• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing like a pro

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I have noticed a stigma I sympathize with but believe is entirely misunderstood. I see so many people write off the smash options of our favorite Duo.

This thread is not for discussing how the smashes are terrible or risky. I want to discuss set ups and punishes that open up the smashes.

My firm belief is that the smashes are very under utilized due to the problems attached to them. There are much safer options and this has conditioned the meta, both as and against Duck Hunt, to largely dismiss the smashes.

This leaves us with an opportunity in many cases for ambush smashes. The questions are how we set the trap, where we do it, and what % is optimal?

Personally I like the opponent who is hell bent on dash attacking my can or Gunmen. With proper spacing a charged F smash can kill at medium high %. In FG many people don't seem to understand that the range increases. It can be a nasty trick. I think f smash behind can is a decent mix up if used sparingly.

I still largely avoid up smash and d smash. I think if you play a gabby physical style you can open up spot dodges for a dash up smash. I haven't tested it much. As for down smash I think spacing it for the second hit to connect from behind is more effective than trying to connect from the first hit. Back towards the ledge it can be a good kill option. I've had minor success catching landings and punishing recoveries that lack ledge snap.

How do you utilize the smashes? What about charged smashes and can shots simultaneously? Am I wrong for thinking there is a vast amount of untapped potential?

Dawangthang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dawangthang
You basically want to utilize f smash to catching landings and reading rolls. Up smash is good for punishing air dodge punishes if you're running towards them, and d smash is good for covering rolls or landings if you aren't sure if they'll cross you up. D and Up smash also don't lag that much so you can use them to bait an approach and then shield or dodge their attack. F smash will guaranteed kill at the ledge around 80% and up smash should kill starting at 110%. These are for medium weights. Down smash will start killing around 125% center stage.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
Not sure if I mentioned this in another thread. Edge guarding with forward smash is easily the best tactic in utilizing fsmash. It's extended range can catch victims off guard who happen to be falling and trying to get under the stage from a distance.

Quite a few times I will distract a falling enemy with the can, force a air dodge while immediately charging a fsmash. One the air dodge animation is done it usually connects.

When I have some extra time I'll do more practicing. Duck hunt is notoriously hard to land TRUE smash combos.

Top Bottom