• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Stage Hacking?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I know there's not a ton of stuff that's been done in the sense of hacking smash 64 (though I have seen some texture swaps like giving yellow Mario a zigzag mustache and angry eyes), but I saw that the 19xx hack was able to move the panels in the stage select screen around and it got me to thinking. Has anyone come along and made some real stage hacks a la brawl or are we ever going to get to that point?

I thought since the ruleset is slowly looking to become dreamland only, maybe we could give each stage a "kappa form", which would basically be like an omega stage but they would all function the exact same as dream land. (The Kappa stands for Kirby as well as the infamous twitch emote).

We could replace whispy woods with the great deku tree for Hyrule Castle and a grass Pokemon menagerie in Saffron City. Also I selfishly want a stage based off the Rugrats n64 game. 90s kid guilty pleasure :)

D

Deleted member

It's very difficult to hack stages, let alone a full stage, in Smash 64. NOKAUBURE NOKAUBURE tried to make YuMi her own stage, and there were so many lines of code for the most basic of things. And also it only worked in training mode. :S I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would take a huge amount of dedication and time.

NOKAUBURE

Smash Apprentice
And also it only worked in training mode.
That's the reason I droped the project. In fact it was easy to figure (except texture vertex data) and I could export all the geometry to Blender only with a ram dump, but my main motivation of sharing custom stages through kaillera was broken, even if I trick the game to turn training mode into vs mode the kaillera client only allows up to 255 cheat lines. That said, if anyone wants to edit stages just go directly to rom edditing, don't bother with the ram.

D

Deleted member

That's the reason I droped the project. In fact it was easy to figure (except texture vertex data) and I could export all the geometry to Blender only with a ram dump, but my main motivation of sharing custom stages through kaillera was broken, even if I trick the game to turn training mode into vs mode the kaillera client only allows up to 255 cheat lines. That said, if anyone wants to edit stages just go directly to rom edditing, don't bother with the ram.
;(

D

Deleted member

What about working on the Secret/Hack stages? If i remember correctly there were a couple of leftover Stages that looks like Dreamland, These cannot be incorporated?
i'm all for it!

Top Bottom