• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Chess

Would you recommend this to others?

• Heck yea!

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely needs more work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
Someone may have made this before and better, but I just felt like posting it here because I have no friends to share it with :ohwell:.
SMASH CHESS
What is Smash Chess?
Smash Chess is something I thought up during a Chess match with my friend which plays all kinds of Smash Bros. with me. We were talking about Smash 4, and I was like, "Dude, what is we put Smash Bros. in chess?" And Smash Chess was born.

Okay, so what IS Smash Chess?
Smash Chess is played almost normally, but when a piece interacts with another, a battle commences.

So it's regular chess with battles, so what?
Well, lemme explain...

REQUIREMENTS
- a friend. (local play is recommended; online play would be pretty confusing)
- a copy of Smash 4 Wii U OR 2 3DSes with 2 copies of Smash 3DS.
- a chess board with pieces.
- plenty of sweetener; unwanted salt may be included.
- the More Rules tab in Smash > Rules
RECOMMENDED all characters and stages unlocked.
OPTIONAL a handful of DLC.

SET-UP

Set up battles like this: 1 Stock, Custom Fighters off, Handicap on, 1.0x Launch Rate, Random Stage Choice
Have you and a friend start banning REGULAR (NOT Ω) stages until 3 stages are left. If you don't know how just go to Random Stage Switch in More Rules.
If you do not know, to ban a stage means to prevent it from use by anybody.
Now, go to the character roster and begin
banning and protecting characters.
Again if you do not know, to
protect means to make it so you can use it, but nobody else can.
While
protecting characters assign them to different roles like Pawn, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Queen, and King. You will use these characters if their assigned pieces are engaged in battle.
Set up your chess board and decide who is Black and White.

PLAYING THE GAME

Alright, into the meat and potatoes now. There is one thing to note, though: There is no checkmate in Smash Chess. If there is an opening to the King, go for it.*
*Someone questioned it, and I decided to explain further. What I mean is that if you can find an opening to the King you should mention checkmate and try for the piece. When in checkmate, the black side has two options; tip his King and forfeit the match, or commence a battle with the opposing queen. This is up to the player's discretion, to forfeit or to fight. Another thing to note: this does not affect normal Checks; only Checkmate.

Play chess as normal. When you try to take a piece, jump over to Smash and put in your fighters you assigned to the pieces that are in conflict.
Remember the Handicap? Well, There's something I like to call "Ambush Assist" What it is, is that the piece that was attacked gets a 30% handicap. It makes it a little fairer if the piece is assigned to the enemy's main, so you still have a fighting chance. However, even with the handicap, the victim can still win.
If you win a battle, you take the piece and its place, like regular chess. If the attacker loses, the attacker's piece is taken and no pieces are moved. The person who was attacked gets to move.

That's about it! I have some tips to help customize and spice up your game.

TIPS
Try using skins on your characters that represent your side!
Play around with the Ambush Assist handicap! Sudden Death or fair battle?

Use your mains as minor pieces, and more tryhardish characters for more important pieces.
Try this with whatever Smash you prefer!

If I need to specify anything or if I should modify anything, let me know! I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I think this is a cool idea, but for me its too much setup for some smash. Most of my friends will just play free for alls or Smash Tour. But this definitely is a creative idea and potentially be fun for people who can manage smash and chess.
Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I really put effort into setting it up, I can see it being a fun game mode.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Sounds cool! I'm still unclear on how check/checkmate works, though. Could you explain?

In standard chess, the rules regarding check are (more or less):
-If the king can be attacked, he is in check.
-If the king is in check, no piece can move unless their movement puts the king out of check.
-The player cannot make a move that puts their own king in check.
-If a player is in check and cannot make a move that would put them out of check, the player is checkmated and the opponent wins.

I don't know what the rules for this would be, though.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
This sounds cool and I hope this thread stays up instead of having some random mod say it belongs in social

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
Sounds cool! I'm still unclear on how check/checkmate works, though. Could you explain?

In standard chess, the rules regarding check are (more or less):
-If the king can be attacked, he is in check.
-If the king is in check, no piece can move unless their movement puts the king out of check.
-The player cannot make a move that puts their own king in check.
-If a player is in check and cannot make a move that would put them out of check, the player is checkmated and the opponent wins.

I don'Not know what the rules for this would be, though.
Now that I think about it, this could use a little more elaboration. I got a backpack and a half full of homework, so once I'm done I'll think about it and update it.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Okay, that's a little more clear, but a few notes:
First of all, I believe you have your setup wrong. On white's side, the queen should be on the king's left, and should be on a white square.
Secondly, your coordinates given are confusing. You have your rows and columns backward (1-8 is white to black, A-H is white's left to white's right).
Thirdly, that situation is not checkmate. Black could move a pawn from B7 to B6. (G7 to G6 in a correct setup.)
Also, you said that that does not apply to normal check. I still don't know what rules there are for normal check. Are they the same as in normal chess? If not, which of the rules I stated previously are different, and how?

I love the concept, but some of the specifics are a bit unclear, that's all.

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
Okay, that's a little more clear, but a few notes:
First of all, I believe you have your setup wrong. On white's side, the queen should be on the king's left, and should be on a white square.
Secondly, your coordinates given are confusing. You have your rows and columns backward (1-8 is white to black, A-H is white's left to white's right).
Thirdly, that situation is not checkmate. Black could move a pawn from B7 to B6. (G7 to G6 in a correct setup.)
Also, you said that that does not apply to normal check. I still don't know what rules there are for normal check. Are they the same as in normal chess? If not, which of the rules I stated previously are different, and how?

I love the concept, but some of the specifics are a bit unclear, that's all.
Okay, yea I do got that screwed up. I'll just keep it plain and simple. Sorry, I rushed that edit and I was really, really tired

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
I still don't know what rules there are for normal check. Are they the same as in normal chess? If not, which of the rules I stated previously are different, and how?
Oops, forgot to mention that. Check is as normal check; move the king or another piece in the way. That only applies to check; the whole biz in blue is for checkmate.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Thank you for clarifying. I will likely be playing this with my friends soon, but possibly with some modifications.

theraptor2002

Smash Rookie
Hope nobody minds if I bump.
Seriously, though, If I break any rules by doing this, please tell me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom