• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Research Paper

TheSkinnyTallahassee

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm a college student writing a paper on the Super Smash Bros Community. I would like to ask some questions and all are welcome to reply:

What support does Nintendo have in the Smash Bros Community? (tournaments, patches, etc)
Who plans the tournaments?
Who does the rankings? (for players or characters)
How much of the Smash Community is supported by third party companies?
How much of the Smash Community is supported by fans?
Does Nintendo push the Smash Community at all? i.e like Blizzard pushes Overwatch

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I can answer a few of these.
Who plans the tournaments?
Tournament organizers, they rent out or buy a space where people can play. They also set the rules and run the bracket.
Who does the rankings? (for players or characters)
The general community. Some tier lists are decided by top players, while others are voted on, etc.
How much of the Smash Community is supported by third party companies?
Most top players have some kind of sponsor, for example ZeRo is supported by Team Solo Mid. Streams and big tourneys are supported by Smashboards, Twitch, and the like.
Does Nintendo push the Smash Community at all?
Rarely, I think they might have sponsored EVO once (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Oh, and don't mind Yashichi, he's always like that.

Top Bottom