• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Future Update Discussion

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Ultimate gets updated a lot. Characters change. Nerfs, buffs, bug fixes, etc.
Anyhoo, how do you guys feel about the current meta and the characters? What would you like to see changed, or who would you like to see buffed/nerfed? In what way?

Let me start. I feel like Yoshi hits too hard for the way his animations work. Idk why, but he just feels so off to me. He shouldn’t hit so hard with that stumpy tail of his. I’d like to see that changed in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Let me start. I feel like Yoshi hits too hard for the way his animations work. Idk why, but he just feels so off to me. He shouldn’t hit so hard with that stumpy tail of his. I’d like to see that changed in some way.
That seems like an odd logic to apply in a game where a princess with no demonstrated combat potential can handily beat up the incarnation of evil, don't you think?

Most of my most desired updates for the game involve online arenas--I'd love if those were more functional. A mode where the host always stays in the ring, the ability to change characters/songs without leaving line... those are the main two.

As far as characters go, I don't find anyone overpowered enough that I personally care about any nerfs, but there are definitely some characters I'd like to see buffed.

- Little Mac needs his side special to work again after being hit, at the bare minimum--other tweaks could help him but that's the one I'm completely certain about.

- I'd love using Doc if only his recovery was as good as Mario's.

- It still feels arbitrary to me that K. Rool's cannon can't fire back out straight, that Ridley can only recover in 4 directions, and that Peach/Daisy can't grab ledges behind them. As unlikely as this is I'd love all of these changed.

- Reaching even further into the realm of "not gonna happen," I wish Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus were more distinct from their echoes. Just one small but noticeable difference would be enough. Even the slight difference in turnips made me at least think about which princess to use, but then they went and patched that out for some stupid reason.

Last edited:

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
That seems like an odd logic to apply in a game where a princess with no demonstrated combat potential can handily beat up the incarnation of evil, don't you think?

Most of my most desired updates for the game involve online arenas--I'd love if those were more functional. A mode where the host always stays in the ring, the ability to change characters/songs without leaving line... those are the main two.

As far as characters go, I don't find anyone overpowered enough that I personally care about any nerfs, but there are definitely some characters I'd like to see buffed.

- Little Mac needs his side special to work again after being hit, at the bare minimum--other tweaks could help him but that's the one I'm completely certain about.

- I'd love using Doc if only his recovery was as good as Mario's.

- It still feels arbitrary to me that K. Rool's cannon can't fire back out straight, that Ridley can only recover in 4 directions, and that Peach/Daisy can't grab ledges behind them. As unlikely as this is I'd love all of these changed.

- Reaching even further into the realm of "not gonna happen," I wish Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus were more distinct from their echoes. Just one small but noticeable difference would be enough. Even the slight difference in turnips made me at least think about which princess to use, but then they went and patched that out for some stupid reason.
Hahahahaha. You’re right. But she’s a princess. And girl power. That stuff.
I agree with the arena thing too. I hate getting out of line to change stuff. It’s annoying.

To be honest, I LOATHE Dr Mario as he is now. I don’t know why, but I have trouble playing against him. And somehow his recovery is better than Mario’s.
I think Little Mac is okay right now. It already sucks enough to play laggy online against them. Too many smash attacks.

Why are richter and Simon literally the same except for holy water? I mean, what’s the point of adding them to the roster if they’re the same? Filling in spots? Advertising the franchise?
And dark Samus is basically just an edgy version of samus. Little bit of a smaller hurt box, but the same in most other ways (except electric attacks instead of fire).

Online should be tweaked in general.

Also please buff Kirby
I’ve talked about this beforehand on other threads

What other character(s) should be adjusted?

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
-Little Mac needs to be overhauled completely as a character. He sucks but his smash attacks are unfair.
-Luigi needs his Down-B to be a recovery again.
-King K.Rool did not deserve the needs, give the croc some buffs.
-Leaf Shield is not a fun move and should probably nerfed harder.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I mean he can gain a lot of height with his down b and then up b.
Doc's entire recovery chain, with jumps, Tornado, and up special, still doesn't even come close to regular Mario's aerial mobility. Doc has much worse horizontal air movement, almost no height gain, and his reliance on this very specific chain of moves makes him extremely easy to predict and punish while trying to recover from offstage.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Doc's entire recovery chain, with jumps, Tornado, and up special, still doesn't even come close to regular Mario's aerial mobility. Doc has much worse horizontal air movement, almost no height gain, and his reliance on this very specific chain of moves makes him extremely easy to predict and punish while trying to recover from offstage.
Yeah, I guess you’re right.

I don’t know why I have so much trouble with doc

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Yeah, I guess you’re right.

I don’t know why I have so much trouble with doc
Do you pursue him off the stage? I ask because a common mistake some players make (especially those coming from other fighting games) is letting the opponent get back to the stage without a fight, whether because they think it's honorable or maybe they're just not confident with the platforming elements of this game. It's a big difference maker against characters with bad recoveries, like Doc and Mac, as fighting someone who doesn't edgeguard negates that major weakness of theirs and gives them lots of opportunities to turn the match back in their favor.

Last edited:

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Do you pursue him off the stage? I ask because a common mistake some players make (especially those coming from other fighting games) is letting the opponent get back to the stage without a fight, whether because they think it's honorable or maybe they're just not confident with the platforming elements of this game. It's a big difference maker against characters with bad recoveries, like Doc and Mac, as fighting someone who doesn't edgeguard negates that major weakness of theirs and gives them lots of opportunities to turn the match back in their favor.
Hmm... I feel like he keeps me offstage. I rarely have the chance to get him offstage, but when I do, that tornado is really powerful at high percents (he scares me)

Also, since mods don’t use this thread, I can ask you. mind helping me and another person with the 400 bob-om thing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom