• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros speculations are a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It's less what people expect and more what people want.
Not like there's much else to talk about in the way of new content.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what else is a joke?

EVERYTHING!!!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Although it's clear the OP is probably trying to troll (he made a new account and his first post is basically telling us how useless half of Smashboards is?), I can't help but feel inclined to agree with him, on some level at least. Out-of-the-blue characters like Wii Fit Trainer prove that even with our most thorough speculation, we'll always miss the most obvious franchises, characters and ideas.

Not only that, but I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again here - although he doesn't always get things perfect, I think in many ways Sakurai knows what we really want in a Smash Bros. game far better than we do, which often means our predictions and hopes are slightly skewed. Pokemon Trainer is an example of a character that was staring us smack in the face the whole time (the guy is the protagonist of the original games and has shown up in all 5 generations of Pokemon so far) but few of us went out of our way to predict. R.O.B., likewise, is a character that many wouldn't have initially asked for (he had his supporters, don't get me wrong) but is so crucial to Nintendo's history that it'd be stupid for him to not be there. Same goes for a number of other characters - Mr. Game and Watch was completely unpredictable, Villager had his supporters but wasn't way up there in popularity (despite the Animal Crossing franchise being one of Nintendo's biggest); Zero Suit was effective in illustrating the other half of Samus's personality that's been there since the NES (Justin Bailey anyone? :p) and Falcon was probably not the most well-known character before Smash 64 but now that he's been in the series for 3 games, I don't think we'd have it any other way.

I'm not saying Sakurai gets everything right (tripping wut) but he does seem to be pretty much one step ahead of us in choosing unique, mostly-important characters as well as making sure the roster is coherent and fits together nicely. Too often people make suggestions of characters without thinking about just what kind of impact that character has on the roster, who that character is competing with (limited roster spots and all that) and how it will all fit together. In that sense, yes, I'd say Smash Bros. speculation is a bit redundant because we're always going to be making stabs in the dark, but at the end of the day, it's all a bit of good fun.

Reznor

work in progress
Although it's clear the OP is probably trying to troll (he made a new account and his first post is basically telling us how useless half of Smashboards is?), I can't help but feel inclined to agree with him, on some level at least. Out-of-the-blue characters like Wii Fit Trainer prove that even with our most thorough speculation, we'll always miss the most obvious franchises, characters and ideas.

Not only that, but I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again here - although he doesn't always get things perfect, I think in many ways Sakurai knows what we really want in a Smash Bros. game far better than we do, which often means our predictions and hopes are slightly skewed. Pokemon Trainer is an example of a character that was staring us smack in the face the whole time (the guy is the protagonist of the original games and has shown up in all 5 generations of Pokemon so far) but few of us went out of our way to predict. R.O.B., likewise, is a character that many wouldn't have initially asked for (he had his supporters, don't get me wrong) but is so crucial to Nintendo's history that it'd be stupid for him to not be there. Same goes for a number of other characters - Mr. Game and Watch was completely unpredictable, Villager had his supporters but wasn't way up there in popularity (despite the Animal Crossing franchise being one of Nintendo's biggest); Zero Suit was effective in illustrating the other half of Samus's personality that's been there since the NES (Justin Bailey anyone? :p) and Falcon was probably not the most well-known character before Smash 64 but now that he's been in the series for 3 games, I don't think we'd have it any other way.

I'm not saying Sakurai gets everything right (tripping wut) but he does seem to be pretty much one step ahead of us in choosing unique, mostly-important characters as well as making sure the roster is coherent and fits together nicely. Too often people make suggestions of characters without thinking about just what kind of impact that character has on the roster, who that character is competing with (limited roster spots and all that) and how it will all fit together. In that sense, yes, I'd say Smash Bros. speculation is a bit redundant because we're always going to be making stabs in the dark, but at the end of the day, it's all a bit of good fun.
Wii Fit Trainer makes sense though so its not out of the blue

CalumG

Smash Lord
Wii Fit Trainer makes sense though so its not out of the blue
Exactly, that's what I mean! It's not really 'out of the blue' because in retrospect, it was such a logical choice (representing one of Nintendo's best financial decisions in years) and was pretty much staring us right in the face, yet none of us managed to see it coming. That's precisely what I was getting at - sometimes we as fans get so caught up in our personal wants and speculation that we just don't see the truly obvious and/or logical choices.

Hong

The Strongest
First post of most character threads said:
This is the character I want in
- I think they are the most popular character for some reason
- Rated high on a poll which wasn't a poll at all
- Their game was "popular" which means this characters is a shoe-in
- I have no regard for whether or not this character has anything to offer in the way of FUN, UNIQUE, INTERESTING gameplay
- I have no idea what I am talking about in any way what-so-ever

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
My opinion is objectively right, your opinion is wrong.
Stop disagreeing with me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All of you dumb people should stop talking.

I'm the only smart one, so I'm the only one allowed to talk.

Hong

The Strongest
Masahiro Sakurai's grandfather likes gardening -> creator of Kid Icarus -> Eggplant Wizard confirmed

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Quit speculating it's stupid just ask me who's going to be in
I'll confirm all the newcomers for you it's easy watch
I like Jimmy T. Confirmed.
What do you mean I have no evidence? You're so rude
I'm gonna ignore u if u don't quit
*ignore*

*Cycle starts again with different user*

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey, at least people have a snippet of realism this time around. Some people were just hell bent on having a roster of 50 characters pre-Brawl, which is unlikely we'll even get this time around. I'm actually rather impressed with the community this time.

Hong

The Strongest
Hey, at least people have a snippet of realism this time around. Some people were just hell bent on having a roster of 50 characters pre-Brawl, which is unlikely we'll even get this time around. I'm actually rather impressed with the community this time.
In the clouds.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I imagine people made the 50 character assumption because Melee had near-about double the character Smash 64 had, and people assumed the next game would follow suit. Anybody who has any semblance of knowledge concerning game development knows that this is faulty logic, but hey, nothing can stop the Smash community from looking for patterns where there aren't any. :troll:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Proof of this!
*During the Brawl days*
Some dude: RAY MK IS VERY LIKELY TO GET IN!
*Ray is an assist trophy*

YESH! YESH!
The Reason why i dont visit ''Roster Prediction/Discussion & Cut Threads''

Also Sakurai went back on his word about Villager so we cant be blamed...it was a low blow...

Atleast we got Megaman right.

If you think about it the 3 chars revealed were perfect in 3 big main points.

Villager - Someone who got scrapped and was deemed impossible was re thought

Megaman - who we expected the main push in hype what we wanted

WFT - Out the blue unexpected sakurai even said ''i bet you werent expecting that!'' but appropriate still.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
do you know what's a joke? GamesRadar.

SERIOUSLY? cutting MARTH? because of RECENCY? Idiots.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
do you know what's a joke? GamesRadar.

SERIOUSLY? cutting MARTH? because of RECENCY? Idiots.
The relevancy freaks... *hits "dislike" button*

Honestly, I stopped watching the video when they said Marth would be cut.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Smash Bros speculations are a joke!
It's not like anyone here is claiming that that these speculations are actually going to accomplish anything. The whole point of this speculation and what not is to make the wait for the game more bearable. We know petitions and more official campaigns are the way to go to request a character - that's not what this is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom