• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So is it "Duck Hunt" or "Duck Hunt Duo"?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm so confused, I keep getting this as a theory:

Japan and America get Duck Hunt while Europe gets Duck Hunt Duo

Everyone else but America gets Duck Hunt

Only Japan Gets Duck Hunt

Duck Hunt Duo is the PAL name

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's "Duck Hunt" in North America and Japan, and "Duck Hunt Duo" in Europe and Australia.

If there's anything Nintendo of Europe loves, it's arbitrary changes in terminology with no real reason that make online play with international friends a mess of confusion. Second only to their love of terrible English voice acting.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
If there's anything Nintendo of Europe loves, it's arbitrary changes in terminology with no real reason that make online play with international friends a mess of confusion. Second only to their love of terrible English voice acting.
I still don't get why they renamed Rosalina into "Harmonie" and Robin into "Daraen" in french. Morgan is also named "Linfan" for some reason in FE:A.
There's also Dedede becoming Dadidou.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I still don't get why they renamed Rosalina into "Harmonie" and Robin into "Daraen" in french. Morgan is also named "Linfan" for some reason in FE:A.
There's also Dedede becoming Dadidou.
I dunno, why did America rename Rockman into "Mega Man", or Purin into "Jigglypuff"? Reflet is also called "Robin" for some reason in FE:A.

Everyone does arbitrary name changes, don't just point at Europe when it happens everywhere.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is both. The only thing it ins't is Duck Hunt Dog :p

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I dunno, why did America rename Rockman into "Mega Man", or Purin into "Jigglypuff"? Reflet is also called "Robin" for some reason in FE:A.

Everyone does arbitrary name changes, don't just point at Europe when it happens everywhere.
Almost every Pokemon gets a new name if the original name doesn't make sense outside of japan. Greninja is Gekkouga in Japan, Charizard is Lizardon, etc. The Rockman/Mega Man thing is understandable too, in Japan it's obviously referring to the music genre because they have their own word for rocks, but in English speaking countries it implies he attacks with rocks or something and also Mega Man is an easier name to market. The Reflet/Robin thing bugs me too, I really like the name Reflet.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Almost every Pokemon gets a new name if the original name doesn't make sense outside of japan. Greninja is Gekkouga in Japan, Charizard is Lizardon, etc. The Rockman/Mega Man thing is understandable too, in Japan it's obviously referring to the music genre because they have their own word for rocks, but in English speaking countries it implies he attacks with rocks or something and also Mega Man is an easier name to market. The Reflet/Robin thing bugs me too, I really like the name Reflet.
Pretty much this. The Reflet/Robin stuff makes sense though, reflet is literally "reflection" in french (and is one letter close to reflect), Robin feels far more natural and I guess is similar enough. The Robin/Daraen and Morgan/Linfan thing doesn't make sense as Robin and Morgane are widely used in french, whereas Daraen/Linfan are completely alien.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I'm so glad the name is Duck Hunt in America. "Duck Hunt Dog/Duo" doesn't do the character justice, IMO.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Duck Hunt Dog should have been the English name even though it's not just the dog.

Speculator

Smash Ace

I don't so much take issue with names changing between languages. That very rarely causes an issue. My problem is with changes between English language versions of the game. I'm European and a native British English speaker. In spite of that I wholly accept American English as the international standard and am more than capable of understanding it. Accents and names and terminology changing between same-language versions of a game is wholly and totally unnecessary and suggests to me that Nintendo of Europe is completely out of touch with how people communicate in the modern age.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
lol it's duck hunt

i saw people asking this for a week

ive had the US version of the game since september 25th

and had to keep quiet about his name cause i was under NDA

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Anything but duck hunt dog. That's like calling marth, Marth human.
As I recall the "Duck Hunt" isn't a species or a dog breed.
It's the dog from Duck Hunt, so the "Duck Hunt" is used as an adjective, like you would say "American Dog".
You can't really say it's like the Ice Climbers either, while they were named after their game in japanese as well, it isn't the case for the rest of the world where they wanted a proper name, and Ice Climbers works just as well as Popo & Nana without it being too different.
However the dog isn't alone, and you can't make Duck Hunt plural, so the "Duck Hunt Duo" makes the most sense.
Besides Popo & Nana are each an ice climber whereas the dog and duck aren't a "duck hunt". They're the duo from Duck Hunt.

wingo

Smash Apprentice
As I recall the "Duck Hunt" isn't a species or a dog breed.
It's the dog from Duck Hunt, so the "Duck Hunt" is used as an adjective, like you would say "American Dog".
You can't really say it's like the Ice Climbers either, while they were named after their game in japanese as well, it isn't the case for the rest of the world where they wanted a proper name, and Ice Climbers works just as well as Popo & Nana without it being too different.
However the dog isn't alone, and you can't make Duck Hunt plural, so the "Duck Hunt Duo" makes the most sense.
Besides Popo & Nana are each an ice climber whereas the dog and duck aren't a "duck hunt". They're the duo from Duck Hunt.
Duck hunt is the name of the fighter, silly.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Duck hunt is the name of the fighter, silly.
I just explained in the post you quoted why using the name of their game as their fighter name isn't valid outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Pretty sure it says duck hunt.
Uh, yes ? We're discussing what makes the most sense here with the Ice Climbers as precedent.
To take your previous example that would be like calling Marth "Fire Emblem". Or calling Mr. Game & Watch "Game & Watch" only.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Which, on its own, is a stupid name for a "fighter!"

It should have been,"Zapper."
But then we would still be arguing over who is Zapper... is it the dog's name? is it the duck's name?

Europe is doing it right by calling them the Duck Hunt Duo. It makes more sense linguistically. "Duck Hunt" works well as an adjective for the dog & duck team just like "Toon" and "Zero Suit" work well as adjectives for the cartoon Link and the suitless Samus respectively.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
But then we would still be arguing over who is Zapper... is it the dog's name? is it the duck's name?

Europe is doing it right by calling them the Duck Hunt Duo. It makes more sense linguistically. "Duck Hunt" works well as an adjective for the dog & duck team just like "Toon" and "Zero Suit" work well as adjectives for the cartoon Link and the suitless Samus respectively.
But it's not just the dog & and the duck. There's also the unseen hunter, the wild gunmen, & the Hogan's Alley boards.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But it's not just the dog & and the duck. There's also the unseen hunter, the wild gunmen, & the Hogan's Alley boards.
Yeah... you are right... other fighters should be named accordingly... Peach & Toad should be the proper fighter name... oh, and Zelda & Phantom, King Dedede & Gordo, Robin & Chrom, Shulk & Friends... you know... like Rosalina & Luma and Pikmin & Olimar. :troll:

As a matter of fact, Duck Hunt is the wrong name because the fighter isn't just the dog, the duck, and the hunter... you have Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley... therefore the fighter should be named Zapper. :troll:

Pac-Man is the wrong name... it should be Namco Museum because the fighter uses stuff from other Namco arcade games. Mega Man is also the wrong name... it should be Mega Men. :troll:

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I actually liked Duck Hunt Duo alot better. Alas...

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's Duck Hunt Duo here in Europe.

I like the name. It reinforces the fact that it's not just the dog and means I can keep calling them DHD.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
you're all wrong, it's duck hunt trio. who do you think is shooting the cans and clay pigeons, and performing those gunshot smash attacks?

it's duck hunt hunter: the first smash bros character to fight from beyond the fourth wall.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice

Someone else explained the Rockman change but to add on to it, it was the 80's so "mega" was just a cool word the hip kids were using at the time.
How is Purin a weird change? WTF does Purin mean in English? A character that jiggles and puffs up makes more sense to be called Jigglypuff in that language.
How many Americans are named Reflet?

EU is notorious for game changes, the only time it really happens in the US is when people are afraid of getting sued. Like when they switched Bison/Balrog because of Mike Tyson or Resident Evil because of the band Biohazard and a bunch of names in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (which for two of the characters they just switched their names which make no sense).

Duck Hunt Duo is stupid. The duck is named Duck and the dog is named Hunt, they form the team Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom