• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... how do you beat Little Mac?

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
Since, ya know, he can fricken sprint across the whole stage in a second and can 1-hit you once he reaches around 60% with the uppercut thing. And his attacks are generally fairly strong

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Im actually trying to find the answer too, sure he's much worse now than in 1.0.3, but god damn, his smashes are too powerful and are easy to land, not to mention its pretty hard to get him offstage far enough since even if you try and fake a gimp so he can use counter, most of them know they can just side-b back on stage and know you're faking a gimp.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
His smashes are only easy because if you try to challenge them they'll beat you out. you will not have success by going up to him within smash and ftilt/dtilt range, so your best bet is to look for opportunities to hit or grab him between those attacks. once you have him in a situation like that he is generally easy to juggle or read where he will fall. once he gets ko punch you can wait 7 seconds for it to be able to be hit out of him or punish the aggression that some macs will go for in that situation. don't do predictable things like shieldroll or airdodge into the ground and don't let him set it up (jab > ko for example)

also contrary to popular belief sitting at the ledge and trying to grab him is a bad strategy. he can make it back until decent percents anyways and you're giving him opportunities to smack you off the stage and read your recoveries. being between the ledge and mac is a compromising position and your options are limited.

in terms of recovery it's a game of rock paper scissors, but remember that he has to do something to get back and can't rely on multiple jumps or ledgesnapping recoveries like other characters. in some cases he has to rely on you attacking him so that he can counter to recover...just don't give him that opportunity, and be wary of his options. If they can make it back by simply jumping you should not be going off the stage and trying to gimp usually, it's safer to punish their landing imo since just standing there is a threat to mac. If he airdodges or counters or even attacks preemptively that's your opening. haymaker to recover is slow and doesn't have much range and can be beaten. while upb'ing he can be hit out of it very easily since he doesn't snap to the ledge.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
His smashes are only easy because if you try to challenge them they'll beat you out. you will not have success by going up to him within smash and ftilt/dtilt range, so your best bet is to look for opportunities to hit or grab him between those attacks. once you have him in a situation like that he is generally easy to juggle or read where he will fall. once he gets ko punch you can wait 7 seconds for it to be able to be hit out of him or punish the aggression that some macs will go for in that situation. don't do predictable things like shieldroll or airdodge into the ground and don't let him set it up (jab > ko for example)

also contrary to popular belief sitting at the ledge and trying to grab him is a bad strategy. he can make it back until decent percents anyways and you're giving him opportunities to smack you off the stage and read your recoveries. being between the ledge and mac is a compromising position and your options are limited.

in terms of recovery it's a game of rock paper scissors, but remember that he has to do something to get back and can't rely on multiple jumps or ledgesnapping recoveries like other characters. in some cases he has to rely on you attacking him so that he can counter to recover...just don't give him that opportunity, and be wary of his options. If they can make it back by simply jumping you should not be going off the stage and trying to gimp usually, it's safer to punish their landing imo since just standing there is a threat to mac. If he airdodges or counters or even attacks preemptively that's your opening. haymaker to recover is slow and doesn't have much range and can be beaten. while upb'ing he can be hit out of it very easily since he doesn't snap to the ledge.
All of this. Also, just to add a little, remember shield grabs. Many Little Mac's rely on overwhelming you by approaching you with a relentless and (often foolish) aggression. When they approach and dash attack, just shield...then grab. Then get him in the air and juggle. Also, from what I've noticed, a lot of Little Mac players aren't very good; they rely on getting you mad or overwhelmed, and then they capitalize on your lack of concentration and brash reactions. Generally speaking, their strategies are very predictable and telegraphed. Be smart! Watch what they do, and react accordingly to punish what they do.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The above two posts covered most of what I would said (though I wouldn't count on your opponent being bad; never underestimate your opponent!).

One more point of consideration: Mac's grab is pretty bad. It's slow to start for a standard grab, and its range is pitiful; I think WFT's is the only one with less range. His reward off throws isn't very good either, though dthrow>upB is a (risky) kill combo at a very specific percentage range. This means Mac doesn't answer to shields well without KO Punch prepped; just be mindful of how much shield damage you're taking.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I harass with projectiles to force a slower approach, and to make them come to the edge (their natural enemy, the good ones want to stay in the middle). Bthrow->Fair = Gimp kill even at 0%. If they air dodge, the lingering time on Fair still usually hits for Samus. If they recover low -> bair or edge drop a bomb and try to hit a dsmash. I don't know if other people think so, but I feel like Samus is almost a hard counter to Little Mac, I win the matchup so much (more so than almost any other matchup, maybe DK is easier).

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
He is the epitome of a glass cannon (even more than Brawl Game and Watch) for 3 reasons

Strong as hell attacks (along with super armor)
Bottom 10 in weight (82)
Hilariously bad recovery.

Try baiting him from the edge (I haven't plays Smash 4, but I plan to get a Wii U and Smash on my Birthday this month)

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Use attacks to add percentage onto his damage counter until such a time that your attacks knock him sufficient distance from the stage that he can no longer return.

MightyJake

Smash Rookie
I always try to force Little mac towards an edge, throw him and hit him in mid-air on his way back. That should keep them from coming back onto the stage.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
One thing to note is, that although Mac himself is pretty bad in the air, it doesn't mean you should approach him from the air while he's still on the ground. If you throw him and start a juggle, his options are very limited and the odds are in your favor, but if you approach from above, he has a lot of ways to put you in serious danger.

Also, remember to respect both his speed and his super armor. Because he's so quick and powerful, the safest route is often the best.

Supersheikbros

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lewis-Cooper
Try to zone him out with Ariel attacked and approach from above, don't fight him like your a boxer because you will most likely lose, make sure to always keep stage control to shorten his options, look for any bad habits the player does and use that to your advantage

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Another important thing to remember is that his up b doesn't auto-sweetspot/snap the ledge. For many characters this just means dsmash or a down angled fsmash for an easy stock.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Another important thing to remember is that his up b doesn't auto-sweetspot/snap the ledge. For many characters this just means dsmash or a down angled fsmash for an easy stock.
Or using a wind type move (such as FLUDD) to push him away for a pathetically easy stock

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
I always try to force Little mac towards an edge, throw him and hit him in mid-air on his way back. That should keep them from coming back onto the stage.
Do you know how much I hate when people do this???
Especially when people literally just wait by the edge for me to come to them. Keep dodging then grab me.

Last edited:

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
Do you know how much I hate when people do this???
Especially when people literally just wait by the edge for me to come to them. Keep dodging then grab me.
Well it's not like running into his super armor smashes and his lag less tilts to attempt to force an opening is a good option lol. Tbh from playing mac myself shielding and spot dodging from either center stage or midrange and dash attacking once you find a pattern in your opponents hits with something quick like the dash attack. Ledge war is pretty much the main way of shutting mac down tho it can be turned in his favor with strong reads.

Top Bottom