• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... About that shine...

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
So, I've been having problems with Fox's shine since it 3.6 first came out. Note that this isn't about how they nerfed shine spiking cuz I can deal with that... even if my opponents do get closer to the stage after I shine spike them.

Anyways, here are the problem I've had. Sometimes my opponents attack me right after I shine them. Like, I shine, wavedash and then get dash attacked mid wavedash. Idk if I'm the only one, but it's happened a lot and I just wanna know if I'm the only one experiencing this.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Are you shining them when they are in the air instead of on the ground? if you shine them in the air, they won't have lag aside from normal landing like, so they can hit you during the wavedash. if you waveshine someone on the ground, u have like a half second after the shine, so you should not be getting hit mid wavedash

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
About that shine... I'm from melee, and the lack of an intagibility frame on the shine is like... the death of me. I trade with shine [!!!] get grabbed out of shine etc. Even double shines aren't that "yeah let me win that close quarter real quick" kind of tool anymore. It's just not that OP neutral game weapon anymore. I guess it's the point of the nerf, and there isn't much you can do to get around it.

It's just really annoying to see like shiek who got buffed instead ( up b knockback, f-smash better, wallgrab etc)

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
T trilok yeah, but it doesn't really happen then. Sometimes right after I shine people I'll get dash attacked mid-wavedash

Klemes Klemes yeah it annoys me too. Like I can live with it for the most part, but every now and then I'm just like "Oh my gosh... This crap..."

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
They literally made shine just a 1 frame move now. Not even a complete shine like it use to be. I can deal with knockback property changes, but if you're gonna do that, leave the invulnerability. They already took away the recovery, reduced kill power on smashes, took away jab up smash, and made back air a less than optimal spacing tool on both spacies. Theres really no point in attempting to shine for edge guarding now. fox literally has to commit to everything, and receive about 1/3 less the payout for everything he did in melee. Kind of a harsh nerf in my honest opinion. It should have been a choice between invulnerability, or knock back. I would take either if one got left alone. not both.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
They literally made shine just a 1 frame move now. Not even a complete shine like it use to be. I can deal with knockback property changes, but if you're gonna do that, leave the invulnerability. They already took away the recovery, reduced kill power on smashes, took away jab up smash, and made back air a less than optimal spacing tool on both spacies. Theres really no point in attempting to shine for edge guarding now. fox literally has to commit to everything, and receive about 1/3 less the payout for everything he did in melee. Kind of a harsh nerf in my honest opinion. It should have been a choice between invulnerability, or knock back. I would take either if one got left alone. not both.
QQ

Jab Upsmash still works. His recovery is the same. Back air is still godly. Shine still kills.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
QQ

Jab Upsmash still works. His recovery is the same. Back air is still godly. Shine still kills.
Jab up-smash doesn't work if your opponent is capable of DI. His recovery was intentionally nerfed, so its not the same. Shine only reliably kills if you manage to either A: Waveshine into a kill or grab set up, or B: grab the ledge, and use the invulnerability to reliably hit someone with it, hoping their recovery resources are depleted. And that's invulnerability from grabbing ledge, shine doesn't even have armor. Back air is still solid, but with so many different weight changes, its uses are pretty much about either the same as before, or a little more risky. Don't know why people hate Fox so much. Whole point of this game was to make characters be able to beat him. Not beat him, and then make it worse lol.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I don't hate Fox. I play him.

Jab is frame 2. So unless you're in a position when Jab is really obvious, it's not going to get DId properly a bunch of the time.

Recovery only altered in landing lag, which means you've made it back to the stage. Most of the time you're going to get 7 frames of landing lag which is still well above average.

Shine is actually quite disjointed. It's quite possible to shine a person with an active hitbox and not trade. Also if you're connecting shine, at worst you're trading unless they also have invincibility frames when you try to shine them (like DK for example).

Wait, what exactly about Back Air are you complaining about?

These nerfs don't change his core gameplay. Like pretty much none of his nerfs from Melee to PM do. And they don't change his matchups all that much either, he still wins or goes even in every one.

>Whole point of this game was to make characters be able to beat him. Not beat him, and then make it worse lol.

If you actually believe that then you misunderstand this game.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
mfw people complain about fox not being good enough .-.

Seriously, you've got the best character in the frikkin game, how he was in melee doesn't mean a thing, if you want an unbalanced smash game sm4sh and melee will fit you nicely.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So, I've been having problems with Fox's shine since it 3.6 first came out. Note that this isn't about how they nerfed shine spiking cuz I can deal with that... even if my opponents do get closer to the stage after I shine spike them.

Anyways, here are the problem I've had. Sometimes my opponents attack me right after I shine them. Like, I shine, wavedash and then get dash attacked mid wavedash. Idk if I'm the only one, but it's happened a lot and I just wanna know if I'm the only one experiencing this.
This occurs when you shine someone on a downward slope. Basically, shine has a 0 degree angle (when either player is grounded) which is perfectly horizontal, which is just low enough to not pick the opponent up off the ground. But if the slope is downward by any degree, then in relation to the ground, shine at that point has a slightly upward angle, just enough to pick them up off the ground. And when they get picked up, they land almost immediately because shine is still a really low angle and gravity starts pulling them down ASAP. They land, and this cancels hitstun just like what happens when you ASDI down to crouch cancel. This happens with shine in melee too, but there are less (legal) stages with slopes in PM so you'll almost never see it, whereas PM has several stages on the front page with slopes and no real defined stage list lol. If you want to test this, Yoshi's island brawl or lylat cruise are obvious places to do so.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
This occurs when you shine someone on a downward slope. Basically, shine has a 0 degree angle (when either player is grounded) which is perfectly horizontal, which is just low enough to not pick the opponent up off the ground. But if the slope is downward by any degree, then in relation to the ground, shine at that point has a slightly upward angle, just enough to pick them up off the ground. And when they get picked up, they land almost immediately because shine is still a really low angle and gravity starts pulling them down ASAP. They land, and this cancels hitstun just like what happens when you ASDI down to crouch cancel. This happens with shine in melee too, but there are less (legal) stages with slopes in PM so you'll almost never see it, whereas PM has several stages on the front page with slopes and no real defined stage list lol. If you want to test this, Yoshi's island brawl or lylat cruise are obvious places to do so.
So, you ASDI down with the C-stick to CC more effectively ?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
mfw people complain about fox not being good enough .-.

Seriously, you've got the best character in the frikkin game, how he was in melee doesn't mean a thing, if you want an unbalanced smash game sm4sh and melee will fit you nicely.
So you're implying that PM in itself is balanced? If so, how?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
PM is more balanced than Melee and Smash 4.

Don't pick fights.
I don't wanna fight, I just want to know. The general idea that I've had from a lot of conversations about PM is that it still was in need of more tweaks to be considered more balanced overall. But no one ever told my why it would be considered balanced. So, I wanna know. If it's because of preference then I won't reply because of the fact that it will be two opinions. But, I wanna know if there are logical comparisons between the titles that makes this one game more balanced than the others. Nothing on this board worth fighting over.

Edit: That's why I asked how he meant when he said PM was balanced.

Last edited:

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna fight, I just want to know. The general idea that I've had from a lot of conversations about PM is that it still was in need of more tweaks to be considered more balanced overall. But no one ever told my why it would be considered balanced. So, I wanna know. If it's because of preference then I won't reply because of the fact that it will be two opinions. But, I wanna know if there are logical comparisons between the titles that makes this one game more balanced than the others. Nothing on this board worth fighting over.

Edit: That's why I asked how he meant when he said PM was balanced.
Every character has great tools and something to offer in a competitive level. I can see a few characters becoming not viable with time, but the vast majority has the tools to win. So while it's not completed, it's the most balanced smash game/mod to date.

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Denjinpachi Denjinpachi You can already say that PM is more balanced than Melee if you aknowledge this :

1. The top players use a wider range of characters and can win with them. As opposed to Melee where you almost never see a character below #6 (:foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee:) do well in top 8 for example.

2. All characters in PM seem somewhat viable, and are WAY better than their Melee trash-tier counterparts like :kirbymelee::gawmelee::bowsermelee::nessmelee:. How they fit in with the rest of the cast can be more or less honest, but it's already leagues better than in Melee where they basically couldn't exist in a competitive environement.

So yeah the game certainly isn't balanced as in "perfectly equal in term of chances of winning", and it never could have. But one couldn't deny that PM is way more refined that Melee in this matter, balance isn't even a thing in Melee when you look at it.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Tomaster Tomaster Klemes Klemes

I can see how that would be true for now from the perspective that there is certainly a more leveled playing field due to the new and changed movesets of characters in the game. But I think that we see now as balance could potentially change in the future with this game. At one point, the characters that we see is amazing in melee weren't always seen that way. I'm interested to see how the viewpoints will change in the future once more time is spent into PM. While, yes, there are more viable characters, I'd say the principle is the same. There will always just be characters that will be better than others in any game, and some will be even better than those. That's just a thing in gaming. But just because you buff characters and leave a tier list with the ratings of only "A-B-viable" instead of multiple tiers, doesn't really mean its balanced.

