• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

snakes strengths/f smash ?

Wing-Zero

Smash Apprentice
snake is cool and all but he doesnt seem to have much strengths

what can he do?

is there a limit for his landmines?

what could be his final smash?

SO MUCH QUESTIONS SO I PU THEM IN ONE THREAD! :dizzy:

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Let's see, we don't have much information available (mainly vague information) but alot can be speculated.

His side-b, the Nikita missile, is pretty much an improved version of PK thunder. It moves much faster and is easier to control, but you are vulnerable as Ness is when you use it.

His down-b, is burrying a land mine. We've seen a detonator in his hand from the movie, but could this somehow be linked to that move? Much is to be determined about that one.

His up-b, the cypher pretty much gives him a pretty good vertical recovery, and I assume it does decent damage.

There is a thread on what his final smash *could be* in this very forum.

Snake's build seems like a medium type of character, such as Mario or C. Falcon. His combo's look short and useful, and he seems to be alright from what we've seen so far. When Sakurai releases more, I'm sure we'll get those questions answered correctly.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
snake is cool and all but he doesnt seem to have much strengths

what can he do?

is there a limit for his landmines?

what could be his final smash?

SO MUCH QUESTIONS SO I PU THEM IN ONE THREAD! :dizzy:
You have no time to ponder such questions as Link has just grabbed the Smash Ball. On topic, we don't know what he can do or if there is a limit on his mines. There's already a Final Smash discussion thread for Snake. I'm sorry, but at this point we just have to sit tight and wait for Sakurai to give us a helpful update.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
The Brawl site clearly shows that the landmine is a smash attack, NOT his down B.
In all the MGS games the landmine is not set off remotely. C4 is, so that is a completely different move.

SonicLuigi

Smash Journeyman
either green hill zone or mushroom kingdom
Let's see, we don't have much information available (mainly vague information) but alot can be speculated.

His side-b, the Nikita missile, is pretty much an improved version of PK thunder. It moves much faster and is easier to control, but you are vulnerable as Ness is when you use it.

His down-b, is burrying a land mine. We've seen a detonator in his hand from the movie, but could this somehow be linked to that move? Much is to be determined about that one.

His up-b, the cypher pretty much gives him a pretty good vertical recovery, and I assume it does decent damage.

There is a thread on what his final smash *could be* in this very forum.

Snake's build seems like a medium type of character, such as Mario or C. Falcon. His combo's look short and useful, and he seems to be alright from what we've seen so far. When Sakurai releases more, I'm sure we'll get those questions answered correctly.
ok you my friend....know tooo much about snake....but thats really helpful information, and im gonna be like a sonic know it all soon :D count on it...im practially a luigi know-it-all

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The Brawl site clearly shows that the landmine is a smash attack, NOT his down B.
In all the MGS games the landmine is not set off remotely. C4 is, so that is a completely different move.
Referring my references, yes it is his Down-B.

If you looked at the brawl videos (introductory showing all newcomers), when snake comes up, he attacks pit, and as he is on the floor, dodge rolls across him and fires a rocket on the floor. This I believe is his down smash, as I saw him charge for a split second before firing the rocket.

Not all moves come at the same time, so just because the mine isn't listed on the list on the brawl website, doesn't mean that's not the down B move.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Nooo... The mine and the mortar are shown in pics right under the statement that his smash attacks use ordinance. Under those 2 pics is the B move section. You can't argue with the facts.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Still though, the idea of having to "bury" in a smash attack which is supposed to be used during the heat of battle... sounds pretty awkward.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but imagine the possibilites. Your opponent's game will be thrown off by the fact that they have to constantly remember where you hid that mine.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Hate to point out the obvious, but snake IS a tad out of place in Melee. He hasn't had a Nintendo game in years, and they had to deny him his guns, ciggies, and knife. However, Sakurai promised that he would get plenty of explosives.

Let's review the facts:

Fact #1: This is the update. (minus images. I'm a tad lazy right now.)

"It’s not just Snake’s special moves that use ordnance—so do his Smash attacks. Can that be?

He’s shooting something up in the air!

He’s planting something!

<Side Special Move: Remote Missile>

This is called a Nikita. It’s a remote-controlled missile.

Missile fired!

You can control the missile yourself! But since Snake is so focused on controlling the missile, he’s completely defenseless while he does so.

If things get dangerous, press the shield button to stop controlling the missile.

<Standard Special Move: Hand Grenade>

Try walking around with the pin out.

Press your special-move button to pull out the pin. The grenade will explode after a few seconds, so be aware of the time and press the special-move button again to toss the grenade.

Strong throw!

Mid throw!

Soft throw!

There are three ways to throw the grenade.
Tilt the Control Stick forward, not at all, or backward.

In some cases, grenades you drop may get returned to sender.

And his recovery special move is...

<Up Special Move: Cypher>

Oh! Watch out! In times like this...

Shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh!

Use his flying reconnaissance camera, the Cypher, to recover. Snake can’t fly, but he’ll do what he must.

He’ll use anything in the battlefield. That’s the crux of survival."

If you look closely, you'll see that the subject is divided into two distinct sections via verbal cues. For the reader's convenience, I will separate them using a line.

"It’s not just Snake’s special moves that use ordnance—so do his Smash attacks. Can that be?

He’s shooting something up in the air!

He’s planting something!

<Side Special Move: Remote Missile>

This is called a Nikita. It’s a remote-controlled missile.

Missile fired!

You can control the missile yourself! But since Snake is so focused on controlling the missile, he’s completely defenseless while he does so.

If things get dangerous, press the shield button to stop controlling the missile.

<Standard Special Move: Hand Grenade>

Try walking around with the pin out.

Press your special-move button to pull out the pin. The grenade will explode after a few seconds, so be aware of the time and press the special-move button again to toss the grenade.

Strong throw!

Mid throw!

Soft throw!

There are three ways to throw the grenade.
Tilt the Control Stick forward, not at all, or backward.

In some cases, grenades you drop may get returned to sender.

And his recovery special move is...

<Up Special Move: Cypher>

Oh! Watch out! In times like this...

Shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh-shoosh!

Use his flying reconnaissance camera, the Cypher, to recover. Snake can’t fly, but he’ll do what he must.

He’ll use anything in the battlefield. That’s the crux of survival."

Note how the rest of the update is unaffected by the dissasociation of the upper part of the text. This shows that the two are not connected via verbal cues. In fact, if I delete the 'special moves section' all together, the rest of the post will still make perfect sense (that sense being 'Snake's smash attacks also use ordnance, here are some examples.')

Also, if I delete the 'smash attack section', the rest of the post still makes perfect sense (that sense being 'I'm explaining three of Snake's special moves.') This shows that the two are not linked by verbal cues and do not refer to each other, which proves that they are not connected in any way. The text "It’s not just Snake’s special moves that use ordnance—so do his Smash attacks. Can that be?" Specifically refer to the two following examples, while each special move section (<Side Special Move: Remote Missile>, <Standard Special Move: Hand Grenade>, <Up Special Move: Cypher>) each refer to the text specifically in their own subsections.

Also, if you think planting the mine would be an odd move for a V Smash, I'd like to point out his up Smash, which has him firing a missle straight into the air. Never in all of SSB has there been a smash attack that involves shooting an explosive projectile into the air. I personally think that's a lot stranger than burying a land mine.

Sakurai mentioned that his smash attacks are also explosive, so I think him shooting that rocket launcher into the ground may be his > Smash, as it is explosive and was seen briefly charging in the trailer, something that only Smash attacks can do. If that's true, Snake's Smash attacks will be among the most original in the game, granting him a thoroughly unique play style.

I wonder if the detonator seen in that clip was his down B? That would allow him to plant multiple mines, then set them off even in midair. Talk about your crazy combos! It would also be more in-keeping with his character and games, as that's how the mines worked in MGS: Slap a bunch of them everywhere, then start blowing them up one by one. 'Course, it would do you no good if you don't have any mines planted or the opponent can keep track of them all.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the in depth post Tingle. I don't see why some people are arguing with the FACT that the landmine pic is in the smash attack section of Snake's page.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
O yeah and about the rocket launcher. If it is his -> Smash do you guys think that it will be heat-seeking if charged, like locking on the missile in the game? This would explain why the missile went downward towards Pit since Snake charged it.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Thank you for clearing that up Tingle, makes more sense to me now.

And about the heat-seeking missile on a smash attack, my speculation would be a no, because on his side-b he already has a do-it-yourself missile. I could be wrong, however.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Snake is going to be good i see him as the replacement for Gandorf
WAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
And, pray tell, WHY wuld e replace Ganondorf when it is absolutely clear he will come back for:

1. Being leaked in an interview.

2. His appearance in TP was to large and awesome to ignore.

3. He is the most declonable char in the series.

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Let me rephrase, the will be similar to ganon as in his combos are short and powerful. He won't be a clone of him we can already see that, but he will be similar, slightly faster with slightly better combo ability

Wing-Zero

Smash Apprentice
i agree but dont u think ganondorf will have a sword like from twilight princess?

if they add the sword they will be different , making me happy :)

Machspeed

Smash Lord
i agree but dont u think ganondorf will have a sword like from twilight princess?

if they add the sword they will be different , making me happy :)
I think they would add the sword, I mean after all Sakurai DID say he didn't want another clone, and melee ganondorf was a cpt. falcon clone.

If not the sword, I would be satisfied with a completely different moveset from cpt. falcon.

Top Bottom