• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, Little Mac Is the fifth most used character is Wii U tournaments...

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Can any body who uses, or knows of somebody who uses Little Mac in tournaments tell a fellow Mac user how well he has fared in tournaments? (That goes for 3DS tournaments as well.)

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
He was used a lot in the early tournaments because of his incredible ground game and the novelty of the scene. But I noticed that less people use him now. It's just frustrating that you have a massive lead in damage and all that work was for nothing when your opponent got one good hit and you can't make it back to the stage.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
imo mac is in among the worst 5 characters in the game.

He is really cool though

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
imo mac is in among the worst 5 characters in the game.
No?

Like, you can't even think of 5 other characters that are more bland than him? He packs a punch... pun intended... that's gonna carry him at least half way up the cast out of sheer dumbness.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
TBH, I'm kind of toggling between 4 mains right now, and I really like Little Mac as a character. That said, I'm determined to play him as well as I possibly can competitively.

Last edited:

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
No?

Like, you can't even think of 5 other characters that are more bland than him? He packs a punch... pun intended... that's gonna carry him at least half way up the cast out of sheer dumbness.
I'm talking about play against competent opponents.

Mac realistically has almost no options.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm talking about play against competent opponents.

Mac realistically has almost no options.
I don't agree. Do you think certain characters hard counter him?

Otherwise competent players versus a competent Mac I think is a fair fight. I don't see anything unwinnable.

LittleFoxBot

Smash Rookie
Little Mac is my favorite and most played character. Using him in tournament has made me realize how bad he is and I've been forced to switch against certain characters. :4sheik::4diddy::4pit:

:4yoshi: is easy to deal with

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac definitely my favourite. He's definitely like PM Ike, where a lot of the skill comes from a basis of the game. So it makes sense that while everyone is completely dumb to it, Little Mac is really good, since you're on even ground.
Then while everyone's discovering stuff, Little Mac falls behind while slowly integrating that into his moveset.
In the future, LM will (I hope) definitely be a viable choice, as all/most of the mechanics will be found and integrated. Again, whoever plays him is definitely going to have to know data and AT more than their opponent, and it'll be an uphill battle, but in the current slightly new SSB4, LM will fall behind.

Little Mac 4evr.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree. Do you think certain characters hard counter him?

Otherwise competent players versus a competent Mac I think is a fair fight. I don't see anything unwinnable.
anyone with a decent throw, projectile, or normal range counters mac. The only way he can approach is to run up and he can't recover.

I don't think he has good matchups. He has terrible match ups and bad match ups and mediocre match ups

Alain

Smash Cadet
Yeah Little Mac is terrible, I really try to bring him the the best of his capabilities but he falls short. With that being said there is no better feeling then destroying a person who is good in this game with him. Nothing is more fun. Then they pick diddy kong and you die lol.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Alain said:
Yeah Little Mac is terrible, I really try to bring him the the best of his capabilities but he falls short. With that being said there is no better feeling then destroying a person who is good in this game with him. Nothing is more fun. Then they pick diddy kong and you die lol.
Not all the time. Playing For Glory today I was facing a good Sheik player while playing Little Mac. This person was pretty good, but they relied too much on a bum rush Sheik tactic, and they were using jabs and tilts too much. It was an uphill battle, but I showed them that you mustn't mess with a good Little Mac. Those punishing Smashes tho.

Last edited:

Beo

Smash Apprentice
Have patience when playing Little Mac. I find that most people treat him like Sonic or C Falcon and just run in and abuse super armor to rack up damage. You can't trade percents with Little Mac against almost any character, because at high percents all it takes is one Fsmash or one F/B Throw and you're dead. He has great speed and amazing ground mobility, use this to your advantage to poke out damage and win the long game.

Honestly, I find playing Little Mac pretty slow, because he's such a glass cannon. You have to spend so much time avoiding getting hit and find openings. When you see an opening, attack once or twice, then back off and look for another one. If you can roll and dodge well enough you'll KO them before they KO you thanks to your powerful smashes.

Have patience. I know Mac is fast and you want to keep up with Sonic, but at that point why not just play Sonic?

Obviously this brings in massive issues with characters like DHD, Pit, and Shiek, but hey, you can't win 'em all.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Sorry to go a little off topic but where did you find the data with the percentage of each character used? and how is the little mac ditto?

