• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake impressions

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
I had a chance to play Brawl last weekend with a few friends. I was amazed to see how well Snake implements his 'explosive' move set, as well as his CQC.

A few things I noticed:
- to play Snake you really need to pay attention to what is going on during battle, not just between you and your opponent, but the flow of the battle itself. An interesting approach is planting mines along the edges of the stage, but it's important not to limit yourself to edge guards. (your opponents will catch on pretty quickly)

- Snake's C4 is simply perfect. It's easy to set, or, if you enjoy the rush of close quarter combat, it only takes a few steps of trial and error to learn the perfect way to plant C4 on your enemy without them noticing. Be warned, after planting C4 on your opponent it will begin to act as a gooey bomb (i.e. if you were to cross paths with that character again, the C4 will stick to you, the same goes for anyone else who walks passed the tagged character)

- A cool side note, if you plant C4 on a downed opponent, it will be molded in the shape of a butterfly (MGS3)

- Snake is a powerhouse, no question, I don't think I ever lost a stock while below 160%-200%, his recovery cypher is slow to activate, but once you're airborne you can spend quite a long time in the air. The problem with hovering above your opponent is the fact that Snake is a big target while hanging from the cypher and can be kept from touching the ground if you've got someone watching your descent and smashing you back up into the sky.

- A great way to counter this is dropping C4 while airborne and detonating it as it falls beside your enemy. (watch it carefully). The first few times I tried this I simply blew myself up, but you get the feel for it pretty quickly.

- Snake's down air (series of stomps) is surprisingly not very effective against enemies below you, although the last stomp is pretty powerful. I'm still trying to figure out an effective use for this move. Don't get me wrong, it can be implemented into a quick jump combo, but you're probably better off using his forward ax kick spike, or the standard aerial neutral A (which is a great way to send pursuing enemies quickly to the other side of the screen if you manage to make contact with each kick)

- Grenades are a great way to screw with people, you can throw 2 at a time and more often than not people will misjudge the blast radius and fall within the kill zone. They're great to use when you notice two people fighting a few yards from you, just chuck a couple between them. If you're lucky one might even accidentally pick the grenade up while they're simply trying to attack (which goes without saying is pretty funny to see their reaction as they're blown into the air.) 1 vs. 1 is a bit more tricky, as you'll more than likely find yourself playing hot potato with your opponent.

- The Mortar launcher is a bit hard at first to get a handle on. The best use I had for it was the last event match where you fight off the entire roster with one life. Simply charging it and letting mortars rain down from above really works well. When fighting against another player, however, it's a bit tricky to add it into the rest of your attacks. The mortars themselves don't go straight up and then straight down, depending on the terrain and level you're fighting on you can send one up and have it land infront or behind you, get a feel for the stage and you'll begin to figure out how to send mortars up and then engaging hand-to-hand combat against your enemy as the mortar descends down on top of him. (The mortars do no damage to Snake)

- The Nikita is effective, but hardly conventional. Occasionally Ness would headbutt my Nikita, or C. Falcon would knee it into a different direction and the **** thing would'nt even blow up as they made contact. I find it easier to cancel the missile above my target's head and let it drop. If you time it right, this is a great way disorientate your opponent. Chuck a couple grenade's, one high, one low, then send a Nikita over top and let it fall, they'll have a hell of a time dodging all 3, and it gives Snake time to plan his next attack.

- In the beginning I was extremely concerned with how Snake's hand-to-hand combat would rank up to the other brawlers, but Im very happy to see how it turned out. The standard punch, punch, kick we're familiar with is strong with a decent amount of knock-back, but what I found myself using more often than not was his Side A combo, the knee to double fisted hammer punch. This move is strong, really strong, and it's surprisingly fast if you time the attack right. A quick dodge of your opponents attack gives you all the time you need to put the hurt on. Snake's hand-to-hand is just what I was hoping for, quick, simple and to the point, anyone trying to get in close to prevent a grenade or Nikita strike from afar will be completely blown away by how strong Snake really is upclose.

