't have Inafune behind it did terribly.

Consider another thing though. Capcom has been having some financial trouble recently. They're pretty much open to be bought now. What if Nintendo bought Capcom?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Either Capcom needs to fix their **** and make a new Mega Man and not cancel it, or sell the IP to Nintendo and let them do it, since I'm sure they'd give him the love he deserves.
Nintendo wouldn't do a thing with Mega Man. Quite frankly, they don't care about him anymore either.
In other words, Rare's situation would basically repeat itself.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Nintendo wouldn't do a thing with Mega Man. Quite frankly, they don't care about him anymore either.
In other words, Rare's situation would basically repeat itself.
Don't jump to conclusions. Let's see the main reasons contributing to Rare's loss:

• A lot of the original staff had left
  • Nintendo owned around 49% of the stock, didn't renew it
  • Sold to Microsoft to ease investment losses
  • Mark of quality was starting to decline (e.g., StarFox Adventures)

What do we got with Capcom? Many consider Capcom to be a shadow of it's former-self. They've made some very questionable business tactics (on-disc DLC, milking franchises, creating franchise sales plan to warrant sequels). Some of their more recent games have had their original essence watered down to a point of providing horrendously-boring experience devoid of original gameplay (RE5-6) or alienating fans (DmC). The only thing they've done right so far is how they've handled Monster Hunter.

Why does the prospect of Nintendo buying Mega Man (or even Capcom) such a highly-lauded idea? There was a huge string of cancelled Mega Man projects revealed from this decade, the most critical of which being Mega Man Legends 3. The only official titles we've gotten thereafter were a couple of bad mobile games and a retooled fan project (Mega Man x Street Fighter). Sure, we have spiritual succesors like Mighty No. 9 and Azure Striker Gunvolt now. As much as I support those titles, they only cement the bittersweet limbo of the possibility of getting a true Mega Man sequel. Even Keiji Inafune said that he would like Capcom to develop Mighty No. 9 as a Mega Man game.

The only way Mega Man's legacy has managed to remain accessible these past two generations is through rerelease. Most of Mega Man's games were focused on Nintendo systems, so they're the easiest to emulate for the VC. Not to mention we recently got Mega Man Battle Network and Mega Man Zero back with the advent of GBA and DS VC on the Wii U. Today's the birthday of Mega Man, so Nintendo is putting an even bigger sale for the franchise in commemoration than they have ever before. And the icing on the cake of their treatment? Mega Man's decade-long hiatus ending with Super Smash Bros. 4!

tl;dr Nintendo's been the only company to keep Mega Man's interest alive and it's very stupid it's taking this long for Capcom to capitalize on it by making new games.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I don't know. I'd be glad to see the Blue Bomber back in action, but with Capcom being what they are, I think they'll just stick to Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Street Fighter. Like they always have. But I guess it's free to speculate.

...Can someone please give some love to the Star Force franchise? Please?
Starforce 4 would be cool. Unfortunately, Starforce didn't make as much money as Battle Network did. I don't see it happening as unless we get another platformer Mega Man game alongside with it. But I'd be down for the idea nonetheless.

D

Deleted member

I am a bit of a pessimist and I am going to view this as Nintendo showing their love for the character and profiting from Mega Man in Smash.
I am doubtful that the Blue Bomber has a future at this point with all of these cancellations. If there is a new game announced, I would be cautiously optimistic and hope the game won't get cancelled...

I guess we will have to wait and see. I will say that I would be a bit surprised if Capcom doesn't capitalize on this moment to revive Mega Man.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
The only new game I would like to see a release is Mega Man X9, I expect it to be released on the Playstation 3 and or 4 and PC.

There is quite a few games that needs revival before making new games:

Top Bottom