• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Boards First Bi-Monthly Film Festival

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=1209]Smash Boards First Bi-Monthly Film Festival[/drupal]

Introduction
Where I go to school we have a competition called the Five-Day Film Festival. Basically groups of three to five people have five days to make the most entertaining film they can. I’m proposing that we bring something like this over to Smash Boards. It’s something is meant to be a lot of fun, and an exercise in filmmaking. Now I know for a fact that we have a few filmmakers on this site, so I’m putting this out here now to see what kind of response it garners. Depending on the reception I might not decide to do it.

The days that I am looking at right now are:
Thursday March 26th at 7p.m.
To
Tuesday March 31st at 7p.m.

Rules
1) Entrants have a total of five days to shoot, edit and submit a short film.
2) Films can be no longer then EIGHT minutes.
3) Teams can consist of ONE to FIVE members of Smash Boards.
a) This is just to keep it fair. However, you can have as many outside actors as you wish.
b) If you have friends that you want to do this with outside of the forums then feel free to have them help you, but only list the Smash Board members.
4) There are certain requirements that must be included in the film:
a. Genre
b. Character
c. Lines
More on this later
5) If the film is turned in after the deadline, then it will be disqualified.
6) Be tasteful please. No nudity. Profanity and violence, however, are allowed.

I’ll see if I can think of any more.

The Catch
What makes this so interesting is the addition of the random selections. At the start of the competition, one member from each of the groups will randomly select items from three categories.

Genre
These include Noir, Horror, and Action. This is what the overall tone of your movie must follow. Be creative! Getting a crappy selection like documentary can yield amazing results if done right.

Character

This is a character that MUST appear somewhere in your film. It is important to note that the character does NOT need to be the central focus. They could just be in one quick scene. However, you should make sure that you identify the character or else we might miss it.

Lines

Two lines will be chosen that must be included in the film in some way. These are the hardest part to come up with, so if anyone has suggestions, be sure to let me know. If I don’t have enough I’m going to farm IMDB.

When you edit your video, you should include a slate with the following information:
Name of Group
Genre Chosen
Character
Lines

Format

Here is how I picture this going down:

Before the Competition
Teams will sign up. The earlier you sign up the better because you will receive priority in the next section. As stated before, teams can be made up of one to five members of the Boards. There may be a limit on the amount of people that can sign up based on limitations in some categories.

Day 1
I will have all the options arranged randomly each with a corresponding number. Based on the order that people sign up, groups will select a number for each category (two for lines) and will have to use them in their movies. This will most likely be done in one centralized area, probably in an AIM chat room so it happens in real time. Numbers will be chosen at or around 7p.m.

Days 1-5
Groups can make their movie through any means.

Day 5
All entries must be submitted to a video website (YouTube, Google video), preferably something easy to embed into a Smash Thread. The movies must be uploaded and posted in this thread before 7p.m.

After the Competition
Starting at 7p.m. on the last day, members of the forums can vote on their favorites. There will also be categories such as best actor/actress. Each person will get one vote apiece.

So tell your friends here, get a group together, and let’s make some movies! I’ll update more later as I think of more things.

I didn't know the proper place to put this, so I took a stab at putting it here. Spread the word! If you are interested in doing this be sure to let me know!

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
On YouTube you can just copy/paste an embedded link and have the video in the thread.

Top Bottom