• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how does one escape Zelda's Fsmash effectively?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I personally don't see a problem with this move being too escapable. Well not to the extent of Melee anyway.

In Brawl, the DI is noticable on things like Smart bombs, but for some reason I can never actually DI OUT of them, just over to the very edge.

With Zelda's Fsmash, it's the same. I usually get my character over to the edge of the move and it still hits.

Is it really such a problem for Zelda's fsmash to be escapable? It seems to be very hard to do consistently. Even for the computer players.

Rion Prower

Smash Cadet
I personally don't see a problem with this move being too escapable. Well not to the extent of Melee anyway.

In Brawl, the DI is noticable on things like Smart bombs, but for some reason I can never actually DI OUT of them, just over to the very edge.

With Zelda's Fsmash, it's the same. I usually get my character over to the edge of the move and it still hits.

Is it really such a problem for Zelda's fsmash to be escapable? It seems to be very hard to do consistently. Even for the computer players.
Not to sound too ungrateful for all of her buffs and all but...

Why should FSmash, one of the most common ways to KO anyone, be escapable? I mean, with something like Marth's or Lucas' FSmash (Even Peach's!), for example, there is no "escaping" it once you've gotten hit. It's hit, boom, end of story! No 2nd guesses or arguments.

But then with something like Zelda's FSmash, where you can actually escape from being sent -anywhere- even after you've gotten hit by the initial start up, that's a little ridiculous. When you gotta pray for an FSmash to hit properly, or have it only work sometimes, some thing's gotta be wrong...

It's really just a matter of consistency. You shouldn't have to "hope" that FSmash does what it's supposed to do. They did it fine in Melee 1.0. (right?), so what's so hard about getting it right now? ><; Hell, even now, people are trying to figure out how to escape her USmash. Though I'm pretty sure people have figured that out already by now...

And of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nuoFfza2w <=

Zelda's FSmash was escaped 8 out of 11 times. That's 72% chance to FAIL and get punished.

That is just... ********. :(

Iris

Smash Ace
It's escapable if it's predictable. I mean, if you hit at the core of the hand on a grounded opponent, particularly a large one, it should follow through unless it's the only move you're using and they're standing still, waiting for it. Simply hold up with your control stick as soon as it begins. I don't think even the best players are quick enough to DI out of it when it's unexpected.

Besides, it has huge damage, good knockback, and can destroy dodges. It's not like it's useless since it's escapable.

Anyways, that video is BS. Of course it's escapable at 999% because the initial hits do too much knockback. Let's see how escapable it is at 120%.

S2

Smash Lord
Think of the F-smash like a sweetspot (although its not).

First, DIing out of it is hard. Its possible, but not super easy. The CPU is like how Melee's CPU powershielded literally everything. A human player isn't going to do that, even the best players make mistakes.

Second, you can only DI safely if you get hit with the outer edges of it. If you're really close into Zelda you're toast. That's why I said think of it like a sweetspot. Hitting with the inner part of the magic gets the kill. The range on a guranteed (no DI) kill isn't any worse than other character's f-smashes.

If you watch the video, Zelda wasn't left open at the end. In a real match she would have either followed up with something or escaped.

The escaping is possible. But (at least at this point in Brawl's metagame) its not like its easy for opponents to simply escape from it.

We'll see. Its definitely a weakness.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
smash DI diagonally upward and toward the closest edge repeatedly, youll pop out of the explosion in a direction tangent to the circle of the explosion. often you land back in the explosion, but youll be right on the edge and can smash DI out immeadiately again. after a couple times youll be completely out, and often you can time it so you pop out right before the final hit that launches people.

also, i was just messing around in training mode with zelda and bowser, and i could easily escape zeldas fsmash with bowser by smash DIing up and away, no matter how close bowser was when it initially hit. the only exception was when the bowser was in the air before the fsmash, in which case the first hit seemed to pull bowser in very close to the fsmash, and i couldnt DI out quickly enough to escape.

does anyone know how to DI to escape the upsmash?

Top Bottom