• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I broke my Wii

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I downloaded P:M and played it or about a month. I had a lot of problems launching the game (used a 3ds backwards compatible SD card, now I know you're not supposed to use those.) After I tried to download 2.6b, I was unable to even launch Brawl. Is this a problem with the copy, or do I need to erase my brawl data or buy a new Wii? I can't even play Brawl so there's no way to launch P:M. Any advice is appreciated

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
When you attempt to launch vBrawl (no hacks, no SD card, just the disc and the wii menu), what happens? Is the disc read? Does it freeze/crash after a certain point (after intro, trying to start a match, immediately)? The differences in this will determine exactly what the problem is. Make sure when you boot up the Wii, that the SD card is not in it. Keep it out until you can confirm that brawl works or doesn't work.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't show up on the home page
Do other Wii/Gamecube games work fine?
Is your Brawl disc in good condition?
Have you tried any of the following games and had similar problems?
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Metroid Other M
  • Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
  • Samurai Warriors 3
  • Raving Rabbids Collection
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • The Last Story
  • Samurai Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends
If the answer is yes, then your Wii is one of many that has trouble reading dual layer discs. You can try the disc drive cleaning kit, sending it to Nintendo for repairs, swapping the drive from a broken Wii, buying another Wii, or setting up homebrew and USB loading.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any of those games so I wouldn't know, but Brawl worked fine up until this happened

$heen

Smash Ace
That sounds like either a problem with your laser or your disc. If you don't see any noticeable scratches on the disc, then you've probably got a faulty laser. See if it can read other games at all.
If it can't, your options are:
-open the wii and clean the laser (not guaranteed to work)
-replace disc drive (which will probably fix it)
-buy a new wii/wii-u
-load through USB

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I know it's a problem with my Wii because I bought a new disc and it still doesn't work well. If a reset the console enough or take the disc out and put it back in, it will work sometime (it did last night.) It can run other Wii and GameCube games fine though

$heen

Smash Ace
The fact that it works sometimes and not others sounds like a problem with your wii reading dual layered discs. I would say the best thing to do would be to open it up and clean the laser. Unfortunately, it requires a tri-wing screwdriver and will void the warranty (which is probably expired anyway). It will also take quite a bit of time if you haven't dismantled game consoles before so it's your call.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I've had the same problem before OP in my old near release white Wii.
That Wii is now my Hacked Wii that I "buy" games from the online shop.

Wii's are like what, 50 dollars now?
Just buy a new one, or do what that ^^ user said.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
You can use USB Loaders. Basically, with a certain tool to be loaded in the wii you can dump your Brawl disc to a hdd connected to the wii, and load that instead of the disc afterwards. Still, if your current wii doesn't read Brawl well, you'll need another wii to dump the disc, and the homebrew channel or any other way to load homebrew that's not the one that needs Brawl to work.

Top Bottom