• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I plan on playing a little bit of 64 at Super Smash Con.

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
I play Luigi in Brawl, Melee, and Project M. In fact, when I go to Super Smash Con, I plan on dressing up as him. I have good experience with him across all of those games, and rather enjoy his play style and quirkiness.

However, I haven't played 64 a loooooong time. I don't even have it with me anymore. I plan on getting re-acquainted with the original smash bros game, though, and plan on competing. I'll probably fall on my face the first round. I'm not really planning on playing it after the con, though.

So what I'm going to ask you all: what is your advice on this? Should I play Luigi, my favorite character? Would I just get frustrated? Is there a guide I should read? Maybe I will need to watch Isai or some specific players play Luigi, analyzing how they use him, and study how to play Luigi effectively? Is there any tech I should know of?

Thanks for any input you all put into this question. Have a good day!

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
You can't dress up as him and not play as him, of course you should play as him.
You should definitely practice before con, practice online if you can. Get used to his recovery in this game and get simple combos down such as up air chains to either up B or down B

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
Luigi is pretty bad. You need to z cancel, get very familiar with his aerials, and abuse his up b in order to stand a chance in 64.

Useful threads:
http://smashboards.com/threads/updated-and-organized-character-guide.391310/
http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-discussion.288182/
These threads are really insightful, and, as a player of other smash bros games, I can understand them pretty well. My only question is the whole thing about fireballs on shield. Does it have to do with the shields in 64 being crap?

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
These threads are really insightful, and, as a player of other smash bros games, I can understand them pretty well. My only question is the whole thing about fireballs on shield. Does it have to do with the shields in 64 being crap?
Yes, shieldstun is pretty huge in this game. So an opponent shielding a fireball usually gives enough time for Luigi to cover the space between him and opponent and get a grab. Rolling is also pretty bad in this game. In general, this is a very offensive game (this being part of the reason why Luigi isn't considered very good).

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
Yes, shieldstun is pretty huge in this game. So an opponent shielding a fireball usually gives enough time for Luigi to cover the space between him and opponent and get a grab. Rolling is also pretty bad in this game. In general, this is a very offensive game (this being part of the reason why Luigi isn't considered very good).
And so, from that grab, I could downthrow them, and from there, I have multiple choices, including Dair, Fair, down b or up b, with upairs in-between the grab and the finishing bow of my choice! Am I starting to catch on?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
There is only forward throw and back throw. Down and up throw weren't introduced until Melee, along with many other mechanics.

Edit: Luigi's dair is a drill in this game... so it's used mid-combo

Last edited:

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
There is only forward throw and back throw. Down and up throw weren't introduced until Melee, along with many other mechanics.

Edit: Luigi's dair is a drill in this game... so it's used mid-combo
Ah. I guess I've still got to learn a lot about this game, I guess. I just watched the videos under Luigi under @ Saltsizzle Saltsizzle 's post, though, and I'm seeing how effective he is at ledge guarding with his fireballs.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Yes they are ''crap'' unlike smash 4 no hitstun shields.
basically luigi's bread and butter is dair into sweetspot up B or upair into sweetspot up B combos\
not like luigi in other games

so even though your dressing as him i do recommend another character to play like captain falcon which is good for begginers and is sort-of like luigi as he is now

Last edited:
Top Bottom