• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode III - Coming Soon to a Wii Near You

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Friday’s <a href="http://smashboards.com/blog/2007/11/16/brawl-a-true-spectator-sport/">DOJO update</a> really put a spin on the whole concept of “SmashTV”. On February 10, the smash community will indeed experience SmashTV as if it were part of their cable TV subscription.

When initially speculating about this feature, I had great fears about its effects on lag between the participating players. I somewhat opposed the idea thanks to my poor Internet connection (it lags enough as it is). Nintendo, however, came up with such an elegant solution. The DOJO states: “This mode is a service where Nintendo uses Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to send the data for games played between other people to every Smash household.” Well, why did I not think of that? By having the server set aside copies of the match data, spectators can view the match streaming from a secondary source (perhaps a couple seconds behind), and this will have no effect on the match participants. Well done, Nintendo! (On a side note, I like how the DOJO is starting to use more casual terminology. “Smash household…” Clever.)

So, now, instead of doing my homework in silence (I have no cable TV subscription), I will most certainly have Brawl matches running in the background. This brings to light a few questions, though: Can matches be viewed one after the other with no input from the spectator (as if it were a TV channel)? Will spectators have to click “Find Match” between each match? Considering these matches use the basic “smash data” compression, will spectators be able to save replays on the fly if they see something cool happen? (That would add huge value to the spectator function. Being able to pick out tactics done by others would be fantabulousasticerrific.) Can the matches be buffered so as to ensure a smooth viewing?

This feature will define the future of SmashTV. Obviously, we will supply a variety of video content until Brawl is actually released, but I can already foresee the way things will be run. Even if the spectator function does not allow the saving of replays (*shudders*), burning a few hours of footage onto DVD would not be so bad.

Another big question to ask: Can a specific match be viewed? While the system would be OK without this little add-on, it would be <em>really </em>cool if it were possible to at least view matches being played by players in your friend list. The DOJO update makes it clear that no names will be displayed (slightly paranoid but understandable), but it would be nice to at least see friends duking it out.

Now for some far-fetched speculation. Imagine being able to play a game locally (all players physically present at one Wii) but having the match data transmitted for spectators to tune into. <em>This </em>would be the pinnacle of all spectator functions. Two pro smashers sit down for the final set in a huge tournament, and the entire smash community tunes in to see it happening live. Granted, this would lead to unique issues such as the Nintendo servers taking a beating (and possibly going down), but the matches themselves would be unaffected. Theoretically, it could just buffer the match data and transmit it whenever the connection is available.? Imagine being able to watch these matches <em>as they were happening</em>:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzB-iGwF8wU">Ken (Marth) vs KoreanDJ (Sheik)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowKCUQX4v4">PC Chris (Fox) vs Mew2King (Marth)</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMrgv8xQCqE">Isai (CFalcon) vs Husband (Marth)</a> - CLASSIC
However it turns out, I see a bright future for SmashTV here at Smash World Forums!

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
I hope you can watch matches your friends are in. That way every one will have the pros added and we can all watch there games even when we cant make it to a tournament!

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
keep it up buzz keep it up..... ya KDJ is nastyy, but i like his fox alot better. He has the fastest fox i ever seen Also m2k's marth poops on Ken's i would like 2 c that ditto

_Slick_

Smash Ace
I hope you can watch matches your friends are in. That way every one will have the pros added and we can all watch there games even when we cant make it to a tournament!
That's IF we can have unlimited Friend Codes. The Pros aren't going to use space for random people.

Great article. I never looked at it this way.

Florida

イーグランツ
Awesome! Great job Buzz! ;)

It's too bad that Sakurai wasn't all too specific and detailed with this update. Will we be able to view friends matches? As Dyce said, do we HAVE to bet? What is the deal with the stickers?

I like how they did this though, having Nintendo's own server and all.
This seems like a fun mode for people who just enjoy watching matches. Also it can be more than just a coin betting system ;)

Can't wait for more, Buzz!
Mr. Writer ;o

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
Randofu recently made a thread about drinking games from this game mode, and I thought it was an amazing idea, not to mention fun. There's just so much you could do with something like this.

As for the localization idea... I think it would compromise Nintendo's whole "anonymity" plan. Although it would be freaken awesome, tapping into competition matches and the like could give away who the players are (regardless if the players are still only labeled as "Player #"), especially if the players are known for specific characters. Though, I would LOVE if the idea materialized. :)

Congrats on the Writer title!

king_neeso

Smash Apprentice
the more i see this mode the more i think it will be ok. i wont be glued to this one cos who buys a game to watch other people play it. it would be good when your sleepy and not in the mood to play it. or you get friends around and really gamble on it lol.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
I don't know where people are getting this "Watching live matches" thing from. I read the after as, "After your game, the game data will be stored, and may occasionally be sent to Nintendo for use in this mode."

Regardless, you have some good ideas there.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don't know where people are getting this "Watching live matches" thing from. I read the after as, "After your game, the game data will be stored, and may occasionally be sent to Nintendo for use in this mode."

Regardless, you have some good ideas there.
If Nintendo really can save the match data for the entire match, it makes me wonder why we can only save 3 minutes worth. >_>

CGCGrayfox

Smash Journeyman
When the game is uploaded to nintendo first, they got storage. The wii's internal memory is pretty weak. I bet you it has something to do with that. Plus Smash 4 is got to have something new XD!

Top Bottom