• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U So - Am I in the wrong for playing with the Wii + nunchuk remote?

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
So since I recently got Smash 4 myself (Despite having played it for a good while over at my buddys over the years) I decided to check out the competitive scene and the "Youtubers that smash for lulz" scene more than before and I see them all using a Gamecube controller or the Wii Classic controller, and it makes me wonder if I should switch over to it as I have been using the regular Wii Remote with the nunchuk for all these years.

I never owned Melee myself, it is the Smash game I have played the least and as such I never really got any ties to the Gamecube controlled.

Smash Brawl I got close up after its release and back then I had but a Wii remote with the nunchuk and I just went with it - And I found it to be to my liking and I have just used it ever since.

Same with now that I got Smash 4, I have just been so used to the Wii with nunchuk remote that trying to use any other remote would be alien too me.

But looking at everyone else using the Gamecube or Classic controller - Am I missing out on something?

Do they just work better? Is it something to do with reaction timer? Is the Gamecube or Classic controllers more or less sensitive in ways when it comes to tapping? Do they get worn out slower? Like is it just a matter of preference / rule-set for tournaments or am I legitimately missing out on something which is key here?

The Wii with nunchuk has just been working for me, and I see no problems with it and I find the way it works to be fine - But if I actually am missing out on something or losing potential to improve in Smash 4 because of my controller choice - Then it would be fine if anyone knew and would tell.

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
So since I recently got Smash 4 myself (Despite having played it for a good while over at my buddys over the years) I decided to check out the competitive scene and the "Youtubers that smash for lulz" scene more than before and I see them all using a Gamecube controller or the Wii Classic controller, and it makes me wonder if I should switch over to it as I have been using the regular Wii Remote with the nunchuk for all these years.

I never owned Melee myself, it is the Smash game I have played the least and as such I never really got any ties to the Gamecube controlled.

Smash Brawl I got close up after its release and back then I had but a Wii remote with the nunchuk and I just went with it - And I found it to be to my liking and I have just used it ever since.

Same with now that I got Smash 4, I have just been so used to the Wii with nunchuk remote that trying to use any other remote would be alien too me.

But looking at everyone else using the Gamecube or Classic controller - Am I missing out on something?

Do they just work better? Is it something to do with reaction timer? Is the Gamecube or Classic controllers more or less sensitive in ways when it comes to tapping? Do they get worn out slower? Like is it just a matter of preference / rule-set for tournaments or am I legitimately missing out on something which is key here?

The Wii with nunchuk has just been working for me, and I see no problems with it and I find the way it works to be fine - But if I actually am missing out on something or losing potential to improve in Smash 4 because of my controller choice - Then it would be fine if anyone knew and would tell.
They don't work better, it's just a matter of getting used to. If anything, the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo works physically better because:

Wii Remote
A: Standard attack
B: Shield
Dpad down: Special attack

Nunchuk
Z: Jump
C: Grab

The key here is to use dpad down as your special attack. With the GC controller, you'll always have to reposition your right thumb when combining jumps with attacks or special attacks. With Wii Remote + Nunchuk, you don't need to do that.

People who say that GC controll is a must for competetive play are simply extremely attached and used to it.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
You lose out of the c-stick/right stick. If you're playing casually then it probably doesn't matter that much, and there are a few top level players, such as ScAtt, who use the Wii Remote + Nunchuk. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that discuss the various control schemes. Do note that Wii Remote + Nunchuk is unlikely to work for any Smash Switch game (if we ever get one). GameCube controllers might work (through an adapter), and Switch Pro Controllers will probably work (but they are somewhat different from Wii U Pro Controllers).

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
You lose out of the c-stick/right stick. If you're playing casually then it probably doesn't matter that much, and there are a few top level players, such as ScAtt, who use the Wii Remote + Nunchuk. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that discuss the various control schemes. Do note that Wii Remote + Nunchuk is unlikely to work for any Smash Switch game (if we ever get one). GameCube controllers might work (through an adapter), and Switch Pro Controllers will probably work (but they are somewhat different from Wii U Pro Controllers).
Sorry, you're absolutely right about that! Completely forget about quick smash attacks. :)

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
As previously mentioned, the disadvantage you're at is a lack of second stick for tilts or quick smash attacks and the fact that it wont translate well if we get a Smash Switch (which is pretty much guaranteed).

Don't feel like you have to switch over to a Gamecube Controller though - I personally use the gamepad for Smash 4 and it feels so much better for me than the Gamecube Controller, at least at the moment. I need a new Gamecube controller though so I may not currently have the best judgement in that regard. But honestly I think that's more to do with the faster movement in Melee the Gamecube Controller's association with that in my mind.

Basically, try all of them and go with whichever seems most comfortable and fluid.

Last edited:

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Use whatever controller you're comfortable with, I use WiiChuck myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom