• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH BUT NOT QUITE - The new thread

TurtleAndGuyProductions

Smash Apprentice
This is the new thread for SBNQ. I feel like I should first address why I'm making a new thread:
The goal of Smash But Not Quite was originally to have three versions. The first would have an equal amount of content replaced as there was total content in Smash64, the second version would have an equal amount of content replaced as there was total content in Melee, and the last version would have everything replaced. I now see that I was overestimating the amount of character PSA's that there are. Due to that, the goal of this project has changed. There will instead be many releases and we will eventually get to all the content replaced.

So, what IS Smash But Not Quite? Smash But Not Quite is a Project M mod that aims to eventually replace everything within the game (Stages, Characters, ETC.) without using PMEX or the Stage Expansion Code

So, with that out of the way, Here's the content currently in development (some might not be in currently released builds):
Mario - Gyrados
Peach - Zero
Captain Falcon - Blaziken
Wolf - Undicided
Fox - Megaman X
Shiek - Spiderman
Link - Scorpion
Toon Link - Skull Kid
Ganondorf - Battletoads
Mewtwo - Dry Bones
Lucario - Deoxys
Jigglypuff - Koopa
Lucas - Marisa
Ness - Sans
Pit - Ridley
Kirby - Ykkuririemu (or however you spell it)
Meta Knight - Haunter
Ike - HECTOR
Marth - Lucina
Roy - Nepgear
Rob - Geno
Snake - Deadpool
Sonic - Shadow

PAGE 1

Metal Cavern - Mushroomy Underground (SBNQ Ver.)
Saffron City - Telstar Stage
Peaches Castle - Captain Falcon. ALT: R.O.B.
Wario Ware - WALUIGI WARE (BM Ver.) ALT: WALUIGI WARE (SSBB Ver.)
Fountain Of Dreams - Metroid Lab
Final Destination - Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl) - Not Quite A City. ALT: Even Less Of A City
Distant Planet - Forever Fall. ALT: Forest Maze
Yoshi's Story - Baby Bowser Battle. ALT: Baby Bowser Battle (SBNQ Ver.)
Green Hill Zone - Labyrinth Zone (SBNQ Ver.). ALT: Chemical Plant Zone
Battlefield - Snowdin. ALT: The Ruins
Delfino's Secret - Battlefield. ALT: More Battlefield.
Dreamland - Undicided

PAGE 2

Jungle Japes - What Is Love?
Onett - Mushroom Kingdom 64
Flat Zone 2 - Waluigi Stadium (SBNQ Ver.)
Luigi's Mansion - Toy Time Galaxy
Corneria - Living Forest. ALT: Ace Attorney
Pirate Ship - Blue Moon Battleship
Training Room - Still the same but the sandbag is now Flappy Bird. ALT: Green Screen Studio.
Skyworld - Majora's Room (SBNQ Ver.)
Hanenbow - Tetris. ALT: Other Tetris
Picto Chat - Outer Wall

---Advanced Training has been added
---Green color scheme on menus
---Updated CSS animation that took way longer than it should have
---Lotsa new music
---All New characters have trophies to go with them. Furthermore, these trophies are ANIMATED. Yeah! ANIMATED TROPHIES. The first animated trophy was uploaded by me to Brawl Vault a while ago.
---Other stuff too

If you are interested in working on this project and can:
Make/edit 3d models,
Make character animations,
Not request I add PMEX or stage expansion cause that's never happening,
Make codes,
Be an announcer,
Or do other things I might be forgetting.
Then just leave a reply on this thread or send me a PM.

One last thing, Don't take any of the currently released builds as anything like what the next version will be like, the two currently released builds are much much worse than whats coming. Especially when what's coming has ANIMATED FREAKING TROPHIES.

If you have any questions or suggestions, tell me in the replies.
Sometimes, Ridleys side smash crashes the game.
Game And Watch crashes the game.

Last edited:

TurtleAndGuyProductions

Smash Apprentice
NEW THREAD NEW DEV UPDATE:

MAJORA'S ROOM!

Ah yes, who could forget Majora's Room. The stage that looked nice but was actually just a completely flat walkoff stage. Well, I changed that

Using elements from a re-texture of FD64 and another stage by some other people who are listed in the credits.txt, Majora's Room is now a flat stage with two tilted platforms at either side. It doesn't end there, however! The mask in the background will eventually shake, and the platforms will change position.

There are a total of 9 platform layouts for this stage that will change throughout the battle.

Last edited:

TurtleAndGuyProductions

Smash Apprentice
Although the next version probably won't be releasing by Halloween this time this year, I did want to announce something Halloween-themed for the next version.

The coin shooter has been heavily edited and turned into...

The Spook Room! (it looks better in game) It plays the song "2Spooky4U" By Fandroid. The coins were retextured to have a skull on them
and all the enemies, except the Plunks (The black ball things that you can't shoot), Have been replaced with skulls, with the missiles being replaced with red skulls. The model for the skull is by GentelmanPotato, as such, he is listed in the credit.txt.
The Plunks, however, were replaced with pumpkins. The pumpkins, too, were made by GentelmanPotato.

Top Bottom