• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I got my ass handed to me....(Noob seeking advice).

houselobos

Smash Rookie
And I'm wondering what is the next step.

I 1v1'd a Samus and got destroyed by projectiles (rockets mostly then charged shots). l bought the game a few months back and now I'm actively trying to improve. I plan on going to weeklys and getting my ass handed to me again and again and again. However, I want to have a strategy on how I can improve. I saw the Fox guide on here so that is an obvious read but what else? How are you guys training and improving your skill set?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Watch videos of good players and of yourself. Try to see what options the good players take at first and just observe the notice those. Then as you get better at recognizing things, try to see the multitude of options they have available in situations. Apply that knowledge to your own videos. When you have specific questions, ask someone knowledgeable (asking just anyone is risky since people may give answers without actually knowing the answer).

Most important thing is to be able to make some sort of mental framework that *you* understand Smash through. If you can break it down in ways that make sense to you, you can solve your own problems.

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Well if you got your asterisks handed to you by a samus spamming projectiles, you probably don't have great techskill. If you can get close to samus her life gets very hard. Being far away from her isn't the best idea. Without techskill, fox is just a character who can run very quickly into being combo'd forever. You need to work on movement and punishes.
I suggest getting good at the triangle of tech, shffl, wavedash, dash dance. These three techniques are the base of the pyramid of tech in smash. Everything is built on those. You should be able to make it from ledge to ledge on each stage without leaving your initial dash animation. You should be able to wavedash every time. You should be able to shffl nairs back and forth, changing direction at will. Just these skills alone will make you much more formidable. It should only take a few weeks starting from nowhere.
If you already can do these techniques, you should learn the drillshine grab/usmash. At first you'll always want to usmash, since it's a smash attack. But often a grab is safer and actually leads to more percent. And you should only be trying to waveshine characters with high friction and don't fall down like ganon, link, peach.
Also don't get stuck practicing that drillshine shield pressure stuff from 2010 because people know how to get out now.
If you can already do that, waveland. Waveland waveland waveland. And always fastfall while you're in the air.

This is the stuff you need just to survive as fox.

Samus is a weird matchup, but fox can do it. Just remember you can't really shine spike samus, so focus more on building percent and killing off the top. She's heavy, but floaty. So she still dies to usmash in a jiffy. uthrow doesn't seem like it gives much, but you have complete control over her positioning if you just jump up there. She'll have to run from you - she fears the uair. When she land, or if she throws out a desperate aerial, hit her.
Also it takes a bit of time for her to shoot projectiles, except charged b, ill get back to that. So since missles take forever to come out, if you're close to her she can't shoot you with missles cuz they're too slow ( as long as you attack ever ). And if she's got a charge b it's because you were dead, or you let her charge it. Don't let her charge it. Stay close to samus, you don't camp her.
Also you can just nair missles, so don't be lasering and then get hit by a missle, if you're lasering and a missle comes, shffl a nair into it.

The last thing I have to say about this matchup is watchout for cc downsmash. When you nair samus she will hold down on the control stick and spam down on the c stick and you will get downsmashed unless you wait to nair until super late, or you don't nair at all and just run up grab. :)

PS. Samus' grab is really slow, so it's not safe. Shield is your friend in this matchup for that reason. That doesn't mean spam shield, it means that you can hold it a half a second longer than other matchups, which is a lot. and you can do it more often. Make sure you can wavedash out of shield also.

Ok ok, I'm done. I hope you work on some of this.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
In addition to what's above, Samus can be waveshined. Waveshine her into utilt or usmash to get her above you or KO. Waveshine to grab can also be good, but isn't as reliable for setting up a KO or for comboing.

In general, you can shield more in this MU than a low of others, and should watch out for CC a bit more than others, so low aerial -> immediate shield can work well. If your wavedashes out of shield are good enough, you can punish even perfectly spaced Samus tilts with shine, or if they're mis-spaced or you hold in, you can just upsmash OoS.

Shield DI out and usmash to deal with any and all jab pressure, if done superbly, this covers everything. If they aren't going for the second hit jab, which they probably aren't you can absolutely usmash jab OoS. If they hit with either hit of jab as one of the most recent attacks to connect, then you can always grab if they're close enough.

There's only a few things to worry about shielding if you can act out quickly, and those are bombs, which require Samus to be very close to use; grab, which is slow; projectile setups, which if you stay decently close, Samus doesn't have room or time for; and low aerials, which pretty much require a setup themselves since Samus is super floaty and has very high jumps.

Utilt is amazing vs. Samus.

If you have any reason to believe Samus won't or can't CC at a given moment, jab-usmash becomes ridiculously, stupidly overpowered. As soon as she CCs, jab becomes trash.

Arctic_

Smash Rookie
don't try to upthrow up air her it doesn't work

don't try to edgeguard her either cause that doesnt work.

i like to sheild pressure he just outside of like her danger range of her up b..

the up b is gunna beat all ur shield pressure if ur not gud so just like space nairs and ftilts on shield to try to bait a reaction, you can usually reactively jump over her grab oos cause it's so slow rofl so she has to like nair oos and if you spaced it propeprly you're not in the danger zone so you can probably just jump over and drillshine upsmash.

stop getting hit by missiles like a ***** and use l and r

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
don't try to upthrow up air her it doesn't work.
That doesn't mean don't uthrow, it means the uthrow uair isn't guaranteed. Still uthrow - unless you REALLY like to dthrow tech chase for some reason. :p

Top Bottom