• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYN: Episode 15 (10/14) - Feeling Blue

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Feeling down about the delay? But still excited for Sonic? Can’t get enough of gameplay video analysis? This episode of Show Me Your News is for you, dropping an almost hour-and-a-half-long episode on the community!

Snapshots, Sonic, and the Delay o’ Doom are discussed in addition to a Brawl Viewpoint on Trophies! Plus, “Roundtable” is an hour long covering gameplay videos and E for All anticipations!

Florida

イーグランツ
Ninety minutes?! Holy crap, let's get crackin'!

The Rundown:

Zero Suit Samus: Special Moves... no down-b. =(
Seriously, that specific special is probably the one that the Smash community was looking forward to the most. And what's even worse is that Zamus' special moves are rather... pointless. I mean, two tether recoveries? Bleh! But, I admit, the paralyzer is rather cool.

But with the reporters from different gaming sites giving us some hands-on info from the demo they've been playing, we know that Zamus' super is getting her armor back and producing a minimal affecting ray / beam. Again, rather disappointing. But that does answer some questions! Now there's a little more chance of knowing that we'll be able to start off as Zamus in the beginning of a match. Hurray for reporters!

Kirby's Final Smash turned out to be a little different than what the E3 2006 trailer made it seem. I thought that it'd focus on one character, cooking them in the pot, then sucking them up to copy their Final Smash ability. Yes! We need the extra epicness of such!

But hey, this version of Kirby's Final Smash works just as fine! =P
And about the DS Kirby Cooking game featured on the Japan version of the site: I thought that was just advertisement? I didn't know the lyrics were "let's make Smash Bros.!". Interesting.... haha!

Ashley's Theme was a song which I leaned both ways to. It was good in the way that I thought it sounded pretty awesome (yes, the US version as well), and bad in the way that the US Ashley didn't even fit the 9 year old girl we know and love. So, I'm sort of in between with this song. Sort of... "meh".

Proof of taking Snapshots while in a normal match made my day! I just hated it when something either extremely cool or funny were to occur in a match and you weren't able to take a snapshot for the memory. All of the snapshots that I took in Melee are all mostly planned, since most of the time nothing exciting ever happens in camera mode. Brawl is seriously just exceeding Melee into infinity!

Oh, and I loved Mario's face in that certain screen shot. I've even requested that Gypsy Lee make a signature out of it, hehe! As for the Kirby screen, that was my second choice as the stock =]. And that blurred-out pinkish button, yeah, that's "record match" :p or maybe not. Taking reference to the "maybe online gaming isn't the only way to compete" quote, maybe they're trying to create some sort of photo-rating system? Sort of similar to Pokémon Snap? Who knows?

Sonic.the.Hedgehog.!
Oh, delay? Ehhh... >.>

But seriously, what an exciting update on Wednesday! I mean, whose stomach DIDN'T drop when you saw the smile on the "blue blur's" face? Very awesome! Plus, the two videos that we got were superb. ESPECIALLY the "Nintendo Fall Press Conference 2007" "Sonic Joins the Brawl!" video ;]. The "Live and Learn" song was so pwnful and inspiring, that I just had to make it the song for my myspace page! =S

As for Sonic's special moves-- as expected they resolve around the spin dash. I mean, that was just too predictable. But it was nice to see Sonic's third jump being the spring, that fit really perfectly if you ask me!

Lastly, the delay works well for me. I wouldn't of had enough time to save up money to get a Wii + the game at release. Now that the date has been pushed back about two months I'll have enough money to start the fun with the majority of you guys (first day of release). But, that's more of a selfish reason. Here's a "bright-side" reason: more time into the game means more of what comes out. Quality for.the.win.!

RoundTable:

It's so odd going from your crystal clear voice to something smoggy and choppy. But oh well, no johns! Second episode of RoundTable, awesome!

The game speed does seem a little faster, and I'm pretty glad that the game is taking its roots more from SSB64, which is the better game out of the two we have now, in my opinion. The character intros being back is one of the things that I'm sure everyone noticed first. Very awesome. But SP is right, when it's four players everything happens too fast to notice.

And, isn't Snake's intro the "kept you waiting, huh?" thing we saw in his video? Alternative intros, Samurai? Now we're thinking! :p

The announcer is VERY awesome! I like change usually, and this announcer completely surpasses Melee's! I just can't get over that "Sudden Death--GO!" ridiculous narration. Very awesome, very attractive. Sakurai's done right with this one! Mmhmm!

Norfair was a nice selection for a Metroid stage representative. Although you can see how it relates to past Metroid stages, there's just some sort of unique and original feel to it that just makes you love it. It's also nice to see a new setup with the platforms instead of the basic one on top, two on bottom sides style. The lava-waves is a nice touch as well.

I agree with the both of you that the character and stage select screen is very clean and awesome. I especially love the stage select-- the Melee version seemed so unorganized and just crammed together. I also love how we get a bigger view of what the stage looks like to the left of the screen, very useful for some first time players!

And the darkening background after obtaining of smash ball = FATALITY!!

The AI was actually pretty advanced for a level 3. The lower levels are meant to be easy, for those players who aren't as skilled as some others. But the AI only seems to be flawed in recovery (as meant to be for lowered levels). Hopefully this means that level 9 computers will be someone of a human-thinking challenge this time around. Just in case someone can't reach access to WiFi.

I agree, the transitions between the different sections of the Castle Seige was random and rather disappointed. And I would much rather have that part be full-on aerial, it would've been awesome if you could just dair + DI yourself across the screen.

As for alternate costumes / colors, they were all exellent! Albino DK, Fire Flower Mario, Dark Link, etc. etc. etc..

Nice discussion on the Final Smashes and balancing, guys. That was really interesting to listen to, and I agree with mostly all of it. Final Smashes are indeed Sakurai's way of balancing out characters, and as you said Youko: if you're asking for no supers in matches, then you're asking for God Tier Metaknight / Sonic.

Zelda's, PT's, and Lucas' exclusion from the demo was rather disappointing. So many questions could've been answered if they were included into.

For the demo problem: someone suggested that they could include the demo in the Super Mario Galaxy game. That'd give both Nintendo and us what we wanted =P

[2 minutes later:] Right, what SP said >.<

... o.o news? BIG, news?
Tri-membered RoundTable? Very awesome!

The RoundTable was awesome this week! In a non-offensive comment, it was much more enjoyable than last time's version (which was still awesome btw!)! I really don't think you should have any set time, just go on and talk in detail the way you guys do until you're finished. Don't rush, but don't slug either. Just be normal with it all.

Awesome job guys! ;)

Brawl Viewpoint:

W00t! Loser's turn =)

Lighting simply mean positioning and brightness / contrast of the light!

Huh... unlocking regular trophies to involve more Assist Trophies would be a cool idea, actually. And, wasn't the main boss of Melee Giga Bowser? o.O

Nice sticker entrance comment, made me laugh :p
Sorry about the lack of a long review, but there really wasn't much to critique on. I agreed with most of you, and with that there's not much to comment on.

Sweet job, Loser! :p

Easteregg:

Brawl rules! Yeah...

Can't wait for next week, Youko!
Good job everyone! ;o

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Wow. First of all I can't believe you said my name right hahah Thank you for that. Ugh, That was amazing ofcourse I'm going to have to blame you two for my homework not getting done.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
You were right it was a massive week. That explains the really long podcast. Maybe next week will be as long if not longer because of E for All but if you're just running on 5 updates then I highly doubt it could go for 86 minutes. Haha. So yeah this episode, it was pretty awesome. I feel like it was funny and random how like "Here wth am I talking about? I'm in Michigan" and all that stuff. haha. More of that random comedy please. Can't wait to vote for the 3rd roundtable member. And now that you've mentioned it, you 2 guys "meshed" very well. Oh and at the end the trophy talk was kinda boring. Sorry but I liked the music. Just cause of underOATH but oh well. So yeah keep it up and I can't wait for the next episode!

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
Oh and I'm gonna be honest and say that your conversations with your roommate are better than your random end music outros. Just putting that out there. I mean without those conversations we wouldn't have Kirby Chief.

KidHellion

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I heard Sonic's neutral B was the homing attack, at least in the air. IGN (or, at least, one of those reviews) said that, when using it in the air, Sonic launched himself at the nearest enemy and comboed him/her/it in his ball form.

vinternet

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be surprised if the transitions between areas on the Fire Emblem stage were not finalized yet. Having the random transition would be a easy, glitch-free code to write for a demo that needed to be playable. But Sakurai's posts on the Castle Siege update say that the
"The floor shatters and everyone falls into the castle!"
The screenshot of them falling into the underground also makes it look more like they're falling and less like they're standing.

Of course, he could just be exaggerating his claims to sound cooler than the stage actually is, but I'm holding out hopes that a) the transitions will be much more natural in the final game, and b) that they were purposely timed to come quickly for the demo so that everyone would see each part.

GoldRoger

Smash Rookie
Cool podcast, keep up w/ the good work, Youko

btw, I really enjoy that song that you guys kinda mixed (Brawl Main Theme) and is always playing at the end of each podcast.. maybe u could tell us where to download it, ya know..

bye !

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Another excellent job. Well done, Yuoko.

The one thing I very strongly disagree with you about is your mindset of FSes being certain characters "balance key". To me, that just seems like the easy way out of programming and balancing them. I don't think that's the route Sakurai and Sora are taking. It does make sense, but then they shouldn't need those extra two months of programming. They can just leave the good characters good, and the terrible characters terrible, and just give them terrible or awesome FSes (respectively).

I'm stoked 101% for seeing Smash Balls in competitive play, but why shouldn't every character be balanced out without them? This thought process of yours is respectable, but brings back the one thing from SSB64/Melee that I'm hoping to see less of in Brawl: Tier Distinction. I'm not saying that all characters should or will be evenly balanced, but they should all be close enough to each other, preferrably with everybody in Middle or High Tier, that each FS should be equally advantageous to a character. I'm not in the mood to be turned off to a good character because of their terrible FS, or to be attracted to a horrible character for their godly FS, or to have anyone else feel that way. And especially since it would catch onto large-scale attitudes, thus having the entire Smash Community gravitate towards one or two characters SOLELY (much like we have now with Fox and Falco in Melee).

Balance should not come out through items, it should come out through the characters. And the overall greatness of a character should be utilized through the player him/herself. I want to see the community have to actually find their main through preferring their moveset or just because they like their character, as opposed to it just being highlighted who's the best for them from the start of their Brawl experience by how awesome their ultimate move is.

Falco's my best character too, and even though I did find out he was my best before I ever found out about tiers, I don't like always coming up against new competition that's Fox or Falco or Marth or Sheik. It gets boring. And even though I do love playing as Link, Ness, Kirby, and Ganondorf, who are and always will be my favorite characters in the series and I will main ALWAYS (though Ness might have been replaced... but that's not really important right now), it's disheartening that they have the hardest time keeping up with the rest of the Smashers on their own. It shouldn't be that way. The Smash Community should go by personal preference when picking a main, and not have to rely on what everyone says is the best character. Great kudos to Taj, Gimpy, and Bum for maining and tearing people up with hands-down the worst characters in the game. But if the line-up for Brawl is going to be diverse, then so should the community as well.

Insane movesets (Final Smashes included) that put characters on High Tiers should not govern a player's personal preference. I believe that if every character and every FS is more-or-less on an even plain, then the game will be a far better experience for everyone.

(In short, just think of it this way: going on Wi-Fi and KNOWING you're probably going to be playing a Bowser because Giga Bowser ultimately turns out to be the most broken FS and then getting taunted with "HAHA! You can't beat Giga! Best move in the game! Main him n00b!", as opposed to signing on, not knowing WHAT character(s) you'll probably be facing that day, and then having someone beat you with anyone because they were a good fighter, PERIOD. Then, of course, having them just say: "Good game."
Seriously, which one of those scenarios is a bit less aggrivating?)

EDIT:
Oh, and what about for the matches that items (including Smash Balls) are turned off? If characters are balanced through their FSes, and the Smash Ball isn't around, then it wouldn't be considered a "balanced game", now would it? (You know those matches will be out there.)

But other than that... yep, I agree with everything you guys said. :chuckle:
GJ Yuoko and GJ Panda. Keep up the good work. See you on the boards (and hopefully on Brawl!)

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
I would like to say that this podcast = win.

Most of the time when I'm chatting with friends, I'll want to bring up Brawl..but not a lot of my friends are into that sort of thing. So? I tune into Show Me Your News. Kind of sucks that I can't respond back, because I'm usually thinking ''Oh ****, I was thinking of that same thing'' or ''Wonder What Their Opinions Are On Crazy Hand and Master Hand?'' etc. etc.

Can't wait for the next Podcast, since this is the next thing I anticipate for next to Brawl.

Hyrulean21

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you guys do a great job, I enjoyed taking time out of my day to listen to this, it was my first one. Being a recording engineer, I'm curious how you guys record these podcast sessions. Youko sounds fine, but when the roundtable began, the sound quality significantly dropped, almost to the point of me not listening to it. So I'm curious, how are the recordings done? I understand its hard being in different states and all, but I can think of several methods of doing it with much better quality, if you are interested (you asked for constructive criticism).

Top Bottom