I'll agree that PM allows a lot more potential for different character placings in top 8's purely for dedication than melee will. However, I can't say the same for Smash 4 just yet, because its in a similar boat as PM. It's a newer game with its final build finally becoming static for development. Plus, I'd still say that a lot of "viable" tier characters (the undefined bottom tier in reference to the tier list that was released from a pool of I think 50 top/strong players) haven't been fully fleshed out yet. I won't dismiss the claim of PM being balanced, but ill argue that it may be too soon to tell. Everyone playing PM has the experience from Melee or Brawl, so they play the game with those experiences in mind. (That's a little bit of a generalization, I know there are people who started and stuck with PM, and also started with smash 4 and picked it up. I was discussing the majority of active players in the smash community that played before each of those titles.)

Perfect examples are the characters that are considered exceptional now, like Sheik, Fox, Marth, etc. that can be considered to either make up that S or high A tier grade. Those were some characters that showed their full potential displaying it over time with a lot of work that is pretty much free for us to learn now. A lot of characters in PM don't have that time put in like those characters. But a character that also got recognized within the last year was Game & Watch. He wasn't always considered a contender for top tier in the game. People started recognizing his tools which were already really good, and were taken by surprise when L's went on a rampage at a few tourneys. Now people want to argue that he is top 5 in the game. When discoveries like this happen, these characters with great tools start solidifying their places in their tiers, and then the word "balance" can kinda be argued for how it gets used or what it really applies to. I'd say that PM is as balanced as the other games solely because it will go through the same processes the previous titles went through before it. No one will know who is really amazing until more time is put in, and then results are solidified. Fox wasn't always S tier in melee. Nor Meta Knight and IC's in Brawl.

Now also talking about how a lot of characters just got better in PM, then yeah, that's undeniable. But, that also means you have to consider how much has really changed for the character as a whole. Not just look it its new tools. Bowser will always lose to Sheik on paper because of what she can do off of grabs. But, if you want to give the possibility that he doesn't get grabbed, he has armor, better recovery on his moves, aerial command grab that spikes, highly damaging punishes, a moderate tech chase game, etc. So, yes he has a way to fight if he gets to use his new tools, but he still will struggle against the things he was weak against before all the same. That'd still mean that he would lose the match up assuming optimal play from both sides, but with the realistic possibility of mistakes from either side, anything can happen. But the MU still stays the same. If it improves, it is only due to punish game. The character won't become faster, or get better reach, or anything like that, so it will improve based on potential interaction, more so than what is given on what is guaranteed.

Last example i'll give, would be like Lucario. If you played brawl, you'd already see the huge differences in the two characters from the respective games. Lucario can cancel his standard moves into specials, and mix in different cancels with his Aura in PM. An amazing buff for any character period. However, what does this change if he fights a character that's already fleshed out like Fox? Nothing. He can be waveshined, and upthrown to almost anything just like a lot of other characters. He loses the neutral game severely due to his lack of approach and zoning tools. He has amazing tools for punish and combo game, and are aesthetically pleasing, and even highly damaging, but he still loses to fox who has been nerfed bit by bit up until now. I think (assuming optimization for play of course) he still loses like 6-4 or 7-3. Doesn't mean its free, or unwinnable, but the result would be fox, or a character of his tier or capability would still beat this character that has been adjusted to have better potential for doing well in this new game.

TLDR; I think its too soon to say a game is balanced because every character has a better means to fight against characters that were the best in a different game (Spacies, Marth, Sheik, even brawl's best characters Meta Knight and Ice Climbers). Tiers change all the time, and the perspective on what's balanced is kinda based on perspective of who you use in the game. And no, Melee is not balanced at all. Like, period. In terms of balance it'd go Smash 4, PM, 64, then a toss up between brawl and melee. Melee looking like the last place for most balanced.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
PM is without a doubt more balanced than Smash 4. It's been out longer, has had more character development, had a team of smashers who understand competitive play balance it instead of Sakurai, and you actually see most characters do well. I've never seen a Zelda or Ganon in Smash 4 do anything.

Also PM characters tiers will change over time, as the characters develop more, but as characters get better peoples' understanding of how to get around that get better. It's sorta like playing catchup. People adapt. Lz stomped people with GW at Paragon, then he took third at TO11. GW is still considered pretty good and Lz himself is stupidly good at smash, but people are starting to figure out how to play against him.

So while characters develop, people's matchup understanding develops as well. It's not only character development run rampant.

But thanks to us being familiar with the characters and familiar with Melee and Brawl's mechanics, we have a pretty good idea of how characters work. We can understand that some characters will always have the tools to compete, as we can recognize why some characters flat out suck in other games.

Top Bottom