• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So is this practical?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
This is disgusting.

So he hits them with a z drop MB into footstool?

Picks up the MB on the first lemon for the jab lock then repeats?

I need to get this down

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
when you're z dropping metal blade, do you time it as you're ascending the apex of short hop? do you have enough frames to drop it at the apex of short hop?

is there a guide to doing this e_e

Drippy

Smash Ace
Damn that was awesome, I'm going to need to try that in training mode. Also CB -> Up Throw is pretty cool...

glenn

Smash Cadet
Wow. That was a beautiful video. The zdrop-pellet-regrab combos are really impressive. I think my favorite kill was Falco on Luigi's Mansion... that snipe.

The air shooter combos off the top on Ness were nice too. I've never thought to invalidate my opponents arials by zdropping. You can tell Ness was trying to attack, but instead he picked up a metal blade. I think this is a decent way to cover options. Even if Ness airdodged he would have grabbed the metal blade which prevents him from using any of his aerials.

Really cool stuff. Gonna try some of those setups at home tonight.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I've been trying to do the sick Z drop one in the lab. It's amazingly difficult, at least for me. As for practicality, I don't see this as being dependable in a tourney. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, though!

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
It looks like to me that the opponent would have to make a pretty critical error to be caught in this situation in the first place. Looks really cool though.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Holy guacamole con queso y cereal! That was MLG as **** LOL! You make the infinite look so easy and I've always known you could get a footstool from a respawned metal blade, but I wasn't able to successfully get as far as you did OP. I mean ************************!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think you can z drop it from the apex of short hop or on the descent from a full hop. I don't think the MB knnockback is very much so you have to be very close to get the footstool.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I tried this in training for a few mins and it is really tough to hit skinny opponents like sheik. If you hit them on the wrong side they fly the wrong way. seems easier on the fatties. Would take some serious practice and technical skill to be consistent with thiS

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
It looks like to me that the opponent would have to make a pretty critical error to be caught in this situation in the first place. Looks really cool though.
I don't agree with that at all. You can punish a roll-behind or a spotdodge with the z-drop, and that's all you need to start the combo. The falling metal blade is a persistent hitbox, so I bet you could punish neutral getup as well.

The leaf shield starter in the video is also great - super easy to avoid, but avoiding means giving up stage control to Mega Man, which is great for us.

when you're z dropping metal blade, do you time it as you're ascending the apex of short hop? do you have enough frames to drop it at the apex of short hop?

is there a guide to doing this e_e
I only practiced on short characters (luck of the draw in training mode), but I found that dropping on the way down from the short hop is most effective. Because Mega Man drops the metal blade way above him, and it starts with 0 velocity, you have tons of time to jump up and catch the metal blade if you drop it just before you hit the ground.

Practice just dropping the metal blade and catching it again to get started. The eventual rhythm ends up being grab->jump->grab->jump->grab in quick succession. After that, it's just knowing where to be for the next footstool based on %.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I don't agree with that at all. You can punish a roll-behind or a spotdodge with the z-drop, and that's all you need to start the combo. The falling metal blade is a persistent hitbox, so I bet you could punish neutral getup as well.
Those are the "critical errors" that I was referring to.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I can't even take that seriously. Neutral getup is a "critical error"? Never spotdodge or roll behind someone? Give me a break...
There is no need to get hostile over a difference of opinion. If you don't want to debate it, then I'll just agree with you and be done with it. Here, have a "Like".

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Holy ****! That must've taken a huge amount of training to do all that crazy **** right there especially that "Beat Lock" combo. I laughed my ass off at that "Super Bob trick" too, KOing Ness at only 2%. Nice.

I'm gonna have a field day with this in Training Mode when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Effdee

Smash Rookie
The footstool into z drop setup doesn't work on every character. Some characters flat out don't get hit by the metal blade because of Megaman being wider than some characters, or some characters are able to shield after you footstool them, even if you z drop the metal blade as early as possible

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The footstool into z drop setup doesn't work on every character. Some characters flat out don't get hit by the metal blade because of Megaman being wider than some characters, or some characters are able to shield after you footstool them, even if you z drop the metal blade as early as possible
And some characters fall too fast to jablock them even after a footstool>z-drop>footstool (Sheik).

Optimized against those characters is footstool>z-drop>footstool>FFBAir lock > Fsmash. I don't think you have enough time to run and grab/dash attack/Usmash because BAir pushes them too far away.

I messed around with this, but making a character specific % guide for footstool>zdrop combos would be a project that someone could pick up. Until then, you're just kinda "hoping" it will work.

Edit: Also, I've never gotten the FH MB>jump/pickup>footstool>z-drop to combo. Guessing they have to be at a high enough % for the FH MB to combo into the footstool... but eh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom