• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake B Moves Discussion

smashbot226

Smash Master
I shouldn't even have to TELL you what to discuss...

B: It's alright. Depending on the blast radius and damage, it should turn out splenderific.

B^: Straaaaaaange. Does it cause damage? How high up or far does it go? Does it hover or let Snake go when the time is up? We'll only know 2/10...

B>: Similar to PK Thunder to me. Except more powerful. And a rocket.

BV: I think we may have seen it: the land mine move. It couldn't have been his Down smash because it's missing the yellow glow when you charge it, which it most certainly is charging. Also, I could see it as the potential final move for Snake, seeing as there is a boatload of ways to implement it...

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
I wish Snake was playable on the Demo because I
don't understand how that mine moves is gonna work.
It's displayed with his smashes but WTF, how is that gonna
work.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Sakurai would not have implied that the landmine was a Smash attack if it wasnt. Mario's tornado was given, "Huh? Is it a normal attack?" and indeed it was. Mock ignorance, Sakurai's full of that in his updates. "His smash attacks use ordnance too? Can that be?" and those two screenshots. The landmine is a Smash attack. See in the "Snake Joins the Brawl" video how Snake takes out a remote and blows up something? Thats probably his down smash after planting the mine...

Down B is the box. Sakurai said he would use it along with explosions, and the box would not be a down smash lol, especially the way he has been using it in videos and screenshots...

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
If you look carefuly on the smash web page Sakurai infers the regular A smash attacks are gona be some other weapons. Like snake charges up for a second and then pulls out a rocket launcher or something. I think his down B move is gona be something with the box. Maybe like a marth and roy down B. If someone pulls off the box he blocks it and the opponent goes flying, or if you want to get out of the box then you pull the box off infront of your opponent and scare damage into them(that last part was a joke) but yea its gona do something with the box and will require skill to use it, I think.

any one got an opinion on this?

smashbot226

Smash Master
To Chepe:

1. Thank you for proving that land mine can be a remotely detonated BV.

2. If BV isn't his minezzz, then yeah, I could see the box as some sort of invincibility... box.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
How could the box be his crawling mechanism if he was sitting idly as Mario pulled it off? Unless he can slide on his butt. xD

If anything, my opinion is that the box is his specialized shield like Yoshi's egg, with one little perk. Instead of the opponents grabbing Snake out of a shield, they take off his box first, giving him more leverage than other characters to escape the pestering of persistent grapples.

Like most have already expressed, I agree that the down special is him setting a claymore and would act like a concealed motion sensor bomb has been a usable item in the past games.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
People would see him plant it, and just avoid it. Sounds like a weak move to me. And it would probably take a short stretch of time to plant it, how do you avoid getting attacked while planting it.

His CQC and grapple moves better make up for his b-moves...

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
As the battle progresses, nobody is going to remember where he planted them. They'll be more concerned with either running away to safety or chasing opponents.

I was rethinking my thoughts though. Maybe he could plant C4's into the ground and have as many of them as he can fit on the stage, and then do his taunt which would activate them. So if you go ballistic and plant them everywhere and reserve a safe spot for you, and blow the entire stage up, that'd be pretty darned sweet.

I have a feeling that his downward smash is the Rocket Launcher that acts like Samus' down A's controlled explosion with an insane knock back, like Mr. Game &Watch's man hole lift.

elwordo310

Smash Cadet
I think it will be a box thing that works like Marth and Roys down B. Any one who pulls off the box is vulnerable to being hit away.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be a box thing that works like Marth and Roys down B. Any one who pulls off the box is vulnerable to being hit away.
But he is sitting on his butt. How is he going to be a threat like that?

I really do think his Down B will be him planting C4's, and the box is his shield like Yoshi's personalized shield-egg. Yoshi's egg was unique by not just it's visual effects, but when you rolled, he was basically low enough to the ground to dodge projectiles, so in a ways, it was pretty unique. Snake's cardboard box would be unique that when he shields, characters can't grab him out of a shield first, because they'd have to grab the box before they can get to Snake, giving Snake time to dodge the grapple or counter.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
That has to be how the box works, because it kinda worked like that in the MGS games. An unsuspecting soldier would lift it up and snake would pop up and punch him in the face. The only thing thats different here is the other players know he is in the box...

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
Actually I think that one of his taunts will be the box (press once to get in the box and a second time to get out).

His down-B is probably the mine, becuse in the second trailer Snake is shown comboing Pit (or who ti was) and Snake shoote a RPG in the ground (like Mewtwo's down smash). I suspect it to be Snakes Smash down.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Le sigh. People havent been paying close attention to the videos and screenshots of Snake on the Dojo...

- Snake's shield is a normal bubble shield. He uses it against Mario in his video and in "Shielding and Dodging" it shows him using it a lot. He rolls around Pit in the Nintendo World Video in the same manner Shiek rolls when facing someone.

- Sakurai shows us his smash attacks before special attacks, and the Claymore is displayed. There should be NO DOUBT that its his down smash, especially after Lucas' special moves update that shows his A moves first.

- His box would fit nowhere else than Down B. Its a personal move that cannot be captured by any other available command (taunts are never strategical)...

His box is easily a defensive move, perhaps one that can be used to walk around and avoid large knockback hits or grabs once. That RPG he uses against Pit is likely his down tilt, a bit like Samus'. And the Claymore, is DEFINITELY a smash attack because Sakurai implies it. If it was down B, why the heck wasnt it listed as Down Special?

I also find it amazing that people are so quick to dismiss the mine as a good Smash attack... Ever thought of maybe using it on one of the edges and having the ultimate disjointed hitbox edgeguard?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
You've been keeping a watchful eye Muffins. <3

So now thats settled. I still wonder what his Down B is. Notice after he says "Kept you waiting, huh?" in his introduction, and he pulls out a remote and detonates something?

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Looks like Diddy Kong is a Peeping Tom.

I don't think Snake's taunt is JUST hiding in a box, I'm sure he does something else. Pop out perhaps?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
TAUNTS:
Up Taunt- It's Show Time! Gesture
Side Taunt- Remote Detonation [1]
Down Taunt- Cardboard Box

SPECIALS:
Up Special: Cypher
Side Special: Nikita
Down Special: ???
Standard: Grenade

SMASHES:
Up Smash: Anti-Air Missle
Side Smash: ???
Down Smash: Mine

ATTACKS:
A: Left Jab
AA: Left Jab + Right Jab
AAA: Left Jab + Right Jab + Back Kick
Dash A: Dive [2]
Side A: Left Jab
Side AA: Left Jab + Right Hook
Down A: Rocket Launcher
Up A: ???

AERIALS:
Air A: Side Kick
Air AA: Side Kick + Front Kick
Air AAA: Side Kick + Front Kick + Back Kick
Air AAAA: Side Kick + Front Kick + Back Kick + Axe Kick
-----------------------
Back Air: Back Kick

THROWS:
Forward Throw: ???
Up Throw: ???
Down Throw: Neck Snap

[1] Note: Explosive seen detonating when taunt is performed-- Also seen in [2].
[2] Seen in Nintendo Power Mag DEC 2007/ V222, page 50)

Ok, with that mentioned. I predict his side smash involves using a Stinger from Twin Snakes, since Sakurai implied that his smash moves have ordinance.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ahaha! Yeah, I will now proceed to eat my words... *munchcannotbeanothercommandmunch*

Down taunt most likely though no? Crazyness though, seems Snake is quite the unique character, with long distance smashes and now a seeming move in a taunt. I wonder if you will be able to move around in the box, we have seen him popping out of it and also getting it thrown off him...

Hmm Darky Dee, the side taunt being detonation makes sense, really! I wouldnt doubt it, makes more sense than a Down B that cant be used unless Down Smash was used first. But yeah, Im not gonna set myself up again. :embarrass

I guess anything's possible.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
Down-B could be his crawling.
You would roll into a crawl like in the later games of the series, it was a pretty effective attack.

See it here.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that Snake isn't the only one who uses the new crawling mechanic. Wario and Pikachu are seen crawling in different ways, and I don't think they got rid of Pikachu's down special, Thunder.

I conversed with Muffins last night about the possible fashion that crawling would be used. Character probably assumes the position of ducking/crouching by pressing down, and then you tilt the control stick at a downward angle to the side for them to transition into the crawl. To get up from a crawl, it's either you let go of the control stick's angle or you press up to retire the crawling position.

So with that stated, I'm still convinced that his down special is something we haven't seen yet.

As for the detonation taunt. I am wondering though, after you set the mine with the down smash, if and when nobody sets it off by stepping on it, could Snake then use the detonation taunt to set them off. Probably hitting a sweet spot if you timed it perfectly, sending the opponent on a first class flight to PWNT Land.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's what I'm contemplating on now. It would be awkward to have his down special to be C4s when he already has a mine move for his smash. I was thinking more along the lines that he triggers the mines to explode instead of his theoretical down special.

I can't wait to see his Final Smash. We've already seen Metal Gear REX and RAY in Shadow Mosses. I'm wondering what else could be so elaborate as a final smash.

One of my ideas is that he would jump in a Hind D from Twin Snakes and fly around the screen unloading a barrage of missiles for a set amount of time like Fox's Land Master, but airborne like Diddy Kong's final smash, shooting downward.

The other one would be the miniature version of Metal Gear RAY appears from MGS4 and follows him around for the duration of the battle acting as an assist character like Ice Climbers following character, Nana, or in some cases Popo, that shoots missiles and causes a decent amount of damage, until Snake is knocked out or the match is concluded.

The last one would be jumping into a Metal Gear and stomping your way around the stage being like Bowser's Giga Bowser transformation, but I think this is unlikely because Metal Gear RAY, REX, and the newer model are already seen or claimed to make an apperance in the Shadow Mosses stage.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
Les Enfants Terribles is what I'm hopping for.
All three of them in some joint attack as Big Boss Salutes in the background.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Acting similar to Pit's Final Smash? Running around the stage charging at opponents? I could see that, but for a third party character, I would have hoped for something more elaborate. )=

I just pictured Metal Gear REX popping on stage, and Liquid yelling "HELLO BROTHA! I GOT YOU!" and then a laser hits anyone directly below him, and homing missiles go everywhere else as Snake hides in his cardboard box.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Hell yes. I can see that too. After Liquid does that thing I mentioned, Solidus uses his tentacle things gain height and jump of Metal Gear REX after Liquid blasts everything fast, and Solidus slashes REX with his katanas, causing a major explosion.

napZzz

Smash Hero
there was absolutely no reason to bump my thread and i'm disappointed by the lack of funny responses that aren't in this thread

soif

Smash Rookie
I couldn't find a Q&A thread on this board, and I find a thread about double cyphering but it was locked and it didn't have this in the OP. So this seems like the best place to post it.

Anyway, this is probably old, but I used cypher on SV, cancelled it with bair, the cypher hit the balloon while still travelling up and I was able to use it again. I didn't grab the edge, and was in training mode so couldn't have been hit or footstooled. I tried this on Brinstar's destructable terrain and it didn't work.

So... Yeah. <_>

Top Bottom