• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYN: Episode 18 (11/04) - Very Scary Ruins

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Enjoy all the discussion and laid back humor that comes with the Roundtable? Well, you’re getting it every week from now on, as Show Me Your News pushes past 90 minutes this week!

Please note that since this episode is so long, the mp3 is at 64 kb/s so the filesize is managable, hence the decrease in sound quality.

The Summit, Classic Mode, and Stage Builder are discussed in addition to a Brawl Viewpoint on Brawl’s Tournament Mode! Plus, Mailtime covers 13 light-hearted questions which SamuraiPanda and Youko gladly answer!

achtung!

Smash Cadet
Whoa, hey guys! This is the first one of these I've listened to, but I really liked it. Pretty humorous and I learned some things I hadn't heard about before.

I'll be looking forward to the next one, and I might send in some questions or something.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Hey Youko, the Mr. Saturn tea table is just a tea table that is shaped like Mr. Saturn. Here's a vid that my friend found of Lucas and gang on the table. I like the new roundtable segment but feel it should just be called the rundown as it just fills the same role.

I'd post more frequently but I don't know what else to say then good job. Hope SamuraiPanda feels better because he sounded loopy this time through. Still good job.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Miyamoto is famous for "upending the tea table."

Balloon Fighter: I don't think that they'd put a character in this final game and not give him a stage.

Stage Builder: I am sure there will be unlockable backgrounds, and probably unlockable pieces and/or sizes and features (like moving stages, building backgrounds for blocks, timing, keynotes, and triggers, etc.).

I agree about the bashing of competitive players; it's pretty stupid.

As for Nintendo stopping online support for Brawl... well it's possible that you could reroute your Wii to another host. Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II for GameCube, Star Wars: Galaxies for PC, etc. can be rerouted to fan-hosted servers. Wii hacking is pretty far along, actually. Actually, that could possibly work in with the stage builder...

Ladders: "What could you possibly do with a ladder than you couldn't do with jumping?" You could possibly regain your jumps from grabbing a ladder; aka jumping from a ladder. Most platform games do that already.

Subspace Emissary: The word you are looking for is "ambassador." Oh, and I liked the name. :-P *Eventually* Oh hey, you got it!

Nintendo's next console: I agree it'd be sad if there was no VR in the next generation. And you joke about the smell, but it was ALMOST done. One of the Tomb Raider games was gonna support it. Happened during the PSX/N64 era. What was it called, again...? Well it did it using a few different aromatic oils. I've got some awesome ideas for Nintendo's next consoles...

Wow, Blue's Clues is actually retro to someone?

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Great episode. Thanks for the mention, guys. Appreciate it.

MAN, this salami and chicken+ coleslaw sandwich is tasty!

Wednesday's Child

Smash Rookie
The entire reason that the Ice Climbers were climbing the mountain was to get back their stolen vegetables. That's why they're up there... Pretty random.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... yeah what happened to the good old days when smashboards was a place for competitive or serious smashers? I mean seriously, when I joined I had nothing but respect for the people who had mastery over the technical aspects of Melee... a mastery I knew nothing about until I read about it on smashboards, and slowly learned it over time. (Well, much of it, there's always more to learn.)

I guess maybe I've always been a competitive player, even when I was still all scrubby and didn't know much about the game, but the point is, there didn't used to be so much hate flying around. If you're new, respect the people who know what they're doing. Just because there's a crazy number of new people, doesn't mean that they suddenly control everything, and we have to do things their way.

What's this about SMYN practically bending over backwards to cater to the "casual player." That's fine, be nice and include them if you will... but people, you if you are spending time on a website for a fighting video game, that means you are either "hardcore," or wasting your time. Don't expect people to dumb down their vocabulary for you. Read up on stuff... learn. Ask for help if you need it.

Anyway, I agree with some of the stuff Youko and SamuraiPanda were saying about this subject. It's ridiculous. None of the negativity against n00bs that I've seen, has been unprovoked. It's like a bunch of Nsiders have invaded smashboards. I don't really care if you think I'm being Elitist, because you're wrong. I'm just angry at stupid people. (If you're offended by that, than you know my accusations are correct.)

Oh, well... I guess there will always be annoying n00bs to impede progressive discussion. Poor, poor people who want to learn how to be awesome at smash... they will have to burrow through many layers of rock before they strike gold.

BTW, Youko and SamuraiPanda, I'm one of those people you accused of being a silent listener, and you have my apologies. I think the show is great. I really liked how the show was before the change, but you won't find me crying about the new format. It's fine, and I understand how any creative project takes a lot more time and energy than it seems. So... keep it up! And you know how some casuals have been requesting you make it casual friendly? Well, is it OK if I request that you make it "competitive friendly" instead? Ha no, you do a decent job at balancing it, but of course I would like your undiluted opinions to weigh in a little more. I'll probably send a question or topic your way sometime too.

Peace.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Burning Lava, I know why so many n00bs are invading here: http://forums.nintendo.com/

I liked this week's SMYN. It was cool how you spent so much time discussing even the ones that were "cut", but it was kind of time wasting for you guys to answer 13 random questions, causing the episode to be over an hour and a half long. Other than that, it was great.

J89Marth

Smash Rookie
smash boards

You guys really let me down with all the dumb questions why dont you just stick with the smash questions instead of the ramdom question that have nothing to do with smash bros.
Otherwise it was a good show and hope you guys can start talking about the character that have been talked about like captain falcon luigi, why is sakurai taking so long to show them of? Maybe they have new move set i dont know but you guy should me talking about these characters and why they might have changed or something

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Hmm... yeah what happened to the good old days when smashboards was a place for competitive or serious smashers? I mean seriously, when I joined I had nothing but respect for the people who had mastery over the technical aspects of Melee... a mastery I knew nothing about until I read about it on smashboards, and slowly learned it over time. (Well, much of it, there's always more to learn.)

I guess maybe I've always been a competitive player, even when I was still all scrubby and didn't know much about the game, but the point is, there didn't used to be so much hate flying around. If you're new, respect the people who know what they're doing. Just because there's a crazy number of new people, doesn't mean that they suddenly control everything, and we have to do things their way.

What's this about SMYN practically bending over backwards to cater to the "casual player." That's fine, be nice and include them if you will... but people, you if you are spending time on a website for a fighting video game, that means you are either "hardcore," or wasting your time. Don't expect people to dumb down their vocabulary for you. Read up on stuff... learn. Ask for help if you need it.

Anyway, I agree with some of the stuff Youko and SamuraiPanda were saying about this subject. It's ridiculous. None of the negativity against n00bs that I've seen, has been unprovoked. It's like a bunch of Nsiders have invaded smashboards. I don't really care if you think I'm being Elitist, because you're wrong. I'm just angry at stupid people. (If you're offended by that, than you know my accusations are correct.)

Oh, well... I guess there will always be annoying n00bs to impede progressive discussion. Poor, poor people who want to learn how to be awesome at smash... they will have to burrow through many layers of rock before they strike gold.

BTW, Youko and SamuraiPanda, I'm one of those people you accused of being a silent listener, and you have my apologies. I think the show is great. I really liked how the show was before the change, but you won't find me crying about the new format. It's fine, and I understand how any creative project takes a lot more time and energy than it seems. So... keep it up! And you know how some casuals have been requesting you make it casual friendly? Well, is it OK if I request that you make it "competitive friendly" instead? Ha no, you do a decent job at balancing it, but of course I would like your undiluted opinions to weigh in a little more. I'll probably send a question or topic your way sometime too.

Peace.
The Nsiders did invade Smash boards if I remember right :laugh: (nothing against them.)

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
I started listening to the podcast the one before this and I enjoyed both of them thoroughly. I might not agree with everything that you guys say, but at least you back up your points. Most of it I totaly concur, but just talking about "pros" makes me laugh. Heck the concept of "Pro" gamers makes me laugh.

But great podcast, I don't know what it was like before, bu the round table it fun. Although I really think you should stick with 3 people rather than 2, you get more view points that way.

Keep up the good work, and as I put in the App for that writing postition, I dugg the podcast on Digg, so you were up to 5 diggs now! Slowly but surely working your way up there!

SeanW

Smash Cadet
For the Tourney players I'm gonna admit, I consider myself a casual player. I don't really pay any mind to how tournament players play, I just think the way they play to be honest is insane (In a good way). I'll admit I think some things I hear from them is kinda silly, but that's just me. Still I'm not gonna bash 'em too hard. And if they have a problem with how I play I say "Well that's what you say. I like playing with this character/this way."

All I gotta say though, two letters: E-D

Encyclopedia Dramatica just tore tournament players APART! Oh my.... x_x;

EDIT:

Also I looked up Emissary, it's mainly an agent sent to do the work of another or something.

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
well i consider myslef casual, i have no hate for competitive players i actually just envy them because you have to be really good to be one. I agree that people should stop downing others simply because they spend alot of time doing what they love doing. anyway its the more negative members causing these fights.

great episode...i know i listened too it a week late....but ive been busy ill catch this evenings though.

i think emissarys are like mercenary recruiters... in WoW you can find them in cities and enter a battlefield. so maybe subspace is at war with our smash friends or with someone else......

Top Bottom