Well I sort of rambled on a bit but if you haven't played the game yet and were looking for some first hand feedback of how Snake feels (not just his move sets) then I hope I helped you out somewhat. He's definitely going to be my main. If you have any questions about the game, not necessarily pertaining to Snake, let me know.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
Hey midge, I saw some of your matches on youtube. You def. got me psyched to play Snake. I also just got done reading about the grenade drop during close quarter battle, it sounds like something I should start trying out more often.

also, have you found an effective use for his down grab, it does pretty good damage after laying your opponent down, but it seems difficult to add in anything else, even the break dance sweep kick.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Hey midge, I saw some of your matches on youtube. You def. got me psyched to play Snake. I also just got done reading about the grenade drop during close quarter battle, it sounds like something I should start trying out more often.

also, have you found an effective use for his down grab, it does pretty good damage after laying your opponent down, but it seems difficult to add in anything else, even the break dance sweep kick.
I usually try to tech chase, I've been able to chain downgrabs

and if you fail to go where they're going you can dash attack usually before they can shield

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
I'll have to give it a shot. It may be something I use during wi-fi matches, as my friends are prone to physical violence after suffering a series of chaingrabs.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Hrmmm, in terms of chain grabbing...is it actually possible to get there in time? I mean, most of the people I play against roll straight away, the most i can usually get in is just a dash attack...

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
- A cool side note, if you plant C4 on a downed opponent, it will be molded in the shape of a butterfly (MGS3)
YOU ARE AMAZING THAT IS AMAZING. This character is so friggin' great.

I'll have to give it a shot. It may be something I use during wi-fi matches, as my friends are prone to physical violence after suffering a series of chaingrabs.
I've done chaingrabs with Snake on wifi, it's not a particularly rare occurance, but it is VERY difficult with the lag factor. You basically have to perfectly read what they're going to do to follow with another grab, the lag prevents you from doing it based on reflex. You can't expect to get off more than 2 or 3. Offline, however, it's super great. 60%+ damage for free off of one grab. Even if you miss by running too late, you can jab combo and it'll interrupt pretty much everything they try to do.

Some characters can roll too far away to follow even if you start as soon as Snake's ready, but most of them are chaseable. I THINK. Don't quote me on that.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Man I've been wondering if the mortar is any good. From the vids I've seen it doesn't have any good knockback and you have to time it well in order to land a hit.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Man I've been wondering if the mortar is any good. From the vids I've seen it doesn't have any good knockback and you have to time it well in order to land a hit.
But it makes you INVINCIBLE.

It's definitely his best Smash IMO.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Ummm the C4 being a butterfly is just a chance thing, I've done it on oppenents who weren't downed

I like the Mortar because you can fully charge it and then shoot 2 more and it's like a wall lol

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
Ummm the C4 being a butterfly is just a chance thing, I've done it on oppenents who weren't downed

I like the Mortar because you can fully charge it and then shoot 2 more and it's like a wall lol
Yeah, I had only seen the butterfly C4 once. I planted some on a (dead) Lucas during a stamina match and noticed it was in the shape of a butterfly. I should have tested it a few more times to see how often it takes the butterfly shape, but I did manage to get a few pics of it. I'll try to upload them and a few others when I get the chance.

Another quick thing, Snake's recovery cypher does damage to players as it hovers, the damage isn't very significant but I've used it on several occasions to prevent getting spiked while making my way back to the stage. Also, I've managed to hit the smash ball with it quite a few times, and more often then not, it's usually enough to break it open, granting Snake his Final Smash. I guess if you were to practice canceling his recovery and spamming cyphers up into the air, it would give you a huge advantage during the skirmish to get the smash ball.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
I wouldn't go around using upB as an attack but the whole cypher hitting people does seem to mess them up if they're trying to get you off stage

VU!?

Smash Cadet
You can try shooting mortars at falling opponents I guess. Also if you hit some one with the mortar launcher itself it knocks them up into air and into the mortar. It's pretty decent when you get the timing down, though from what I've seen his utilt seems like a better choice for KOing.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
The up tilt is definitely just as effective as a standard up smash, its powerful and reaches high, the problem is positioning yourself in an effective attack range. Unless you're rubbing uglies with the enemy you're going to have a hard time making contact with Snake's wild up tilt kick. Try rolling into your target, it usually sends them straight up, this puts them in the perfect position for a quick up tilt, or if their damage is too high and they're sent out of range of the kick, you should be able to send a mortar up after them.

Keep in mind though, after a roll Snake usually winds up laying flat in a crawling position. (I'm assuming this is a sort of like a joke seeing as often times when playing MGS1,2&3 after a roll into an enemy Snake will end up laying down due to the fact that your 'roll' button in MGS is the same as your crouch/crawl).

VU!?

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I'll have to try that trick out later, though honestly I can't seem to pull off an utilt without jumping or up smashing =(

BTW I remember rolling (or cartwheeling if you were Raiden) on stairs and falling. Made me laugh the first time I saw it.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
His UpTilt actually has a rediculously decieving amount of horizontal reach, it goes pretty far infront of him which is weird

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
I'll have to give the up tilt a second chance if the horizontal reach is closer than I had thought. It could possibly fit in well with his three hit combo, if I just cancel the kick for the up tilt, then possibly add a mortar... then pursue via cypher, release it below the target to prevent them from recovering midair and following up with a Up aerial kick... (I've got the itch to play again soon). My first time messing with the up tilt I just looked like a fool swinging my leg over my head when my enemy was clearly standing infront of me. But the great thing about Smash Bros. is that years from now you'll still be perfecting your combination of attacks because there is always something new to learn.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I'll have to try that trick out later, though honestly I can't seem to pull off an utilt without jumping or up smashing =(

BTW I remember rolling (or cartwheeling if you were Raiden) on stairs and falling. Made me laugh the first time I saw it.
That reminds me, someone who has brawl within reach should build a quick stage with some stairs and have snake roll down them.. I could be wrong, but I swear I tried rolling down a flight of stairs during a custom stage match and I fell flat on my face.

We were all pretty drunk though, so there might have been a different reason as to why Snake fell..

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
=Snake=, you forgot one aspect of the grenades: the timer. What I like to do is take out a grenade, hold B, shield (to drop the grenade), pick it up, waiting out the timer, then doing a smash throw. Most of the time, it blows up in the opponent's face.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
That reminds me, someone who has brawl within reach should build a quick stage with some stairs and have snake roll down them.. I could be wrong, but I swear I tried rolling down a flight of stairs during a custom stage match and I fell flat on my face.

We were all pretty drunk though, so there might have been a different reason as to why Snake fell..
Oooo man, I was really hoping this was true, it would be just like MGS

but I just tried it and it didnt work :(

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Utilt has quite a bit of horizontal reach, and it's fast. It's kind of like falco's utilt in melee, except it seems to have more power. his dtilt is pretty fast, has decent range, and has power as well.

Aerials... bair is really nice. Comes out fast, good knock back, good priority, range, and lasts for awhile. Fair i'm having more trouble to land with, but the end of it spikes.
Uair is good, decent knockback, good priority.

I like all of snake's non-special, non-smash moves. I've yet to learn to incorporate his gadget stuff.

Also, Psycho ******, you live in irvine? I go to uci. We should play some smash sometime.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I got to play as Snake for a couple hours yesterday and really liked him. The people I was paying with were not great by any stretch of the imagination, but Snake is just a beast in teams, especially on stages with dark backgrounds as dropping C4 from the air is impossible to spot unless both opponents are focused on you.

Also, a little trick I liked was charging up smash, having the opponent charge because you are defenseless, fire and shield quickly, shield grab, choke them and wait for the mortar to hit. Because the mortar can't hurt you you won't take any damage and if they grab you first, the mortar is coming down soon and will hit them regardless. It worked rather nicely the several times I tried it.

VU!?

Smash Cadet
I got to play as Snake for a couple hours yesterday and really liked him. The people I was paying with were not great by any stretch of the imagination, but Snake is just a beast in teams, especially on stages with dark backgrounds as dropping C4 from the air is impossible to spot unless both opponents are focused on you.

Also, a little trick I liked was charging up smash, having the opponent charge because you are defenseless, fire and shield quickly, shield grab, choke them and wait for the mortar to hit. Because the mortar can't hurt you you won't take any damage and if they grab you first, the mortar is coming down soon and will hit them regardless. It worked rather nicely the several times I tried it.
Yea I've use the mortar trick quite a few times but personally I prefer playing 1 v 1 when I use Snake because in team games I some times blow up my partner with grenades/C4...

BTW I don't know if this has been said before but maps with platforms (like Battlefield) are awsome for Snake. You can drop a C4 on the platform and many people don't see it coming when they stand under it =)

Top Bottom