• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCAP 4: Typing Submissions

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
[SmashCAP 4]
Start date: 8/1/10
End date: --/--/--
Concept: Sunnyside Up

Terywj said:
Concept: Sunnyside Up
Analysis: Face it. Sunny Day sucks in the OU metagame. Sandstorm has Tyranitar, and benefits a bunch of appropriate Pokemon. Hail has Abomasnow and to a lesser extent Walrein, Froslass, and Mamoswine. Rain became a dominant force by Kingdra itself, and not only that but there are more viable sweepers under the Rain such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, etc. The problem with Sunny Day is that the benefits are just too wrongly distributed. Grass-types who through Cholorphyll benefit the most from Sunny Day and Solarbeam are absolutely murdered by the 50% boost in Fire-type attacks. The Fire-type Pokemon who enjoy the said boost will also gain a 50% resistance to Water-type attacks, but lack the Speed increase. How could we craft such a Pokemon so that it gains the benefits of Sunny Day, while keeping it viable in the metagame?
Extra: Taking note, this is basically a "Kingdra in the Sun" concept. A Pokemon who through typing, ability, and stats would be able to fully abuse the weather and benefits of Sunny Day.
Discuss typing or typing combinations you would like to see SmashCAP 4 have here. Substance is required in your post. Any idea you have should be well thought-out and explained in proper detail. Mention the benefits of such a typing, the drawbacks of such a typing, how effective would such a typing be given other common OU Pokemon, etc. Once alotted time is up, all final submissions will be polled upon.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
fire/grass

i don't think we really need an explanation but i'll give one

fire/grass are the the two types that benefit from sunny day, so might as well make him a fire/grass pokemon. it allows him to have any ability that benefits from the sun and have a movepool that compliments it as well.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
My problem with Fire/Grass for a concept like this is that it'll likely be played out to just be a one-trick pony. The Sunny Day Pokemon should probably be as versatile as can be to really give this specific weather condition what it needs to function well.

Just my opinion of course.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
My problem with Fire/Grass for a concept like this is that it'll likely be played out to just be a one-trick pony. The Sunny Day Pokemon should probably be as versatile as can be to really give this specific weather condition what it needs to function well.
That one specific weather condition is sunny man. This is why we're going with SunnySide Up

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Grass / Dragon

Offense [Both types]
Supereffective - Rock, Ground, Water, Dragon
Not Very Effective - Bug. Dragon, Fire, Flying, Grass, Poison, Steel
Immune - Shedinja

SmashCAP 4 under Grass / Dragon would have key supereffective hits against Ground, Water, and Dragon-types. This keeps bulky waters like Suicune and Vaporeon at bay, while hitting Flygon, Dragonite, and Kingdra, the other Dragon-types of OU. Grass-type STAB is helpful because it crushes Tyranitar. Tyranitar is a stop to Sunny Day because Tyranitar eats up the boosted Fire-type attacks easily. This leaves a bit to wish for against Skarmory, however. A Fire-type move may be desired to gain a Sunny Day boost against enemy Steel-types.

Defense [Both types]
Immune - None
Not Very Effective - Electric, Grass, Ground, Water
Supereffective - Bug, Flying, Ice, Poison, Dragon
*Takes 1/8 damage from Stealth Rock

Resistances to three common attacking types is helpful. SmashCAP 4 could switch into Thunderbolt, Earthquake, and Surf / Hydro Pump with ease and threaten out. However, weaknesses (4x) to Ice-types are not appreciated. Having Grass-type STAB scares away bulky Water-types who intend to switch in and Ice Beam SmashCAP 4 into oblivion. Another notable comment about Grass / Dragon is that Fire-type attacks hit for neutral damage. Fire-types hoping to abuse the boost wouldn't be doing as much damage as they would want against SmashCAP 4.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yay for someone posting one of the two typings I was thinking of.

There is a problem though. Heatran. You get serious 4- moveslot syndrome because of him.

When I get home I'll type up my other idea. Hopefully no one else mentions it before then...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
SmashCAP 4 has a hard counter? Good.
When your hard counter is the same thing as what you're trying to keep from beating your face in, not so good.

You know, because it would really suck to set up Sunny Day only to get met by a ShucaTran.

Top Bottom