• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode IV - Evolution

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It is amazing to see how far along the community has come. Precision, mind games, and technical prowess have all surged even in the last couple years with Brawl on the horizon. Today, I am going to show some of the contrasts between a match from 2005 and one from 2007.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMrgv8xQCqE">Husband (Marth) vs Isai (Captain Falcon)</a> - the old sample
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWJj6AzHCHY"> Mew2King (Marth) vs PC Chris (Captain Falcon)</a> - the new sample

In both matches, Captain Falcon defeats Marth (2 stock) on Pokemon Stadium in three minutes, so they are excellent specimens for this analysis (sorry for the early spoiler, but hey, they even have identical colors!). Let us break out the smash microscope, shall we?<!--more-->

First, look at the most obvious differences: the KO methods. In the old sample, Falcon KO’d Marth three times with the forward-air (the knee) and once with up-air. Marth KO’d Falcon both times with a forward-smash. These are pretty standard KO tactics. Most everyone focuses on setting their opponents up to be hit with their most powerful attacks. However, take a look at the new sample! Falcon KO’d Marth once with a down-air meteor, once with an up-tilt, and twice with the light shield edge-hog trick (custom fit for edge-guarding Marth). Marth KO’d Falcon once with a tipper (perfectly placed forward-smash) and once with an aerial attack (to interrupt Falcon’s recovery) followed by an edge-hog. How interesting is that? The old match featured very run-of-the-mill power KO setups, but the more recent one featured KOs that require much more precision to execute. The latter examples were much less forgiving and demonstrated how far the players have come in recent years. Husband and Isai tended to shy away from the edge as the opponent recovered since ledge-hops are so dangerous. PC Chris and Mew2King preferred to horde the edges in hopes of gimping the opponent. (A “gimp” is a KO that generally disregards how much damage the victim has, so it can be done even if the opponent has little or no damage. PC Chris ‘gimped’ Mew2King twice with the shield trick.)

Next, observe the amount of technical accuracy the players had. Actually, check out the difference in approaches in both matches! The 2005 match featured many SHFFL’d neutral-airs in hopes of nicking the opponent to start a combo. Isai failed a short-hop. Husband missed many attack opportunities (primarily grabs). In the 2007 match, both players went crazy with dash dance grabs and aerials. The mind games are just so much more evolved today

Brawl will most definitely follow similar trends. After a year or two, the community at large will more than likely assume they have “hit the top”, but soon after, there will be more breakthroughs. Tactics thought to be broken will become easily blockable, low tier characters will have outbreak players, and the game will radically change overall as new styles are developed and refined.

(Pardon the absence of SmashTV last weekend. Thanksgiving was wonderfully fulfilling, and the break from school was much needed.)

mcs

Smash Cadet
the way I see it brawl has great advantages towards competitive play. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what pro smashers will be able to do in brawl!

ps: anyone think that the dojo might update with some more techniques? i thought the footstool jump was just made of WIN! same for flying.

hakurodoshi

Smash Rookie
Man, I remember whn I feared 9lvl coms... sniff, good times
Anyway, I hope they keep Brawl as flexible as in Melee.
Being an IC player, I'm drooling of thinking what will become of desynch!!

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Wow, this was a great blog! I've been looking at these video posts for the last several weeks, and this one has definitely been the best. I'm not a competitive player really, but your analysis of the fights was really interesting and made the matches very fun to watch. I suppose understanding what's really going on helps to appreciate the hardcore players' technical skills in the game, even if I would never care to reach that level. But anyway, great job on this one!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
wow Buzz, I usually just skim over smash TV but I was intrigued by the subject matter. I thought you were going to do the evolvution of a select gamer but it still worked. Quite interesting just to see the addition of advanced techniques in the combat situation.

yuki

Smash Apprentice
you're totally right Buzz. It's amazing how much the way people play competitive smash these days. I think it's a huge step forward in the fighting genre that people are able to create games that are this flexible.

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
sorry this is very off subject but im hoping if we talk enough about sake amamiya(from sin and punishment),,that sakuri will change him into a playble character (this is someone who doesn't even like people with guns in games)

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
sorry this is very off subject but im hoping if we talk enough about sake amamiya(from sin and punishment),,that sakuri will change him into a playble character (this is someone who doesn't even like people with guns in games)
Why would Masahiro Sakurai be browsing a fan forum written into English...? Why would he listen to you anyways ?

Anyways, very neat detail into this. I am getting to like this Smash TV a lot more.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Yet again, as your former Smash Tv episodes, this is one is awesome and made of win.

Indeed, the evolution is quite amazing... Hence why when Brawl comes around I'm gonna start hardcore practicing right from the start so that I can hopefully achieve a professional level in that game sometime in the future.

Great episode, Buzz! Keep up the good work! Thumbs up!

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
i think brawl wont be better than melee, but nice observation, y not giving chances to the new game?, of course, lets see what happen.. Nice observation and interesting topic..

Top Bottom