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to go a little off topic but where did you find the data with the percentage of each character used? and how is the little mac ditto?
What do you mean percentage of each character used? Most percentage data can be found on the stickied thread in the Little Mac subforum.
And the Mac ditto is odd. It goes to whoever is less predictable, not necessarily who's better.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
What do you mean percentage of each character used? Most percentage data can be found on the stickied thread in the Little Mac subforum.
And the Mac ditto is odd. It goes to whoever is less predictable, not necessarily who's better.
the title is that little mac is the 5th most used character in tourneys, where was the character usage found? and that would make for a weird ditto, do you get a rush from gimping another mac player or do you generally feel bad because you know the feels

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
the title is that little mac is the 5th most used character in tourneys, where was the character usage found? and that would make for a weird ditto, do you get a rush from gimping another mac player or do you generally feel bad because you know the feels
It's a somewhat sadistic pleasure. Like, being the victim of bullying your entire life, then you finally meet someone weaker than you. It's like "I shouldn't enjoy this. But I'm still going to laugh at you."
I, too, remember seeing somewhere the usage for each character on streamed tournaments. I couldn't find it either.

Last edited:

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
This game all about campity camp camp. Being a good approacher in this game is extremely hard, so lots of people just camp. I took up the philosophy of not approaching unless required too, play defensively. But at the same time when you play defensive don't be a rock and stand there, move around a bit.

Typically I only approach when enemies are projectile camping. If someone is camping you with projectiles and you're forced to approach go for a pressure strategy. Characters who typically are filled to the brim with projectiles like DHD and Samus I noticed they're typically not the best at taking pressure and at times I find enemies like these to be easier. Characters like Mario and Pikachu who have 1 projectiles and can handle up close combat a bit more you can't be as aggressive with your pressure strategy.

Stage wise go for omegas and avoid Smashville in my opinion. I literally remember a fighter who camp topped platform of Smashville and I honestly couldn't really approach that (my opponent was Shiek). And basically the pace of the battle was in his hands.

Move wise, whatever anyone tells you ALL MOVES ARE USABLE. His aerials may be made bad, but that shouldn't stop you from using them. His aerials are decent for gimping and mixing up your play style. So don't totally ignore them.

Finally learn all you can about mac, from AT's, to hitboxes to etc. Did you know his fair can hit tall enemies? I remember seeing a combo here on a Bowser that was:
Fair -> Dair the Enemy on Ground to Lock -> Any move you want (fsmash and ko punch recommended)

All and All just play defensively, approach only when needed, pick stages that favor you, and use all your resources.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Little mac is terrible if not played right. But if played right he does have a chance to win against a sheik or a Fox.When i play little mac in for glory mode, most players camp the edge, so they can grab me and throw me off stage. Don't fall for that trick because most little mac's do!

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Little mac is terrible if not played right. But if played right he does have a chance to win against a sheik or a Fox.
I agree. To be good as Little Mac, you need to be a master of the fundamentals in the game. Everything from spacing, zoning, rolls, baits, dodges and more. Though you won't have any fancy combo's or air game, those good old-fashioned one-two's will knock your lights out.

j3lly

Smash Cadet
This game all about campity camp camp. Being a good approacher in this game is extremely hard, so lots of people just camp.
I strongly disagree. Look at what some are considering to be the most viable characters in Smash: Diddy, Sheik, Yoshi, Fox, Sonic, RosaLuma, ZSS

None of them fit into a campy playstyle. In fact almost all of them are up there because they have fantastic and reliable approach options.

So far the rushdown characters are being used the most.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I strongly disagree. Look at what some are considering to be the most viable characters in Smash: Diddy, Sheik, Yoshi, Fox, Sonic, RosaLuma, ZSS

None of them fit into a campy playstyle. In fact almost all of them are up there because they have fantastic and reliable approach options.

So far the rushdown characters are being used the most.
Well I agree this game can be played with more aggression and approaching play styles. But looking at it I do think defensive play and camping is the more rewarding. It gives people more time to think and come up with optimal plans and punishes then if they were to approach. But I agree a more offensive plays tyle is possible, I myself have started playing a more approaching play style, by taking advantage of my speed and trying mind games. I think how the match plays out is kinda determined on the players. I feel like smash 4 matches can be extremely fast or slower then a snail. Looking forward I hope the matches people have are more fast paced.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Well I agree this game can be played with more aggression and approaching play styles. But looking at it I do think defensive play and camping is the more rewarding. It gives people more time to think and come up with optimal plans and punishes then if they were to approach. But I agree a more offensive plays tyle is possible, I myself have started playing a more approaching play style, by taking advantage of my speed and trying mind games. I think how the match plays out is kinda determined on the players. I feel like smash 4 matches can be extremely fast or slower then a snail. Looking forward I hope the matches people have are more fast paced.
Fast paced aggressive playstyles and characters work in this game, just because defensive and campy characters can also work in this game doesn't mean the entire game is like that.

True, for a lot of fights you need to slow it down a little(very apparent with Little Mac), and defensive characters have a chance in the game, but it's no where near as slow paced as Brawl.

Both playstyles have their place and individual rewards, although as it currently stands: playing aggressive(not hyper aggressive) is the most rewarding playstyle in this game.

Last edited:

Smob

Smash Rookie
NNID
ubergaming
3DS FC
2595-2362-0576
Last week I decided to play Mac as my main and I played Mac in a tournament last night and got 7th. I beat some good players and lost to better players in match-ups I had no experience in. I'm going to stick with him as my tournament character for a while to see how far I can take him, honestly I think Little Mac is a very viable character in a tournament setting.

Here's the tournament results, there was another mac player who got 9th I think:
(can't post the link, look up GetSmashed_1 on challonge if you want to see it)

As a side note, in my losers semis match I heard a lot of people ******** about little mac while I was playing :(

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
anyone with a decent throw, projectile, or normal range counters mac. The only way he can approach is to run up and he can't recover.

I don't think he has good matchups. He has terrible match ups and bad match ups and mediocre match ups
Shielding, spot dodging, or dodge rolling at the right times can get you past many projectiles. With my Mac, I tend to approach carefully instead of just "running up", then catch the opponent with a punish if they whiff an attempted attack or grab. Alternately, I've been having fun recently with fox-trotting with Little Mac. A good fox trot leaves you with just about the same speed as his normal max speed run, but gives you the delicious ability to dodge roll behind an opponent at a moments notice, and then punish whatever they just tried to do with a side smash/tilt/whatever you want.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
This, absolutely this
Not quite. The approach statement could be said of nearly any character on the roster, and still be as valid. However, LM doesn't have to/shouldn't approach anyone besides spacies. People mistake a good roll and high speed for being an aggressive approacher. However, LM shouldn't be getting grabbed often, his Ftilts and Fsmash have great range, and are incredibly useful, and he can even run under some projectiles. LM can approach even spacies well, to the point where I think it's an advantageous matchup against DHD. LM has a great approach from the air (Fair -> Dair jablock).
Play like a boxer, and LM is just 2gud.

Shielding, spot dodging, or dodge rolling at the right times can get you past many projectiles. With my Mac, I tend to approach carefully instead of just "running up", then catch the opponent with a punish if they whiff an attempted attack or grab. Alternately, I've been having fun recently with fox-trotting with Little Mac. A good fox trot leaves you with just about the same speed as his normal max speed run, but gives you the delicious ability to dodge roll behind an opponent at a moments notice, and then punish whatever they just tried to do with a side smash/tilt/whatever you want.
You can dodge directly from run, not from dash. By holding continuing to hold forward and shielding, you can shield instantly. From there, just tap a direction to seemingly dodge directly.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
You can dodge directly from run, not from dash. By holding continuing to hold forward and shielding, you can shield instantly. From there, just tap a direction to seemingly dodge directly.
Pray tell, what is the difference between a dash and a run? I found that with a straight up run, I usually have to stop before I can dodge roll, and if I shied, the opponent usually has time to escape form me and/or setup. With a fox trot, it seems like my run-to-dodge roll works swimmingly and near instantaneously.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Pray tell, what is the difference between a dash and a run? I found that with a straight up run, I usually have to stop before I can dodge roll, and if I shied, the opponent usually has time to escape form me and/or setup. With a fox trot, it seems like my run-to-dodge roll works swimmingly and near instantaneously.
Dash is the initial run animation where that you can't act out of. In previous games, it's the time you had to pivot in order to dash dance. Like I said, hold forward while running into shield to be able to shield directly from run. I think from dash too, dunno. Test it. It's counter intuitive, so despite being very easy, I sometimes forget to hold forward.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I know how to shield from a run; I was merely talking about dodge rolling. I will test it though, to be sure.

For an instant dodge roll from a run, fox-trotting is your friend.

Last edited:

Spudman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevets_Spud
I used to approach via dashing, but now I try to approach with his max walk speed, and PURSUE after getting a large hit via foxtrot, but I'll use dash here and there to keep my opponent on their toes, I just hate getting accidental dash attack sometimes. Need to scrub less >_<

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
*sigh*
Just because someone popular is winning in For Glory, doesn't mean that's how you play the character. I mean, the big reason that people cried "LM OP!" at first was because scrubs could win consistently on For Glory, and Zero was barely winning! I don't even have something comical to say about the lag. You could physically see the opponents lag at least a hundred ms at all times. Dash attack to approach is not your only, and sometimes not even your best option. He was even missing attacks during their air dodge land. WTF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom