• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...does character weight even matter?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

I took a look at a few posts reguarding character KO percentages of different characters and have heard a few times that character falling and horizontal air speed affects how long they live. It make me wonder if character weight matters in the first place if someone like Samus, an apparent heavyweight is going to live as long as midweights like Lucario and Ivysaur.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I took a look at a few posts reguarding character KO percentages of different characters and have heard a few times that character falling and horizontal air speed affects how long they live. It make me wonder if character weight matters in the first place if someone like Samus, an apparent heavyweight is going to live as long as midweights like Lucario and Ivysaur.
Hmm.. Interesting. Would you mind posting these findings so that I we can come to a conclusion?

[Catlord] Kazoto Skytear

Smash Apprentice
When I play as a heavy character it bothers me because they're... slow. I like to have a quick light character such as Ness to get out of bad situations. Light characters also have better recoveries in my opinion. Such as Toon Link and his Air Recovery, or Ness and PK Thunder II to launch him up.

Bowser however has a, not as good Air Recovery, and is harder to controll with it. I also find myself getting juggled or cornered with a heavy character (Air Dodging for me = fail so yeah :p). Anyways, the high tiers are usually light weights besides Snake. Anyways those are my thoughts.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
When I play as a heavy character it bothers me because they're... slow. I like to have a quick light character such as Ness to get out of bad situations. Light characters also have better recoveries in my opinion. Such as Toon Link and his Air Recovery, or Ness and PK Thunder II to launch him up.

Bowser however has a, not as good Air Recovery, and is harder to controll with it. I also find myself getting juggled or cornered with a heavy character (Air Dodging for me = fail so yeah :p). Anyways, the high tiers are usually light weights besides Snake. Anyways those are my thoughts.
Snake just has power and that recovery. :p

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Weight matters for a bunch of things. Surviving is one, but having a better momentum cancel is better.
It matters more for getting CGed/locked.

They are all factors that are important. In regards to vertical KOs, fast fall might triumph more so. Link and Falcon I think fit into the category of mid-heavy if you were to have a 5 label system. But, they have some of the highest fast fall speeds in the game. So, they end up living longer more vertically than Bowser does. Horizontal I am not sure about. If it is similar to vertical, I imagine if you have a higher drifting speed you can correct your momentum coming out of stun more quickly than a slow horizontal speed character.

Jiggs is horrible at fast falling, but has a pretty high drift to the side and I suppose she would live longer to the side than the vertical given the same knockback, but different angle and distance. However, all of this is still pretty dependent upon her initial weight anyway. No amount of projection in either way will correct the fact that her low weight pervents her from living long. So, weight is really important. Also, its really important in weight based knockback moves are typically used on moves that appear to have set knockback. Go and change up the damage ratio and you should see a huge difference between jiggs and bowser getting hit by a throw or shine from fox.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Generally, the heavier a character, the harder it is to knock away. So the primary stat for survivability is going to be their weight. Then, other things come into play (recoveries, momentum cancel, air movement speed).

Top Bottom